Get To Know A Top 10: January 2022 Thread - Jameth

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which album is your favorite? Please listen to all ten before voting.
In The Court Of The Crimson King by King Crimson
20%
 20%  [3]
Shahen-Shah by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
0%
 0%  [0]
Les Dragons by Ninki-Nanka
0%
 0%  [0]
Ege Bamyasi by Can
13%
 13%  [2]
The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady by Charles Mingus
60%
 60%  [9]
Gris-Gris by Dr. John
6%
 6%  [1]
The River by Ali Farka Touré
0%
 0%  [0]
Drums Of Passion by Olatunji
0%
 0%  [0]
Machine Gun by Peter Brötzmann
0%
 0%  [0]
In The 7th Moon, The Chief Turned Into A Swimming Fish And Ate The Head Of His Enemy By Magic by Kasai Allstars
0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes : 15

Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 01/09/2022 19:29
  • Post subject:
Peter Brötzmann - Machine Gun

You ever hear someone say or see someone post:
"Yeah, I like some free jazz, but I just can't get into this"?

That's kind of what's going on here. Although unlike some free jazz that takes a few listens to catch on, the opposite is happening here. I actually took to this album more upon early listens and my appreciation wanes with each new spin.

It truly is the most relentless aural onslaught I've ever heard in any genre. Really, the most aggressive thrash metal is tame by comparison.

But the problem is that there is so much emphasis on the bludgeoning, that I have some difficulty hearing the creativity. I hear moments, but never across an entire song, and those are some pretty lengthy songs, so a little structure or something identifiable as flow would really help.

I know this album is a landmark; pivotal, revolutionary, seminal.... and I'm not completely condemning the album, but it's something the more I tend to think of more along the lines of the naked emperor than a legit recipient of all that renown.

1. Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
2. King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
3. Ali Farka Touré - The River
4. Ninki-Nanka - Les Dragons
5. Can - Ege Bamyasi
6. Olatunji - Drums of Passion
7. Dr. John - Gris-Gris
8. Shahen-Shah - Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
9. Peter Brötzmann - Machine Gun
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 01/09/2022 22:58
  • Post subject:
Kasai Allstars - In The 7th Moon, The Chief Turned Into A Swimming Fish And Ate The Head Of His Enemy By Magic

Another fine choice.

But this is a really tough group.

In the end, my vote goes where I expected it to go though. No surprises this time, but some really excellent discovery!

Thanks Baystate for setting this up and thanks Jameth for the great list!

1. Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
2. King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
4. Ninki-Nanka - Les Dragons
5. Can - Ege Bamyasi
6. Olatunji - Drums of Passion
7. Kasai Allstars - In The 7th Moon, The Chief Turned Into A Swimming Fish And Ate The Head Of His Enemy By Magic
8. Dr. John - Gris-Gris
9. Shahen-Shah - Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
10. Peter Brötzmann - Machine Gun
  • Visit poster's website
indieshins

Australia

• Posted: 01/09/2022 23:30
  • Post subject:
I've listened to Ege Bamyasi twice, Shahen-Shah once, and now I'm listening to Les Dragons. Can is probably my favourite at the moment, but I can't say it's emotionally involving, providing a more cerebral interest that feels a bit distancing. Not necessarily a bad thing, just something I noticed. I need to give Shahen-Shah a closer listen, because my first listen of albums is usually while I'm doing other things, so I just take in the general vibe rather than details. I quite liked it for all that, though. No idea what's being said, but like the tone and feeling it evokes. He was a great singer, I realise. Never got to listening to any of his work before, and he died the year before I was born, so was never in any sort of public consciousness. I'd heard of him, of course, and an artist's death should never be a reason not to listen to them, just not the sort of thing anyone in my circle would have talked about. I'm glad to have heard a bit of that music now, though.
kokkinos

• Posted: 01/11/2022 22:12
  • Post subject:
So, the plan is to start listening from #10 and work my way up.
In The 7th Moon, The Chief Turned Into A Swimming Fish And Ate The Head Of His Enemy By Magic
Is this one of the best album titles ever? Definitely. I hadn’t listened to this album up to this point, neither am I familiar with the music scene it represents. The challenge for such albums is whether their charm will simply rely on how exotic they are or if they can take the next step and actually "include" the listener in their company and make him relate, feel a natural part of the group or culture they embody. I think this record lies somewhere in between, though I'd say it's clearly closer to the former category, as there are few moments where you get lost in the magic, but it struggles to keep this vibe. Also, some parts seem to endlessly drag without being able to justify their length, though this may be directly related to the above, i.e. that I didn’t manage to connect with it for the most part. I highly doubt I will feel the urge to listen to it again, but a super cool, out of the ordinary entry nonetheless.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 01/12/2022 18:22
  • Post subject:
Machine Gun
Yes, I know this one. I ‘ve tried my luck a couple of times, but to no avail. Sadly, my latest attempt didn't change much. Heavy and aggressive albums rarely do the trick for me and this is one of the most extreme cases. This wildly experimental, noisy mess requires a fearless heart in order to be properly enjoyed, only the bravest listeners can look it right in the eye. The rest of us – myself included – can admire what an irreverent maverick of an album it is, as it makes us forget everything we know about how music is supposed to be. Very few – if any – records can compare to Machine Gun in terms of the listening experience it offers, so I’d definitely recommend giving it a try to anyone who is remotely interested in music, you won’t find anything similar. To sum it up, I respect it more than I like it. Still, it ranks ahead of In The 7th Moon... for me.
(I like the format Fischman used, so I 'll be updating my rankings after each post.)

