Is It Just Me....

View previous topic :: View next topic
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 05/21/2023 22:20
  • Post subject: Is It Just Me....
...or have the search functions here been horribly slow lately? Searching for albums and artists is almost impossible. I type in a name or a title and get a full list of things I did not ask for, while what I did specifically ask for has to be waited for. Sometimes, hitting the space bar a few times helps (which should not be the case)...but mostly, searches here are becoming...tedious.

For Example:

I just typed Simple Things Zero 7 into the search bar. After 25 seconds, it had pulled only things that start with Simple...and not what I asked for. I hit the space bar 1 time...it updated but did not give me what I asked for. I hit the space bar 2 more times, then got the correct results. Over 30 seconds to pull up Simple Things Zero 7. Why, when I type Simple Things Zero 7, does it not simply retrieve Simple Things Zero 7?

Tried again, this time being aggressive with the space bar. Had to hit it 6 times to get the proper result.

Typed Boston. Got 12 results, all wih Boston in the name or title. Including the band Boston. But not the album simply titled Boston. How does this not come up on first search? In order to get the album Boston, I have to add the word By.

I have had no problems with anything being slow on any other website I visit. And I have no problems with BEA being slow, except for searches.

Is it just me?...

Question
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 05/22/2023 04:28
  • Post subject: Re: Is It Just Me....
Romanelli wrote:
Is it just me?...

No, I've seen all those things too, to the point where I just assume I'm going to have to do the thing with the spacebar pretty much every time. But I obviously haven't been here anywhere near as long as you or most of the other forum posters, so I just figured it was "one of those things" and everyone was used to it. Neutral

If I had to guess (which admittedly I don't), I'd say there are multiple queries running to populate those drop-down lists, and the most likely bottleneck is the database server. The database server is always the piece nobody wants to mess with, usually for fear of breaking something, but sometimes that translates to hardware not getting upgraded even though the database is now ten or even a hundred times the size it was the last time it was upgraded. But again, that's just a guess!
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/22/2023 07:38
  • Post subject:
Apologies for the performance issue. Not sure why there are performance issues, or why things should be getting worse as nothing has changed for quite a while. Searches themselves do not touch the database and it was designed like this to take the load off the database (the database is only accessed for writes generally, which are fairly minimal for most albums). There's plenty of headroom on the server (upgraded multiple times & paying big bucks per month), so if there's an issue it's probably something that can be fixed via coding or rescheduling/less frequent updates of background tasks. I'm in the process of investigating and thank you for the heads up.
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 05/22/2023 15:39
  • Post subject:
Mainly on mobile at the moment as I’m moving house but I just tried it and have had no issues, near instant for me when using the search bar (may or may not be helpful information to have…).

• Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 05/22/2023 20:51
  • Post subject:
Just adding that I have the same issue when on home laptop or desktop computer (firefox or chrome) but not having the issue on mobile (chrome).

The issue(s) that Romanelli described has been happening to me for over a month I'd guess, though it's hard to figure out exactly when. It hasn't been too bothersome for me since there's workarounds (albeit bizarre like having to hit the spacebar multiple times or typing "[album] by" to get an album listed before artists).
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/23/2023 07:37
  • Post subject:
I think there's a couple of issues being discussed here: performance degradation at certain times of day & search being clunky. The performance issue is possibly occurring during peak hours, or while background jobs are running (investigating the times that these things happen to establish a pattern). Search is a different issue, and the 'space bar' hack is functional rather than performance-related.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/30/2023 10:25
  • Post subject:
Just posting back as hopefully now got to the bottom of the most recent performance issues (web server configuration issue), and the site should be running normally now. Apologies for the frustration this has caused, working very hard in the background to try and keep on top of everything, which is quite difficult sometimes due to sheer volume of daily tasks.
  • Visit poster's website