Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/15/2022 05:09
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
(FUCK YOU HAYDEN)
While I don't think there's any true animosity here, and rather this is some kind of joke, it's important to note BEA is a public forum anyone with internet can read, thus I don't find it appropriate to write this here.
Applerill wrote:
Petite Maman isn't playing near me until maybbbeeeee Friday, which means I might have to see it in a triple feature with Men and the new Dr. Strange.

(And I will DEFINITELY treat all of those as 2022 movies.)
As far as release year technicality goes, I feel like we've been over this. If a movie is released in different regions in two different calendar years, then it's eligible for both years. So what's the big deal? If you don't get to Petite Maman before the deadline, nothing is stopping you or anybody else from putting it on next year's best of 2022 list. And if you see Petite Maman before the deadline, then put it on your 2021 list and your 2022 list next year if you happen to like it so.

Lastly, if you don't like the way Hayden does these polls, you can voice your dissent in the manner of Gowi (who proposed they be done in late summer to ensure all eligible movies can be seen from wherever we are in the world) instead of bluntly writing 'F U Hayden'.
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 05/15/2022 15:08
  • Post subject:
With Applerill I can never tell how serious she's intending to come across as....

Anyways didn't see a whole lot of movies this year, I just don't keep up with recent movies as much anymore ("it'll happen to yoouuuuuu") but I guess these were pretty solid

Pig
---
The Velvet Underground
The Worst Person in the World
Nobody
The History of the Atlanta Falcons
---
Petite Maman
What Do We See When We Look at the Sky
I Was a Simple Man
Futura
Titane
The Voyeurs
Dune

Best Actor

Nicholas Cage- Pig
Bob Odenkirk- Nobody
That Guy from The Worst Person in the World

Best Actress

Thomasin Mckenzie- last Night in Soho
That Girl from The Worst Person in the World
Morfydd Clark- Saint Maud
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 05/15/2022 16:51
  • Post subject:
Sorry, I was just teasing. I guess it would be more in-character for me to have yelled that to Gowi (who often teases me for including movies to year lists after their premieres).

But yeah, I don't know if the way things are marketed now has affected this, or if it's just the pandemic, but now it feels more than ever that movies "age' for me. Like, the release of Mank feels like an eternity ago. And because of that, it's hard for me to think much about "2021 in movies" during the summer of 2022.

(Though part of that might be that I inevitably find my year-end lists to be really cringe in general these days.)
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2022 16:43
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Sorry, I was just teasing.
If it was on the discord, whatever. That's private and everyone knows each other and would know it was joking. But here on the public forum, while BEA regulars would get that it's a joke, doesn't mean non-members and non-regulars casually browsing the net would know. Kinda looks weird. All good though.

Applerill wrote:
But yeah, I don't know if the way things are marketed now has affected this, or if it's just the pandemic, but now it feels more than ever that movies "age' for me. Like, the release of Mank feels like an eternity ago. And because of that, it's hard for me to think much about "2021 in movies" during the summer of 2022.
I can get behind this sentiment. The end of the year and Awards Season feels like the time to reflect on the past year of cinema, not summer of the following year. On the other hand, some titles take until summer of the following year (or longer) for international distribution. We can't have it both ways (and that's why decade lists are better). Personally, I mostly wrapped up my 2021 watchlist by the Oscars, and I've watched only one 2021 movie since then.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/17/2022 02:03
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Sorry, I was just teasing.

Don't worry Charli, I am aware Laughing

Get on Petite Maman when you can. It's oddly short, but it works in the film's favour. One of my favourites of the year. Sciamma went from such a grandiose work like Portrait to this quaint spec, and it's a lovely bit of filmmaking. Proves she can just do whatever she wants.

Quote:
I can get behind this sentiment. The end of the year and Awards Season feels like the time to reflect on the past year of cinema, not summer of the following year. On the other hand, some titles take until summer of the following year (or longer) for international distribution. We can't have it both ways (and that's why decade lists are better). Personally, I mostly wrapped up my 2021 watchlist by the Oscars, and I've watched only one 2021 movie since then.

And yeah, I agree. I actually think doing it near the end of May is a bit late... Anxious Especially considering 2022's had so many firecrackers so far.

And Cestuneblague, your list is tallied Smile Thanks.

Spoiler(ish): We have a really cool #1 right now.
  • Visit poster's website
BozoTyrannus

Guyana

• Posted: 05/17/2022 23:06
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Spoiler(ish): We have a really cool #1 right now.

If it's The Worst Person in the World I will be positively livid with envy due to the fact that I have not yet found a way to watch it.

I mean, I already am anyway, but I anticipate becoming even moreso
And make Sean Pean
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 05/17/2022 23:09
  • Post subject:
I'll make some final adjustments around the 20th.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 05/18/2022 00:14
  • Post subject:
BozoTyrannus wrote:
If it's The Worst Person in the World I will be positively livid with envy due to the fact that I have not yet found a way to watch it.

I mean, I already am anyway, but I anticipate becoming even moreso

Very much agree with this sentiment. Would love to catch it sooner rather than later.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/18/2022 03:46
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
I'll make some final adjustments around the 20th.

I'll keep an eye out Gowi Smile

And I will neither confirm nor deny it being The Worst Person In The World, but I do urge both of you to see it. I have a review for it on Letterboxd, but I think it has spoilers in it... so I won't post it, but if you want to read it, etc etc.

It's a pretty cool list though. Liking the looks of it. There's def (at least) five films not making the cut right now that really deserve too though. Hoping to see a few more lists at the finish line.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 05/18/2022 03:58
  • Post subject:
Yeah, apparently Petite Maman was delayed another week at the AMC near me, so I instead will be seeing it in a triple feature with Top Gun Maverick and The Bob Burgers Movie Razz

I actually still have to see Worst Person in the World. I got 20 minutes in and liked it, but I was still used to being without the ADHD medication I've had all my life, so I put it off. That was a download, but when I finally had a chance to see it in theaters for a double feature with The Batman, my family wanted me to have dinner with them next door, so I missed it. I'm currently trying to decide if I should just dive into it now that it's on Hulu, or if I should try to go through the whole trilogy, since I haven't seen Oslo either (once again, another movie I only got 20 minutes into around the time it came out)
  • Visit poster's website