Album of the day (#4091): Harvest by Neil Young

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/02/2022 21:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#4091): Harvest by Neil Young
Today's album of the day

Harvest by Neil Young (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1972.
Overall rank: 101
Average rating: 84/100 (from 1583 votes).

Tracks:
1. Out On The Weekend
2. Harvest
3. A Man Needs A Maid
4. Heart Of Gold
5. Are You Ready For The Country?
6. Old Man
7. There's A World
8. Alabama
9. The Needle And The Damage Done
10. Words (Between The Lines Of Age)

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 03/02/2022 21:55
  • Post subject:
Even though this is his biggest album commercially and Heart of Gold being his most popular song, this is by faaaaar my least favorite album of his essentials (this, Everybody Knows, Gold Rush, On The Beach, Tonight). I even love Harvest Moon and the s/t album a whole lot more. This simply does not click with me. Idky

babyBlueSedan once said this and I agree:
"How this is often considered his best is beyond me. I don't hate the country vibe at all, but for whatever reason it waters down his aesthetic. Even the "classic" songs on here aren't worth saving. Heart of Gold is admittedly great but worse than half the tracks on his previous album, Old Man sounds insightful but really isn't, and The Needle And The Damage Down is the most sterile, emotionless song about losing friends to heroin I've ever heard. This type of thing was done much better on Tonight's the Night. I won't bemoan anyone for liking this, because it's not offensively bad, but holding this up as the pinnacle of the career of the man who made On the Beach and Tonight's the Night is ridiculous."

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
indieshins

Australia

• Posted: 03/03/2022 04:14
  • Post subject:
DommeDamian wrote:
Even though this is his biggest album commercially and Heart of Gold being his most popular song, this is by faaaaar my least favorite album of his essentials (this, Everybody Knows, Gold Rush, On The Beach, Tonight). I even love Harvest Moon and the s/t album a whole lot more. This simply does not click with me. Idky

babyBlueSedan once said this and I agree:
"How this is often considered his best is beyond me. I don't hate the country vibe at all, but for whatever reason it waters down his aesthetic. Even the "classic" songs on here aren't worth saving. Heart of Gold is admittedly great but worse than half the tracks on his previous album, Old Man sounds insightful but really isn't, and The Needle And The Damage Down is the most sterile, emotionless song about losing friends to heroin I've ever heard. This type of thing was done much better on Tonight's the Night. I won't bemoan anyone for liking this, because it's not offensively bad, but holding this up as the pinnacle of the career of the man who made On the Beach and Tonight's the Night is ridiculous."

I agree, even though I haven't gotten to know On The Beach or Tonight very well. I do quite like the title track on top of Heart of Gold, but neither of them are top shelf. Also really dislike the orchestral stuff, feels overly bombastic and sticks out like a sore thumb.
Daydreamer

• Posted: 03/03/2022 16:27
  • Post subject:
Even though I can agree this is not his best album, mostly because of couple of songs which are bellow NY's usual stanard at this point of his career, it definitely is one of the best ones he has ever produced (and much better than Tonight's The Night in my opinion).
Starting with the album cover, it's always been one of my favourite, this yellow has always felt kind of warm, which is fitting with the overall sound of the album which does exude a certain warmth and comfort.

As for the music itself, I don't really mind the orchestration parts, although I am not particurarly fond of them. The songs themselves range from brilliant to really bland. Heart of Gold and Harvest are both top tier Neil Young songs and definitely on par with anything he's ever done before and since, just incredibly beautiful songs (although I'm not crazy about the production on Heart of Gold - some live versions sound better)m and Out on The Weekend is not that far behind, one of his best opener.
I'm not crazy about Old Man and Needle and The Damage Done, but they are decent songs. The underwhelming ones are Alabama (so much weaker than its counterpart Souther Man) and There's A World which is one of the most boring and uninspired Neil Young songs ever.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
rockbluesfolkjaz

United States

• Posted: 03/03/2022 18:20
  • Post subject:
"Harvest" is an excellent Young album. I listen to it a lot still. This and "After the Gold Rush" were his two best early albums. Then along came "Harvest Moon," his best album ever.