My Musical Musings by Johnnyo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 06/21/2023 19:13
  • Post subject:
I have the impression that Nick never plays outside England because I would go and see him immediately if he would ever play in Belgium. But tbh I still have to meet one Belgian who has even heard of The Bevis Frond.

My top 5 would be:
White Numbers (2013)
We're Your Friends, Man (2018)
Example 22 (2015)
The Leaving Of London (2011)
New River Head (1991)

So a slight preference for his newer albums which is maybe explainable by the fact that have no history with the man and I discovered We're Your Friends, Man only by coincidence when listening to new albums of 2018 and realised I was on something good. And your favorite album is also my favorite older album. And next to Son Of Walter also Valedictory Songs is on my wishlist.
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/22/2023 17:23
  • Post subject:
On the rare occasions that I see a gig at the O2 in London, for those who don’t know, a 20000 seater mega venue, I arrive with a sense of being disappointed every time. Lacks any atmosphere at all IMO

Anyway, one of my wife’s birthday presents this year was to take her to see the black keys so needs must as it’s the only chance to see them in the UK.

Spoon were a great support and the keys were fantastic. Second most enjoyable gig of all time at this joyless venue. Only Radiohead have been better at the O2. I always knew what a great guitarist Dan is but his playing was out of this world. Patrick’s drums drove the whole thing along at a cracking pace. All in all a great night

Last edited by Johnnyo on 06/29/2023 16:34; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/22/2023 17:28
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
I have the impression that Nick never plays outside England because I would go and see him immediately if he would ever play in Belgium. But tbh I still have to meet one Belgian who has even heard of The Bevis Frond.

My top 5 would be:
White Numbers (2013)
We're Your Friends, Man (2018)
Example 22 (2015)
The Leaving Of London (2011)
New River Head (1991)

So a slight preference for his newer albums which is maybe explainable by the fact that have no history with the man and I discovered We're Your Friends, Man only by coincidence when listening to new albums of 2018 and realised I was on something good. And your favorite album is also my favorite older album. And next to Son Of Walter also Valedictory Songs is on my wishlist.

TBH, there are very few people in the UK who are aware of the frond! Their lose because they are a great band.

I love the way that nick has moved seamlessly from the psych rock of the late 80’s to the more song based music of now. So much still for both of us to discover. Good hunting
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/05/2023 19:49
  • Post subject:
I meant to post this in the thread earlier in the week.

Attended the largest free music festival in London last Sunday, the High Tide festival in twickenham in south west London.

16 stages, 100 artists over one day. The weather wasn’t great but the bands made up for it.

Mystery jets and goat girl headlined but there were other great acts live Errol linton and Los pistoleros playing.

Now in its fourth year and hoping for a fifth in 2024.

If you live in London stick it in your diary to check it out next year. Don’t think that you will be disappointed
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/11/2023 19:53
  • Post subject:
Saw vintage trouble at the electric in Brixton, south london, the other night. If you aren’t aware of them, soul / funk mixed with a decent helping of R&B.

Great live band. Check them out if you get the chance.

Ably support by standin’ man.
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/25/2023 19:53
  • Post subject:
Some exciting news from goat girl. Saw them playing at a festival the other week and got talking to Rosie bones (drummer). They have their new album recorded and are currently mixing the album. Hopefully out later this year.

From what I heard at the gig, it’s going to be heavy!
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/25/2023 20:02
  • Post subject:
So sad to hear of the passing of guitarist Bernie Marsden.

Over the years I saw Bernie play quite a few times with various bands and guest appearances.

In honour of an outstanding live performer here is a great live album featuring the great man

Live... In The Heart Of The City by Whitesnake
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/23/2024 10:52
  • Post subject:
Johnnyo wrote:
Some exciting news from goat girl. Saw them playing at a festival the other week and got talking to Rosie bones (drummer). They have their new album recorded and are currently mixing the album. Hopefully out later this year.

From what I heard at the gig, it’s going to be heavy!

Update on this one.

The new album, Below The Waste, is scheduled for release on 7th June. They played a few tracks from the new album back at a gig last year and they sound fantastic so very excited to hear the new album.
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/23/2024 11:03
  • Post subject:
Best gig of the year (so far) last night at the very compact, The Forge, in Camden (London).

Al-Qasar playing their first ever gig in London. If you know their album

Who Are We? by Al-Qasar

You'll be aware that it's quite expansive. Peered back the four main members the songs became more visceral, punk even, with elements of stoner rock and even verging on death metal at time. Amazing experience once i became attuned to what i was hearing. Would recommend seeing them live unreservedly.

Apart from a totally unnecessary cover of Personal Jesus to finish (which got a very lukewarm reception from the audience), a thoroughly enjoyable night
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/26/2024 11:04
  • Post subject:
Another great gig last night this time at Eel Pie Records in SW London.

Tomas Donker playing his final show of the current tour at this in store show at a great record shop.

A bit cramped as really only allows for no more than 30 people to attend but a great atmosphere from the enthusiastic crowd.

A soul and blues combination from Tomas which kept the crowd well entertained. Spoke to the man afterwards and he's hoping to come back over for the High Tide Festival later in the year. Looking forward to that no end
  • Visit poster's website