Magdalena Bay

View previous topic :: View next topic
corenfro
  • Posted: 11/05/2022 16:16
  • Post subject: Magdalena Bay
I'm absolutely dumbstruck by how good Magdalena Bay is. I know the crowd on this site tends to lean away from this type of music, and that's totally okay! But I also know there's a lot of you who ARE into various subgenres of alt pop.

Mercurial World is one of the best records I've heard in the genre... ever. It doesn't cut through with massive originality, but the quality of the songwriting, production, and track transitions is just really great. They've also released a ton of music on various other platforms as ep's or music videos, or even TikToks and have a really great online connection with their fans through weekly streams, tons of streams where they go through the production.

I legitimately think Magdalena Bay will be taking the next step and getting more recognition soon.

To be clear: I'm also a fan of a lot of their influences / artists with associated sound:
Grimes, Charli XCX, Caroline Polachek, Dua Lipa, Jessie Ware, Purity Ring, ELIO, etc.

If anyone enjoys this music, and agrees with me about how fantastic Magdalena Bay is, do you have a recommendation for other records for me to check out by other similar artists? If you don't enjoy the genre, that's fine! If you do enjoy the genre, and think there are even better artists than Magdalena Bay, who have been putting out more solid all around projects in the recent years, I'd love to hear about them as well.

Obviously I've also listened to the classics like Depeche Mode, Tears For Fears, Pet Shop Boys etc. sort of looking for more recent bands who are trying to modernize that sound with a solid track record like Mag Bay.

(And yeah, I think an example like Tame Impala on Currents isn't dramatically far off from what I'm talking about)

Thanks!
  • Visit poster's website