Opinions of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States
  • Posted: 11/14/2011 23:32
  • Post subject: Opinions of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Obviously this thread is quite specific to people that have been there. I was recently in Cleveland so I obviously had to make time to see it, but I have to say I was very unimpressed and had two big issues.

First is that it was simply a terrible layout. There was no flow at all and I very well could have missed sections of it because of how confusing it was. It's a big pyramid and there must have been 5 or 6 floors, but there what no rhyme or reason to where anything was. There was one small section that went in chronological order, while I was figuring that the whole thing would do so. I just wish it was set up with a little more order.

Second, there was not NEARLY enough Led Zeppelin. In one section there were giant displays for The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Hendrix, and then slightly smaller ones for U2, and several other bands I can't recall, but no Zeppelin display. I figured for sure they would be given their own section. There were countless guitars all over the museum but I never found one from Jimmy Page, although maybe I missed one somewhere along the line. I just felt as though they were slighted.

One section I did enjoy was the chronological displays of the different movements in american rock, especially grunge in the 90's. Anyways, other thoughts for people that have seen it? Maybe I'm in the minority?
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam
  • Posted: 11/15/2011 05:50
  • Post subject:
I've never been there.

Thing is, there are still many cities I would like to go 2.

But Cleveland is not on the list.

And with what you said about Led Zeppelin..........Fuck em anyway Evil or Very Mad

I have seen the Country Music Hall Of Fame in Nashville though and it's pretty cool. Very Happy

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States
  • Posted: 11/15/2011 12:06
  • Post subject:
haha yes I was not at all excited when I found out I'd be going to Cleveland of all cities, but the Hall Of Fame is the only thing that made me remotely excited. But hey glad to hear at least the Country Hall Of Fame is decent.
  • Visit poster's website
kidamnesiac
  • Posted: 11/15/2011 13:08
  • Post subject:
i went to the baseball hall of fame when i was 12 and took infield with the tigers for 15 minutes
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States
  • Posted: 11/15/2011 13:15
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
I've never been there.

And with what you said about Led Zeppelin..........Fuck em anyway Evil or Very Mad

I have seen the Country Music Hall Of Fame in Nashville though and it's pretty cool. Very Happy

So GARY,

You never wanted to be like Spinal Tap and say...

????
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam
  • Posted: 11/15/2011 13:20
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
GARY wrote:
I've never been there.

So GARY,

You never wanted to be like Spinal Tap and say...

????

Laughing

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 11/15/2011 17:07
  • Post subject:
Never been, would like to.

I think they're doing a pretty good job on the inductees, though there are some truly baffling exclusions such as Deep Purple, Kraftwerk and Joy Division.
  • Visit poster's website
Mind Movie
  • Posted: 11/15/2011 22:11
  • Post subject:
After I've gone through all the inductees, I've realized that there's not a single krautrock band in this hall. Strange, as krautrock was one of the most innovative and influental movements in the history of rock music. At least Kraftwerk (and maybe Can) deserves to be among the inductees.

They don't seem to be very friendly to progresive rock either.
musicmanstu

United States
  • Posted: 07/27/2012 19:04
  • Post subject:
It's a complete waste of time. How bands like Deep Purple, Judas Priest, Rush, Thin Lizzy, Kiss, etc... can be ignored is just a disgrace. Similar to the mindset of Rolling Stone magazine (which is the last music mag I would buy), its very clicky and thinks Run DMC, the Beastie Boys, and Jackson Browne should be in before the legends I mentioned. I love Springsteen, but he could wipe his ass all over a copy of RS, or piss all over the HOF and they would still worship him. Maybe tbose ancient dope smoking hippies should get out of there, so the bands that really inspired people to pick up a guitar can get in.

Last edited by musicmanstu on 07/27/2012 19:42; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada
  • Posted: 07/27/2012 19:28
  • Post subject:
musicmanstu wrote:
It's a complete waste of time. How bands like Deep Purple, Judas Priest, Rush, Thin Lizzy, Kiss, etc... can be ignored is just a disgrace. Similar to the mindset of Rolling Stone magazine (which is the last music mag I would buy), its very clicky and thinks Run DMC, the Beastie Boys, and Jackson Browne should be in before the legends I mentioned. I love Springsteen, but he couldwipe his ass all over a copy of RS, or piss all over the HOF and they would still worship him. Maybe tbose ancient dope smoking hippies should get out of there, so the bands that really inspired people to pick up a guitar can get in.

Well. I agree with most of this if you got rid of Thin Lizzy, Kiss, Deep Purple & Judas Priest in the first line.

I actually think it's an insult to the history of rock music. It completely ignores underground music. (or what most of society thinks is 'obscure'). Joy Division, Arcade Fire, Sonic Youth & Radiohead, etc...At least the Talking Heads are in it, which is surprising.

There's only few good artists in the inductees right now. Tom Waits being a recent one. Miles Davis shouldn't be there, for he isn't rock. Rolling Eyes Same with Run-DMC. Madonna is fucking in it Brick wall Bonnie Raitt, Tom Petty, Rod Stewert, Ruth Brown & Dion Rolling Eyes ugh. Like, WTF? d'oh!

They should just tear down the entire think and forget it existed.