1. Peter Brötzmann - Machine Gun
2. Kasai Allstars - In The 7th Moon, The Chief Turned Into A Swimming Fish And Ate The Head Of His Enemy By Magic
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 01/12/2022 21:22
  • Post subject:
Drums Of Passion
Another record I’m familiar with, but this one I like much more. Drums Of Passion succeeds in what In The 7th Moon… only partially got right, namely it creates an extremely powerful communal feeling, it’s as if this tradition runs in your blood. It’s great when you listen to it on your own, yet it’s even better when you are hanging with the homies, I’ve had tons of fun with it – actually, I knew a couple of guys that would organise a party that would play exactly this type of music pretty much every week, those were good times, I wonder if that’s still a thing. It’s a clear case of infinite replay value, no matter how many times you listen to it, it simply won’t age. Percussion-oriented albums are far from what I’m usually looking for in music, but Olatunji is one of the few exceptions, he really gets you in the groove. Nothing against the vocals as well, they add an extra flavour. A clear #1 so far.

1. Olatunji - Drums of Passion
2. Peter Brötzmann - Machine Gun
3. Kasai Allstars - In The 7th Moon, The Chief Turned Into A Swimming Fish And Ate The Head Of His Enemy By Magic
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 01/12/2022 21:30
  • Post subject:
The River
This was new to me and what a nice surprise it was. He really knows how to bring his guitar to life and get the most out of it. African music and the blues are presented in an unexpectedly appealing way that doesn’t compromise in terms of how “authentic” it sounds. If Drums Of Passion is the soundtrack of a tribal ritual, then The River is what you’ll be listening when the feverish dancing is over and you want to get lost in the African landscape, relax and enjoy your daydream. Good enough for #2 - but far behind #1.

2. Ali Farka Touré - The River
3. Peter Brötzmann - Machine Gun
4. Kasai Allstars - In The 7th Moon, The Chief Turned Into A Swimming Fish And Ate The Head Of His Enemy By Magic
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 01/12/2022 22:03
  • Post subject:
Gris-Gris
My first impression is that this album is really weird. On the one hand, it is interesting and you want to spend more time with it, but at the same time it makes you feel slightly uncomfortable, as if you might discover something you won’t like if you stick around. Its biggest strength is that it plays by its own rules, something I do appreciate. I am not a fan of throwing this term around, yet I can’t help thinking Dr. John is an underrated artist that deserves more recognition and more love - this observation is based exclusively on this record, no idea what his body of work looks like, though I'd like to find out. All in all, he easily surpasses anyone not named Olatunji in my list.

2. Dr. John - Gris-Gris
4. Peter Brötzmann - Machine Gun
5. Kasai Allstars - In The 7th Moon, The Chief Turned Into A Swimming Fish And Ate The Head Of His Enemy By Magic
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 01/12/2022 22:53
  • Post subject:
Ranking of those I already know:

1. Mingus, probably. For the reasons everyone already figured out.
2. Ege Bamyasi, because it is everything. Never before or since has percussion mattered so much in rock music. Psych-funk that still sounds like The Fall. You cannot fuck with it.
3. Nusrat. Growing up, Nusrat was unavoidable in Brum. He plays in most taxis. This isn’t his best, but it might be his most varied and most accessible. I prefer his 40-minute drone jams. Fight me.
4. Dr. John. I romanticise the Nolia. I need to go. This album is crazy.
5. Machine Gun. Silly.
6. King Crimson. Not their best, but a very great rock album.
7. Kasai Allstars. Lots of fun. Any list of seven albums in which this is seventh best is a great fucking list, frankly.

I’ll check the other three soon. Great stuff.
guzguzgarbit
Book Of Noraia

France

• Posted: 01/13/2022 09:38
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:

On another note, could anyone provide me with ANY information about the album Les Dragons or the artist Ninki-Nanka? The album's on streaming services so I was able to listen, but I absolutely cannot find any information about the album or artist whatsoever. All online searches either lead me to spotify/apple music/etc. or... here. Any background info about the music is much appreciated!

I've done some search myself and I've found this quite comprehensive book by Margit Smith who made the album:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RezsYS...57wAj/view

It appears to have been recorded in July 1993 on tape before being released on CD in 2011 in France.

You can find more recordings here: https://mycampus.maine.edu/web/uc-libra...mande-kora
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website