planetneutral's Master Rating Log 2021-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
View previous topic :: View next topic
planetneutral

• Posted: 03/07/2021 23:55
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Just because the subset of music nerds on this site hasn't rated it much doesn't mean it's insignificant.

Acknowledged. But there is also little correlation between sales/popularity and significance or merit. Color Me Badd has a triple-platinum album, but Rolling Stone isn't trying to tell me it's one of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

Quote:
Congrats on finishing the list! Have enjoyed reading about your journey, even if I may disagree a good bit of the time.

Thank you! I knew before I even started the diary that I'm prone to some pretty unpopular takes. I do hesitate a little more now that I know at least a few people will read them. But what good is it being dishonest with myself, right? That said, I'm totally open to reconsidering my crappy takes on anything, since I'd like to enjoy almost anything more than I already do. Tell me I'm wrong, people!
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2021 00:12
  • Post subject:
I mean if some of those earlier reviews where on his diary, maybe there could be some conversation. Discovery is a bit of a prime example. Also don't know how you felt of Love Deluxe, but I could see why if you weren't a fan. But in other cases I would give hopefully better recommendations, like I would hit you up with both Bocanada and Siempre Es Hoy from Gustavo Cerati to delve into more Hispanic based music with a more rock and electronic backdrop.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2021 02:40
  • Post subject:
planetneutral wrote:
Acknowledged. But there is also little correlation between sales/popularity and significance or merit. Color Me Badd has a triple-platinum album, but Rolling Stone isn't trying to tell me it's one of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

I'd say having a lot of sales/popularity makes an album historically significant - even if it didn't end up being super influential, it's significant to understanding what that era was like. But of course you're right that sales correlate weakly to quality.

Given that Chaka Khan is a pretty legendary musician, they may have been choosing an album of hers to feature, as opposed to the selection being all about the content of this particular album. That sort of reverse engineering is not how I would construct an album list, but oh well. I have enjoyed everything I've heard by Rufus & Chaka Khan though.
planetneutral

• Posted: 03/08/2021 03:31
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Given that Chaka Khan is a pretty legendary musician, they may have been choosing an album of hers to feature, as opposed to the selection being all about the content of this particular album. That sort of reverse engineering is not how I would construct an album list, but oh well. I have enjoyed everything I've heard by Rufus & Chaka Khan though.

Yes, exactly, it's these fairly brazen signs of reverse engineering that I'm really highlighting. The album is OK, but I've always loved the energy of the Stompin' at the Savoy live release, which is in my CD collection. Probably unrealistic of me to hope for a single studio release to be as consistent.
  • Visit poster's website
planetneutral

• Posted: 03/08/2021 03:43
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
I mean if some of those earlier reviews where on his diary, maybe there could be some conversation. Discovery is a bit of a prime example. Also don't know how you felt of Love Deluxe, but I could see why if you weren't a fan. But in other cases I would give hopefully better recommendations, like I would hit you up with both Bocanada and Siempre Es Hoy from Gustavo Cerati to delve into more Hispanic based music with a more rock and electronic backdrop.

Appreciate the suggestions.

All 500 of the Rolling Stone albums with my comments and ratings are in reverse order here: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/planetne...-complete/

My complete rating log in chronological order is here: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/planetne...ating-log/
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/15/2021 03:32
  • Post subject:
dunno if this is a good list of the 1001 albums... but after being deliberate off and on trying to get through it (and it being sometimes incredibly painful) - I'm finally under 100 albums left! (922/1001).

Anyway, I know your project is slightly different, but wanted to celebrate somewhere someone maybe cares... Laughing .

https://www.listchallenges.com/1001-alb...u-die-2016
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/15/2021 03:36
  • Post subject:
oh I just realized you finished - congrats!

And I'm glad you spoke from your heart; loved your commentary (albeit, I didn't read it all, so I should say I love the commentary I did read... hehe)
  • Visit poster's website
dgold

United States

• Posted: 11/26/2021 21:27
  • Post subject:
It looks like I have my work cut-out for me. Brick wall

Pardon, BRB AFK, I'll be here a while reading this music diary. Applause

Excellent commentary Planetneutral and forum-friends! I just joined today for this thread
  • Visit poster's website