Album of the day (#4037): The Stone Roses by The Stone Roses

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/07/2022 21:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#4037): The Stone Roses by The Stone Roses
Today's album of the day

The Stone Roses by The Stone Roses (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1989.
Overall rank: 34
Average rating: 86/100 (from 2106 votes).

Tracks:
1. I Wanna Be Adored
2. She Bangs The Drums
3. Waterfall
4. Don't Stop
5. Bye Bye Badman
6. Elizabeth My Dear
7. (Song For My) Sugar Spun Sister
8. Made Of Stone
9. Shoot You Down
10. This Is The One
11. I Am The Resurrection

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
rockbluesfolkjaz

United States

• Posted: 01/07/2022 22:43
  • Post subject:
The Stone Roses was released the year my daughter was born. I love the album and have excellent memories of the era, those which often come to mind on every listen. And yes, she has been adored ever since. The album as well.
LordMark

Canada

• Posted: 01/08/2022 08:26
  • Post subject:
One of my favourite albums!

Here's how I listen to it:

1. I Wanna Be Adored
2. She Bangs the Drums
3. Elephant Stone (12" version)
4. Waterfall
5. Bye Bye Badman
6. Elizabeth My Dear
7. (Song for My) Sugar Spun Sister
8. Made of Stone
9. Shoot You Down
10. This Is the One
11. I Am the Resurrection
12. Fools Gold (12" version)

* Honestly, I really don't care for "Don't Stop". I love "Waterfall", but I really don't understand why The Stone Roses felt the need to record a similar-sounding backwards version of it.
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 01/08/2022 11:47
  • Post subject:
Last night I nightmared about me relistening to it, and then in another segment I was publicly roasted by freaking Cardi B; and that was more enjoyable. That says a lot about how much I hate (and yes hate is a strong word but in this case it's probably an understatement) this little album.
The "melodies" are forcefully grating, the beats are otherworldly abysmal, the mixing is awful, the psychedelic elements is the worst thing produced in that style, the singing is super unremarkable.
I can remember it being album of the day someday in 2018 and I stated how I thought it was one of the most overrated ones in history. Now I think it is THE most overrated, with Kid A. Baggy Madchester might just be my least favorite music-genre period. This album embodies everything I hate about music and humanity itself. This album, alongside some of the threats from fans of it, is God's punishment to me. This album is the musical equivalent to vomit as your wedding dinner.

Apologies for my ranting and to anyone to genuinely likes it (nothing against you), but this is in my bottom 20 albums ever, one of my few 0s.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 01/08/2022 14:53
  • Post subject:
Although it's still good, I can help but notice that I like this album quite a bit less compared to when I first heard it, which was some 8-9 years ago. I still love She Bangs The Drums, Made of Stone and I Am The Ressurection and consider them amazing songs, but I don't care that much for the rest of the album.
Something about the muddy production annoys me, and Ian Brown is in all honesty, a terrible singer, so bland and uninteresting.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 01/08/2022 15:57
  • Post subject:
DommeDamian wrote:
the beats are otherworldly abysmal, the mixing is awful, the psychedelic elements is the worst thing produced in that style.

Yes, the production is very peculiar on this album. It's very tiny and quiet (comparing to the super-loud Oasis albums, for example). In that sense, it's a very 80's album.
Whereas in term of melody, it prefigured some of the 90's stuff (Beatles revival and Britpop).
Many people think that psychedelism works great on this album (especially on drugs, as I've heard). And yes, there's a certain interesting wall of sound for sure! But personnaly I would have loved more spaciousness. Yet, in the end I think this bizarre production made the album age well.
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/08/2022 20:50
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:
Although it's still good, I can help but notice that I like this album quite a bit less compared to when I first heard it, which was some 8-9 years ago. I still love She Bangs The Drums, Made of Stone and I Am The Ressurection and consider them amazing songs, but I don't care that much for the rest of the album.
Something about the muddy production annoys me, and Ian Brown is in all honesty, a terrible singer, so bland and uninteresting.

I get that daydreamer. I felt the same way when I listened to it a few weeks ago. It’s been a couple years since I last listened to it. It’s still great but it’s maybe not aging as well as some other albums from the same era.
  • Visit poster's website