My Musical Musings by Johnnyo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/23/2023 10:55
  • Post subject:
Johnnyo wrote:
I have nearly 300 albums on my wish list which is ridiculous so I’m looking for help to pear the list down to a more manageable size. So I was thinking of posting some of them here any hoping that I can get some comments back on your thoughts about those albums. Here are the first three

Born Under A Bad Sign by Albert King

Thanks to all of those who commented or PM’d me about this album. All of the comments were positive and I came across a copy yesterday so it’s now joining my wife and my ever expanding albums collection.

Going to post another three albums shortly and any thoughts would be appreciated, good or not so good
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/26/2023 20:30
  • Post subject:
I have nearly 300 albums on my wish list which is ridiculous so I’m looking for help to pear the list down to a more manageable size. So I was thinking of posting some of them here any hoping that I can get some comments back on your thoughts about those albums. Here are the next three

Beck Bogert & Appice by Beck Bogert & Appice

Fanny Hill by Fanny

The Restful Mind by Larry Coryell

Any comments good, bad or indifferent grateful received
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 04/26/2023 21:07
  • Post subject:
So... you're actually going out and buying these in shops, on vinyl mostly? And you've got a list of 300 albums, at today's vinyl prices... I can see why you'd want to pare that down.

Anyway, I personally can't stand Larry Coryell of course, but "Fanny Hill" is a really good album, sort of like an all-female Badfinger (not least because they were both on Apple), and that's probably their best album. I'd forgotten all about it though — I should put that on my new 1972 chart. (No opinion on Beck-Bogert-Appice, as I don't think I've ever heard it/them.)

Good luck with all that! Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/27/2023 17:17
  • Post subject:
MadhattanJack wrote:
So... you're actually going out and buying these in shops, on vinyl mostly? And you've got a list of 300 albums, at today's vinyl prices... I can see why you'd want to pare that down.

Anyway, I personally can't stand Larry Coryell of course, but "Fanny Hill" is a really good album, sort of like an all-female Badfinger (not least because they were both on Apple), and that's probably their best album. I'd forgotten all about it though — I should put that on my new 1972 chart. (No opinion on Beck-Bogert-Appice, as I don't think I've ever heard it/them.)

Good luck with all that! Smile

Thanks for taking the time to comment madhattanjack. Yes, I buy exclusively vinyl so you can see my dilemma. Fanny hill is a definite for me now as someone also PM’d me to say how good it was. I do like a bit of Larry Coryell but an acquired taste. He did an album called

Fairyland by Larry Coryell

Which is far more rock orientated which I really like so that’s why an album or two of his are on my list. I like to experiment a bit. Some pay off, some don’t. Anyway, I’ll be posting more from time to time so any more thoughts would be appreciated
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/03/2023 05:33
  • Post subject:
Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this from my wish list

Sky Trails by David Crosby

Son Of Walter by The Bevis Frond

My One And Only Thrill by Melody Gardot
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/03/2023 05:36
  • Post subject:
Johnnyo wrote:
I have nearly 300 albums on my wish list which is ridiculous so I’m looking for help to pear the list down to a more manageable size. So I was thinking of posting some of them here any hoping that I can get some comments back on your thoughts about those albums. Here are the next three

Fanny Hill by Fanny

So, thanks for the comments and PM’s for this album. Overwhelmingly positive feedback so on the hunt for this one.
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/16/2023 11:53
  • Post subject:
There more albums for your comment. Should I keep these on my wishlist / are they worth buying?

Elwan by Tinariwen

Sisyphus by Cold Blood

The Second by Steppenwolf
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 06/16/2023 18:20
  • Post subject:
[quote="Johnnyo"]Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this from my wish list

I have nearly 20 albums of The Bevis Frond (in fact the moniker of Nick Saloman) on my playlist (all discovered in the last few years) and he's become one of my personal favorites and has even become better on his most recent album with a very focused guitar playing style I really like. And you know what: this album is the most recent album of his I haven't listened to yet so it's definitely for my wishlist. I'm fairly sure you and I will like it.
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/17/2023 20:14
  • Post subject:
[quote="Johnnyo"]There more albums for your comment. Should I keep these on my wishlist / are they worth buying?

Elwan by Tinariwen

Now bought so no comments needed for this one. Really like it
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/17/2023 20:20
  • Post subject:
[quote="dihansse"]
Johnnyo wrote:
Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this from my wish list

I have nearly 20 albums of The Bevis Frond (in fact the moniker of Nick Saloman) on my playlist (all discovered in the last few years) and he's become one of my personal favorites and has even become better on his most recent album with a very focused guitar playing style I really like. And you know what: this album is the most recent album of his I haven't listened to yet so it's definitely for my wishlist. I'm fairly sure you and I will like it.

Hi Dihansse, thanks for commenting. I’ve loved the frond since the late 80’s and this album passed me by hence The question. I’ve seen nick play probably half a dozen times and always a great live act. My top three frond Albums would probably be

New River Head by The Bevis Frond

Valedictory Songs by The Bevis Frond

Vavona Burr by The Bevis Frond

Good hunting for more bevis gems.
  • Visit poster's website