General Film Chat

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/04/2022 00:13
  • Post subject:
Quote:
The Daniels have done some interesting stuff, all over the place and really wacky.

Definitely. I mean, Swiss Army Man is a legitimately fantastic film while still being absolutely bizarre. Looking forward to the new one quite a bit now (even though I'm not a bit metaverse person).

Hayden wrote:
Feel like it came out of nowhere. Wasn't even aware of it until last week.

And apparently Linklater has a new animated film out? Shocked

Missed that entirely.
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 04/05/2022 00:04
  • Post subject:
Tossing in a good word on Kimi, Steven Soderbergh's COVID Era Hitchcockian thriller. It's on HBO Max.
  • Visit poster's website
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 04/06/2022 00:27
  • Post subject:
Welp, the 2020s must be super frontloaded because, with Everything Everywhere All at Once, I not only have my new #2 film...but it's MUCH closer to #1 than I thought anything would ever come.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 04/09/2022 18:34
  • Post subject:
Saw EEAA1 last night. It was a fun movie. Dare I say it kinda felt like a 130-minute episode of Rick and Morty? Wink . I got Matrix and Eternal Sunshine vibes too. As much as I enjoyed EEAA1, I completely disagree with its #1 of all time status on LB. This movie literally just came out. Heck, it was #1 while in limited release before the vast majority could even access it. Movies should be at least ten years old before even entering 'greatest of all time' discussion. Recency bias is a problem with these kind of lists.

I gotta say 2022 is off to a good start. It's only April and I've already rated 3 movies 8/10 or higher, and I've only seen 4 total so far. By comparison to last year, it took me until November 2021, and I watched 24 movies from 2021, before seeing 3 that were 8/10 or higher (2021 was a bad year).
  • Visit poster's website
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 04/09/2022 19:19
  • Post subject:
I at least 100% understand its immediate leap to the top, unlike that of Parasite.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 04/09/2022 22:00
  • Post subject:
AgainstMeAgainstYou wrote:
I at least 100% understand its immediate leap to the top, unlike that of Parasite.
I understand both films' immediate leap to the top. They both accurately reflect the tastes of the LB user-base. I was skeptical when LB started their own top 250, because I figured it go down the same route as the imdb top 250 (and it has). At least the LB list is much better overall.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 04/10/2022 04:02
  • Post subject:
Severance is the best show/film I've seen in years.

Any of the rest of y'all been watching it? I wish it wasn't on Apple TV, so it would be reaching a wider audience.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/10/2022 22:37
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Any of the rest of y'all been watching it? I wish it wasn't on Apple TV, so it would be reaching a wider audience.
I don't have Apple TV, unfortunately.

Also, most of my TV time has been going to HBO Max's Minx and Winning Time, oddly enough.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 04/11/2022 01:45
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

I don't have Apple TV, unfortunately.

Also, most of my TV time has been going to HBO Max's Minx and Winning Time, oddly enough.

Yeah, that seems to be the case, I keep trying to find people that have watched, and they're few and far between. I'd almost say it was worth it to get Apple for a month just to watch it and bounce.

I'll have to check out Minx; sounds like a good time. Last thing I watched on HBO Max was Somebody Somewhere which stars local Kansan Bridget Everett, and it takes place in Manhattan (Kansas), so I had to do my due diligence. Thought it was a pretty good slice of bittersweet comedy.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 04/11/2022 14:25
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
Saw EEAA1 last night. It was a fun movie. Dare I say it kinda felt like a 130-minute episode of Rick and Morty? Wink . I got Matrix and Eternal Sunshine vibes too. As much as I enjoyed EEAA1, I completely disagree with its #1 of all time status on LB. This movie literally just came out. Heck, it was #1 while in limited release before the vast majority could even access it. Movies should be at least ten years old before even entering 'greatest of all time' discussion. Recency bias is a problem with these kind of lists.

Agreed on all counts except for the Rick and Morty comparison. But that's just because I've only seen a couple episodes of R&M and didn't get into it. I'd say EEAA1 was like a 2.3hr version of the music video for "Turn Down for What" but with a plot and emotional core. So if that's what R&M is like then apt comparison lol.

EEAA1 has only been out for 2 weeks (in the US, not sure what global distribution looks like) and I don't see any streaming plans soon. I think recency bias will die down once more people have seen and rated it. Personally I like to wait to rate a movie on LB until at least 2 weeks after I've seen it.

I loved it though, it's about on par with my favorite movies of 2020 and 2021 (Soul and Bo Burnham's Inside), but I don't see it being in my top 10 of all time, and I don't see it sticking around as LB's #1.

Also interestingly, I'm looking forward to re-watching it on a small screen. The theater experience is good fun, but for me it can be too overwhelming at times. And there were definitely times in EEAAO where that happened. I want to see it again, but I don't think I'm going back to the theater for it.