Albums only available on vinyl.

View previous topic :: View next topic
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 03/05/2022 11:24
  • Post subject: Albums only available on vinyl.
So a few months ago I was just checking out the solo material for Pere Ubu's David Thomas, and his album More Places Forever isn't on streaming nor CD. A couple of songs are on YouTube but to hear it you have to buy the vinyl. (I bought it and it is amazing).

More Places Forever by David Thomas

Then I was wondering what more albums exists in the same lane; not available on streaming services, not pressed on CD, and not popular enough to be uploaded to YouTube song for song.

I want to explore new music and the conception of buying an album like that is something I want to do more of.
So if any of you guys either own or simply know more releases, please drop them here.

I would also shout out the John album by John Phillips from Zimbabwe:

John by John Phillips (ZW), but technically, the full album is uploaded to YouTube (just not song for song).

Hope I got my point across, hope to see some albums here. Peace.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 03/29/2022 03:52
  • Post subject: Re: Albums only available on vinyl.
DommeDamian wrote:
Then I was wondering what more albums exists in the same lane; not available on streaming services, not pressed on CD, and not popular enough to be uploaded to YouTube song for song.

When I first saw this thread, I thought about it for a while, and then decided "naah, these things just don't exist anymore, or if they do, they're probably so obscure I'll never encounter one." But I think I might have just found one in my own LP collection:

Etceteraville (1980) by Random Hold

Apparently it satisfies all the conditions — no CD release, only 3 or 4 of the tracks are on Youtube, and while some of the tracks have been included on later compilations (specifically "Over View" from 2001) which can be found on Apple/Amazon/Spotify, the entire album is still only available on the original vinyl, no reissues.

It's surprising, because it's not such a bad album, really. I liked it quite a lot when it came out, though it hasn't aged so well I suppose.
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 03/29/2022 12:25
  • Post subject:
Go here to check out online my most recent album purchase. A record may be the only way that it was released. It came to me in the mail on a record this past Saturday and my intention is to eventually get it transitioned to a CD. Northern Calloway is the name of the singer and sadly his status is no different compared to some of my other favorite singers.....yeah, no longer here just like them and I hate it!!! Before his final day in early 1990 there was controversy concerning the beautiful precious gentleman. However, even if every word of what is out there about him is true, I still love him and I wish with all that I have in me that he was still here. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly

P.S. I love watching the Sesame Street clips of him. I love how he got to be the person who starts this song and finishes it too.

Link

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2022 00:23
  • Post subject:
JOSweetHeart wrote:
Go here to check out online my most recent album purchase. A record may be the only way that it was released. It came to me in the mail on a record this past Saturday and my intention is to eventually get it transitioned to a CD. Northern Calloway is the name of the singer and sadly his status is no different compared to some of my other favorite singers.....yeah, no longer here just like them and I hate it!!!

Hmm, there's a guy from the UK on Discogs selling a promo copy of his first single as "Northern J. Calloway," entitled "Stop (If I'm Gonna Save Any Part Of My Love For You)," for a whopping £325 quid!

Obviously that's an outlier, but it does suggest that he still has a few fans floating around.
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 03/30/2022 00:37
  • Post subject:
^^^ That is him too. "Meant To Be", "Heart Of Stone", and "More Of The Same" are three more songs that were done by him. "More Of The Same" may be the only song that Northern did not write. I don't know who wrote it, but the others songs came from his heart, mind, and soul. Smile Smile Smile

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

P.S. That whopping thing that you mention, what is that exactly? If that is a form of money, how much is it in American dollars?

• Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2022 00:49
  • Post subject:
JOSweetHeart wrote:
That whopping thing that you mention, what is that exactly? If that is a form of money, how much is it in American dollars?

Oh, sorry... "quid" is common British slang for "pounds sterling," and 325 pounds is exchangeable for about $425 USD. (They actually tell you the conversion amount on Discogs in the upper-right corner of each item-for-sale entry).

There are other (non-promo) copies going for as little as $8 on the same site, so like I say, don't get too excited! Wink
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 03/30/2022 01:35
  • Post subject:
^^^ I just took a listen to the song named "More Of The Same" over at You Tube and it doesn't even sound like him. The only song not there is the one that you mentioned. The other two are there and to me, it is most definitely him singing them.

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly

• Visit poster's website