Easier way to move existing album to new artist entry

View previous topic :: View next topic
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 04/04/2023 04:04
  • Post subject: Easier way to move existing album to new artist entry
Sometimes albums get assigned to the wrong artist, usually because that wrong artist has the same name. In this case, I'm looking at In the Absence of Angels, the only album ever recorded by a UK band called Ivy. But there's a much better-known American artist that's also called Ivy, and this album was mistakenly assigned to the American one.

Because it's the only album by the UK Ivy, there isn't an existing Artist record for them — so I can't just change the album's Artist ID to fix it. It looks like there are only two ways to do this, either ask you (i.e., Albummaster) to fix it directly, or else re-enter the album from scratch into a chart under "Ivy (UK)" and then leave a flag for you to delete the album that's there now. But the latter approach would break any charts that already have that album in it, right? (For this album, there's only one and it's a custom chart, so no effect on rankings, but that won't always be the case.)

So... assuming there isn't a better method I don't know about, then either way requires intervention from you, so is this worth putting on the to-do list? I guess it probably doesn't happen very often, so maybe not, but it would be nice to be able to type a "0" (zero) or "NEW" or just an empty-string into the album's Artist ID field and have it generate a new Artist record, which we could then edit the usual way.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 04/04/2023 08:23
  • Post subject: Re: Easier way to move existing album to new artist entry
Hi, yes it happens often enough that it's a problem. At the time of editing a chart, it's sometimes difficult to know if the artist you have chosen is the correct one, especially if multiple artists share the same (or similar) names. Once the chart has been added, there are quite a few eyes on the data moderation queue, and if the album has been assigned to the wrong artist, it'll often get picked up in the background and updated. However, if the album remains allocated to the wrong artist for more than a few hours, then it's best to report as a data correction and several data mods (not just myself) have the ability to create new artists that the album can then be assigned to.
  • Visit poster's website
bojolpif71

France

• Posted: 04/14/2023 16:15
  • Post subject:
Hi MadhattanJack

The UK Band Ivy has been added and album In The Absence Of Angels is now credited to this band. Name of both bands has been changed to Ivy (US) and Ivy (UK).

As explained by AM ,this case happens quite often , it's not easy to track and check all new entries . In such a case , the best is to add a comment on the album (or artist if this artist needs to be updated) , il will be seen by the data mods and data will be updated .
  • Visit poster's website