Best American Rock Bands of the 2000s

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/06/2011 04:56
  • Post subject: Best American Rock Bands of the 2000s
Is it just me or did the 2000s suck for N. America? I think the UK fared so much better than us with Rock artists. It seems like America went for that whole indie/hardcore thing that is often great music, but doesn't have that following that gets people to get behind a band to give the finger to the man. The 1990s were great for America and rock and roll. 2000s were great for hip-hop/electronic music.

My rule of thumb is that they can only have an album, maybe two in the late 90s to be in the list. Or at least the majority of their more well known albums in the 2000s.

I see bands like Arctic Monkeys, Muse, and Coldplay, and get jealous when we only really had what, the White Stripes? I totally dig the White Stripes, but they are the only band from the 2000s that I could say continued to make good music throughout the decade that was punk rock enough to be good music, but not so underground that in order for them to be cool it wasn't about their music, but how underground they could be.

(How many indie bands does it take to screw in a light bulb? Dude, you don't even know.)

I think this whole indie band thing we got going in the states is counter productive. It is cool cause it isn't saying lets give the man the finger, but work for him, rather they really tried to go it alone, but I think it blew up their face to turn into a crowd of idiots who turned underground music into mainstream. How stupid is that- I am an indie band that is mainstream???? America gave us Dashboard while the UK gave us Elbow... Please someone do something about this!!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 12/06/2011 05:21
  • Post subject:
What?....WHAT? I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean.

You say you're disappointed with the lack of american bands giving the finger to the man and then you name Coldplay as an english band who is doing it. Laughing I love Coldplay but this just seems like Misrepresentation. I for one am glad that music stopped being angry. Who are you angry at? and for what? Young men desire to rage and they will attempt to attribute it to something, but really it's either unreasonableness or acting. I hated 70's punk (a la Sex Pistols) when I was younger because I thought "Do you fuckers know how lucky you are?" now I'm older I enjoy it as fun kitsch but no punk music has ever convinced me of there being anything wrong with any so called "system". Indie realises that the only person you can control is yourself and that's why I at least gravitated towards it.

Your last paragraph I kinda get..but I think the only explanation is that the definition of "indie" has gradually changed over the years and it obviously doesn't exclusively mean "Indpendently released" aymore
Yourselfisntsteam

• Posted: 12/06/2011 05:23
  • Post subject:
Your post is a little convoluted and I may not be understanding it properly but I'll try and reply:

1. Coldplay and Muse are both affronts to good music Sick Sick Sick

2. If your saying that there were no really good popular bands, then I say who cares? Popularity implies good luck or good marketing, nothing more

2. In the last decade the U.S. had in terms of rock bands:Tv on the Radio, System Of a Down, The White Stripes as you mentioned, Battles and Andrew Bird. These are all fantastic bands, some of these might not be quite strait forward rock (andrew birds actually more indie/folk pop, Battles experimental ect.), but you mentioned Coldplay who are I'd say aren't really a rock band anyways.

3. How to Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys and Muse get people together to give the finger to the man???

4. Punk rock enough to be good music? Did you say that? I adore punk, but not all good music is punk...

5.As for "indie" becoming mainstream, who cares? Most genres find a way to become shitty mainstream tripe eventually anyways, just move on and find something new...
Wombi

• Posted: 12/06/2011 05:29
  • Post subject:
Yourselfisntsteam wrote:
shitty mainstream tripe

Out of interest...do you believe something can be mainstream and good?
Yourselfisntsteam

• Posted: 12/06/2011 05:35
  • Post subject:
NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

actually:
I consider White Stripes mainstream, they're good
The Beatles were pretty good for one album (Sgt. Peppers)
I guess the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, other classic rock bands were sometimes ok....
Rage against the Machine were coool
I love Pink FLoyd's The Wall (hey I forgot to post in its thread), and its sold bucketloads...
System of a Down are sorta mainstream
Radiohead made 2 good albums......

But I can't deny it, something in my inner psychology seems to end in me disliking most things other people like.........I have a misanthropic/antisocial streak a mile long.....

Oh well, I embrace my snobiness passionately!!!! Screw the masses!!!!!
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/06/2011 06:11
  • Post subject: I guess this is what I am sayin'
Giving the finger to the man and punk rock music; I don't really mean in the sense that only music from the 70's and that are COMPLETELY anti-establishment. The music, that in my opinion, is any good has some kind of edge to it. The 50's gave us guys like Little Richard and Elvis, who had great music, but more importantly they walked that fine line of great music, but not cheese pop. Musicians that do this usually appeal to the masses because they are instinctively aesthetic. Those guys could be mainstream and give the finger at the same time.

I really don't feel like we have any Great artists from the U.S. that are in the Rock scene from the 2000s. I feel like the greats we have now, really are from a long time ago- Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, Rage Against the Machine, etc.

And yes I do think Muse is a great band, possibly one of the best of the 2000s. Coldplay I will give it to you that maybe they aren't the most edgy band, but they have that quality that they can be mainstream, but not cheese pop. America has just total crap like The All American Rejects or Dashboard as I mentioned before. NONE of those kinds of bands are worth anything now or in the future. As to System I would agree- they brought a little hardcore to the mainstream, but they weren't terribly consistent. Incubus wasn't bad either, but not terribly good. Same with Modest Mouse.

The only band I really say is "epic" from the US in the 2000s was the White Stripes. And, although I really like them, they aren't terribly epic either. Maybe the way the music business is now is that there won't be anymore epic bands?
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 12/06/2011 06:29
  • Post subject:
What do you think of bands like The Mars Volta or Between the Buried and Me? (Since you used the term 'epic')

Last edited by SquishypuffDave on 12/06/2011 06:42; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 12/06/2011 06:34
  • Post subject:
did you seriously had a radio, TV, internet, went to music stores, talked about music with friends, read music magazines in the 2000s ?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 12/06/2011 06:47
  • Post subject:
I'm gonna pull a Naples and just list some good-ass American rock bands from the '00s:

-Spoon
-The National
-The Mars Volta
-Agalloch
-Converge
-...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead
-Battles
-Broken Social Scene
-Cave In
-High On Fire
-The Gaslight Anthem
-The Hold Steady
-Hella
-Isis
-Queens of the Stone Age
-Mastodon
-Russian Circles
-White Rabbits
-Wolf Parade

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 12/06/2011 06:53
  • Post subject:
cartoken wrote:
did you seriously had a radio, TV, internet, went to music stores, talked about music with friends, read music magazines in the 2000s ?

OMG cartoken aren't The Strokes american? and didn't they save rock n roll? This guy is totally dissing The Strokes!