Riot Fest 2023 Lineup!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2023 15:44
  • Post subject: Riot Fest 2023 Lineup!!!
Riot Fest 2023 Lineup!!!

Grabbed my tix on the cheap last night before the lineup was announced. Boy am I glad I did!!! Twisted Evil

I'm going to obsess over this <& My Celtics!!! Angel > until the show in September.

What grabs YOUR attention?! What bands would YOU see?! Any little known gems?! Think

AND, am I crazy to now think this positively CRUSHES all other festivals this year?! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Last edited by Repo on 05/18/2023 14:48; edited 3 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Moved: 05/16/2023 16:07 by Romanelli
From Music Diaries to Music
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2023 19:53
  • Post subject:
Yeah that lineup looks stacked, enjoy!

"Parliament Funkadelic ft. George Clinton" is... an interesting way to bill him/them haha.

I tend to shy away from some of the biggest festivals because they'll have 3-4 bands playing at the same time and I end up missing half the acts I was interested in. This one doesn't seem too overwhelming though. I'd be psyched for Godspeed and to a lesser extent Code Orange. The Bronx is fun live, I'd try to catch them if you can (although I prefer them live when they perform as Mariachi El Bronx! )
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2023 20:53
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
Yeah that lineup looks stacked, enjoy!

"Parliament Funkadelic ft. George Clinton" is... an interesting way to bill him/them haha.

I tend to shy away from some of the biggest festivals because they'll have 3-4 bands playing at the same time and I end up missing half the acts I was interested in. This one doesn't seem too overwhelming though. I'd be psyched for Godspeed and to a lesser extent Code Orange. The Bronx is fun live, I'd try to catch them if you can (although I prefer them live when they perform as Mariachi El Bronx! )

Ha! That does sound more fun. They might do it! Especially if I know Riot Fest!

I'll have to look into Code Orange. Never even heard of 'em. What songs or record should I start with?!
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2023 21:17
  • Post subject:
Speaking only for myself, as a soon-to-be decrepit old geezer I'd obviously have to see Ride, Nothing, Warpaint, the Breeders, Steve Ignorant, Kim Gordon, and The Cure of course. Probably also Flogging Molly, the Black Angels... and I guess Fake Names too, just in case there anybody I know from my previous life in DC shows up. And of course I'd have to go see the Aquadolls, because regardless of what they sound like, they're just my kinda gals.

Finally, I'd probably want to see Drain, Braid, Bearings and Plosivs, if only to get some ideas on what to do the next time my kitchen sink gets clogged up and I can't find a plumber.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2023 23:18
  • Post subject:
Not to be a wokescold, but as someone who has spent most of my life around Chicago and knows lots of people affected by this…
https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/04/07...ces-heard/
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2023 23:51
  • Post subject:
MadhattanJack wrote:
Speaking only for myself, as a soon-to-be decrepit old geezer I'd obviously have to see Ride, Nothing, Warpaint, the Breeders, Steve Ignorant, Kim Gordon, and The Cure of course. Probably also Flogging Molly, the Black Angels... and I guess Fake Names too, just in case there anybody I know from my previous life in DC shows up. And of course I'd have to go see the Aquadolls, because regardless of what they sound like, they're just my kinda gals.

Finally, I'd probably want to see Drain, Braid, Bearings and Plosivs, if only to get some ideas on what to do the next time my kitchen sink gets clogged up and I can't find a plumber.

Frame And Canvas by Braid

Wow! This is some AWESOME Midwest Emo! Loving it!!! Love

Definitely one of those albums I will learn all the words to and sing with the faithful <just outside of! Laughing > the pit!!!

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 05/17/2023 13:23
  • Post subject:
Vintage Threads.

All Nerve by The Breeders

"This is album is just GREAT. Great. No other words. I love hearing this album song to song, as it reminds me of a great sound that hasn't been tapped for 25 years. Did I mention it sounds GREAT!! Best Kim has sounded!!" -BEA user Jaymantheman <Is this who I think it is?!>

Why didn't anyone tell me?!?! <I blame Dihansse! Razz > How on earth did I not hear about one of the best Indie Rock bands of the 90s releasing a killer comeback album just a few years back in 2018. Hmmmm.... Think Maybe it's not Dihansse's fault. Maybe I'm just getting old!!!

Anyways, if you're a fan of The Breeders earlier works this is sure to butter your buns!

AND, I have a serious question. Which album do YOU prefer: The Pod or Last Splash?! Or are they both Essential to The '90s Indie Rock Canon?!
  • Visit poster's website
melisandre

• Posted: 05/19/2023 13:41
  • Post subject:
Cool line up. Just Mustard are a good choice from lower down the bill. But yeah, plan in the P Funk first and work outwards from there I guess?
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 05/19/2023 20:11
  • Post subject:
Solid set of headliners and artists I’d want to see all the way down the bill.
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 05/19/2023 20:34
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
AND, I have a serious question. Which album do YOU prefer: The Pod or Last Splash?! Or are they both Essential to The '90s Indie Rock Canon?!

It's probably more of a "half-serious question," but if it's The '90s Indie Rock Canon, Last Splash is clearly the essential Breeders album. Pod has the better album cover, and at the time I was more excited to hear it because the Pixies were still together and I hadn't also gotten spoiled by the short-lived "shoegaze era," but that said... going by my own personal tune-memory capacity brain test, I can only remember two of the original songs from Pod ("Doe" and "Fortunately Gone"), but eight from Last Splash (counting "Roi" as one). So it just has better songs on it, in my personal shrinky-dink opinion.

As for All Nerve, it's better than the other two post-2000 Breeders albums, which is impressive in itself (given the usual trajectory for 90s bands who are still making records), but while it starts out great it kind of peters out towards the end. Worth a listen, though!
  • Visit poster's website