Best Albums of 2022 Lists

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 12/07/2022 07:46
  • Post subject:
The Quietus list really hasn't been doing it for me the past few years, like it's hard for me to really see what I need to pull from it. But I thought The Wire had a pretty solid one this year. Though maybe it's just cause they overlap with my taste so much (like 8 of the top 10 are all things that I think are pretty great, and the other 2 I just haven't heard yet and would probably appreciate). But that makes me a lot more sure that I should dig into some of these ones I haven't heard yet. Though actually if I look closer, it's mostly the stuff I already knew I wanted to listen to, like that Ishmael Reed one. They're not gonna get me to listen to Devin Townsend lol

https://www.albumoftheyear.org/list/196...year-2022/

MadhattanJack wrote:
Which brings me to what might be an interesting question: How many new, or new-ish, albums should I be able to listen to in the course of a year, if I'm trying to give each one that I listen to a chance to "grow on me" or otherwise impress me in some way? This is my first full calendar year on BEA, and now it's winding down, and I've probably only listened to 50 (give or take) 2022 albums all the way through more than once — which is probably double what I would have listened to ten years ago. Giving a fair-chance listen to 100 albums seems pretty daunting to me, but am I just too old or something? I guess I might have listened to more albums when I was in my 20's and had much better brain plasticity, but 100 still seems like a really high number for just one person, at almost any age.

I've heard a little over 500 this year and have a pretty good handle on what the deal is with about half of em. But there'll still be a lot of understanding to develop over the years as I return to some of them. I think it takes too long to give a fair chance to everything and so I'm ok with allowing them to just end up being fleeting experiences if that's where they're gonna land.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/08/2022 01:31
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Aaaaaand here's Pitchfork's list

Renaissance at #1 is kinda boring, Alvvays in the top 5 is interesting, Big Thief in the top 10 is cool. Definitely surprised to see The Weeknd higher than Kendrick.

Haven't heard 8, including the #1 (I'll... get around to it).

I mean... it's a fair list. Makes sense.

I hate to say this about The Quietus, but I might (half) agree with Tap— not their most exciting year-ender. I think the last few lists have been a bit more dig-able.

My favourite list for the last 4-5 years has been Bandcamp's. Although it's now unranked, you can start to comb through it here.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/08/2022 01:39
  • Post subject:
MadhattanJack wrote:
Which brings me to what might be an interesting question: How many new, or new-ish, albums should I be able to listen to in the course of a year, if I'm trying to give each one that I listen to a chance to "grow on me" or otherwise impress me in some way?

I'd say 250.

5 a week.

Helps if you have a commute to work.

Ultimately, you do you though. Absolutely nothing wrong with listening to 100 records from a year— by all means, listen to 0. Whatever. If you listen to 1000 records and don't like any of them, you're far worse off than someone who listened to 10 and enjoyed them all on repeat for months on end.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 12/08/2022 11:23
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Loud And Quiet also have their list out
Huh they have Szun Waves, Daniel Avery and a bunch of other cool stuff there. I haven't heard the King Cobra album, looking forward to that. Jockstrap as number 2 warms my heart and Caroline being that high is a welcome surprise. Not even mentioning Dawson, They Hate Change, Danger Mouse and Pusha. I'm really not sure if Charli and Rina needed to be on the list and if Alt J is something that belongs on any year end list, but ok. I do like this list a lot, which is a rarity.

RockyRaccoon wrote:
Looks like The Quietus's top 100 list is out, theirs is always SUPER interesting, usually the best list of the year. Loads of stuff on that list that I need to check out

Again, Jockstrap, Caroline and Dawson. Is there a pattern? Very Happy I do love all 3, so no complaints from me. Broken Gargoyles was good, but I don't personally see it as some kind of a career statement or a masterpiece. IDK, borderline top 100 on my chart. LOVE to see Širom up there, as well as Persher. You're right Rocky, it's one of the best lists easily. However their metal list is... not terrible, not even bad, but it feels like it's made by someone who's not a metal fan but likes to turn things up to 11 from time to time.

Tap wrote:
They're not gonna get me to listen to Devin Townsend lol
Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 12/08/2022 16:56
  • Post subject:
Few other lists are out:

Slant Magazine's top 50 - which is actually a halfway decent list and I think the first one I've seen to include Beach House's album

Billboard's list, which includes the Elvis soundtrack lol

And Vulture's top 10 list, which is pretty run of the mill

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/08/2022 19:35
  • Post subject:
35 of these lists now added to BEA, including most of those mentioned in this thread, but not had a huge impact on the rankings here. One anomaly is We by Arcade Fire, which doesn't appear in any of the 35 added charts, but is ranked #7 here for 2022.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 12/08/2022 20:55
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
35 of these lists now added to BEA, including most of those mentioned in this thread, but not had a huge impact on the rankings here. One anomaly is We by Arcade Fire, which doesn't appear in any of the 35 added charts, but is ranked #7 here for 2022.

I'm betting with all the stuff around Win Butler that came out this year, most magazines probably don't wanna come within 40 feet of touching that album

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/08/2022 21:01
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
I'm betting with all the stuff around Win Butler that came out this year, most magazines probably don't wanna come within 40 feet of touching that album

Well, that and the likelihood that it’s a pompous, bloated, faux-earnest, wannabe-U2 mess. (I don’t know, I obviously didn’t listen to it and certainly never will.)
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 12/08/2022 21:10
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Well, that and the likelihood that it’s a pompous, bloated, faux-earnest, wannabe-U2 mess. (I don’t know, I obviously didn’t listen to it and certainly never will.)

Giving them too much credit lol, they loved that aspect
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 12/08/2022 23:47
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
My favourite list for the last 4-5 years has been Bandcamp's. Although it's now unranked, you can start to comb through it here.

Ditto this, bandcamp consistently recommend great stuff, and often stuff I wouldn't have listened to otherwise. Something that's not true of lots of magazine lists for me.