Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 10/29/2023 16:21
  • Post subject:

The Secret To Life by FIZZ

This is a really fun pop/rock album that just came out, with four solo artists coming together - not sure if they're popular enough to qualify as a supergroup. Someone on RYM said it's reminiscent of Jellyfish, so now I'll have to check them out.
melisandre

• Posted: 10/29/2023 18:36
  • Post subject:
1989 has never slapped harder
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/03/2023 15:45
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
& whatever that new Beatles song is.

Ayyyy, it's pretty good Smile

Glad they got around to finalizing it. It's a lovely song. Lyrics aged heartbreakingly.
  • Visit poster's website
melisandre

• Posted: 11/03/2023 20:05
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Ayyyy, it's pretty good Smile

Glad they got around to finalizing it. It's a lovely song. Lyrics aged heartbreakingly.

I think it’s good, but sounds more like solo Lennon than a genuine Beatles song. Same as with Free as a Bird and Real Love. Still nice though and there is a bit of Fabs in the backing.
  • Visit poster's website
melisandre

• Posted: 11/03/2023 20:06
  • Post subject:
I’m thinking the Stones are better than the Beatles. At least in 2023.
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 11/03/2023 21:58
  • Post subject:
I can't say I'm impressed with the packaging on this thing. You'd think a global conglomerate like The Beatles could do better than this.

I mean, sure, I like the way it automatically twirls around and everything, but I'd still rather see some band imagery or something, especially on the blue side. Obviously it's a single so BEA isn't directly concerned with it, but what if they find still more old undiscovered Lennon demos in a moldy trunk somewhere next year that they want to AI-convert into a new Beatles album, and they end up hiring the same cover designer that they got for this thing? It could be catastrophic.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 11/12/2023 21:58
  • Post subject:
Three releases I think you should not sleep on:

Return To Archive by Matmos

is fantastic and one of their best. Both extremely learned and humorous, it sees them focus on, this time, insects ; what comes out is a fun and challenging mix of field recordings, concrete sounds and collage, with even the odd semi-banger in there ('Why?').

Lueur by Univers Zéro
Is the first Univers Zéro album in 10 years. Belgian RIO/Chamber art rock veterans are still as vivid as ever. One song sound like its inherited from Wyatt, another one from Weather Report, all in all still fresh, original and, in an odd way maybe ? even slightly fun.

Phone Orphans by Laura Veirs

Is not as good as last year's, let alone her best (July Flame for instance) but it's still Veirs so it's still very good. Perfect autumnal album, acoustic melodies that sometimes feel like you've heard them before but hey.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/15/2023 00:10
  • Post subject:

Andre 3000's debut album this Friday.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2023 15:27
  • Post subject:
MadhattanJack wrote:
I can't say I'm impressed with the packaging on this thing. You'd think a global conglomerate like The Beatles could do better than this.

I mean, sure, I like the way it automatically twirls around and everything, but I'd still rather see some band imagery or something, especially on the blue side. Obviously it's a single so BEA isn't directly concerned with it, but what if they find still more old undiscovered Lennon demos in a moldy trunk somewhere next year that they want to AI-convert into a new Beatles album, and they end up hiring the same cover designer that they got for this thing? It could be catastrophic.

My first impression of the packaging was that the old guy down the street had made a mix tape for his wife and was jokingly pretending it was The Beatles.

Not that my opinions are popular around here anyway, but here goes...

As for the song...my apologies to the world which is losing their mind over this. But I am simply not impressed. The only plus part of it is that they have the technology to do it, which really amounts to a roll of digital duct tape. The song is not good and sounds like what it is...not fully written. The video is as impressive as the packaging. And I seriously doubt that if this did not have The Beatles' name on it, that it would be a hit in any possible way. It's average. With the quality of music and musicians we have today, it's far below average. And when placed next to the body of work of The Beatles, it's downright bad and, really, shame on them for wasting everyone's time on a piece like this that was probably never meant to be a Beatles track, and that was not even a completed song.

There's a reason why bands should never get back together. This is a prime example of just please leave your legacy alone.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2023 22:40
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:

Return To Archive by Matmos

is fantastic and one of their best.

Yesss I second this, it's wonderful!

If anyone wants some highly esoteric 2023 suggestions, I have this page set up https://endaural.com/grabbag23.html to randomly show you 10 albums I liked from this year. If you don't like what you see, hit refresh to see something different
  • Visit poster's website