Well known artists with "hidden surprises"

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mind Movie

• Posted: 12/06/2011 21:28
  • Post subject: Well known artists with "hidden surprises"
Since I've been a long time fan of Neil Young's well known albums, I finally took the initiative to dig deeper in his catalogue. And now I know that many of his albums is weird as hell. Some of his most obscure albums include:

Arc: Might be the weirdest album in his catalogue, consisting of only one (over a half hour) composition based on cacophonic sound collages. I think he created it of bits of various live recordings from his hard rocking 90's period by the initiative of Thurston Moore (from Sonic Youth).
Dead Man: A film soundtrack. This album is totally free improvisation, creating an almost full instrumental and very atmospheric album - it's almost post-rock like.
Trans: I think Neil Young liked Kraftwerk, since this sounds like he's trying hardly to sound like them.
Everybody's Rockin': To me, this ties with Arc as his most bizarre album. This is very conventional though, but this is so extremely awful compared to any of his other releases, filled with kitsch and clichés. Here, in search of his inner Carl Perkins, Neil Young goes totally rockabilly. And he totally fails.

To me, this truely adds some very interesting perspectives to Neil Young's music, and though I'd still rather listen to his more well known albums, these discoveries have made like Neil Young even more.

Do you guys know any other well known artists with "hidden surprises"?
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 12/06/2011 21:44
  • Post subject:
Oh man, Trans... the album most Niel Young fans would hope to forget...

I didn't think it was half as bad as most people say it is.

One great gem is the oft-overlooked hi-larious Arcade Fire Christmas album, "A Very Arcade X-Mas".

And just to list a few others:
Queensryche - Tribe (TOTALLY underrated, too)
Smashing Pumpkins - Machina Acoustic Demos
Isis - Oceanic Remixes (Volume I; vinyl)

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 12/06/2011 21:45
  • Post subject:
There is that McCartney album, McCartney II, that is totally hated by hardcore Macca fans, and which is very entertaining. It's Mc doing fun stuff at home, sort of a "wtf" album : nothing to prove, I'm having fun, if you don't like it, I sincerely don't care.

And it's got that little gem, "Temporary Secretary", which is McCartney having a go at synthpop. Very funny.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Mind Movie

• Posted: 12/06/2011 21:53
  • Post subject:
Also "Having Fun with Elvis on Stage" by Elvis Presley is slighty funny, as it's an album consisting of nothing but Elvis goofing around with his audience. On the other hand, this was may the only way to experience your idol on the slack rope before YouTube, so maybe the release wasn't as stupid as its reputation often tell.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 12/06/2011 21:55
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
Oh man, Trans... the album most Niel Young fans would hope to forget...

I didn't think it was half as bad as most people say it is.

Even "We R In Control" ? I actually like Trans. It's more than half-missed, but I don't know, I find it interesting. And I also like "Computer Cowboy".
  • Visit poster's website
Mind Movie

• Posted: 12/06/2011 22:01
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
There is that McCartney album, McCartney II, that is totally hated by hardcore Macca fans, and which is very entertaining. It's Mc doing fun stuff at home, sort of a "wtf" album : nothing to prove, I'm having fun, if you don't like it, I sincerely don't care.

And it's got that little gem, "Temporary Secretary", which is McCartney having a go at synthpop. Very funny.

Link

Fuck man, this chorus is stucked inside my brain forever now Shocked
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 12/06/2011 22:54
  • Post subject:
Mind Movie wrote:
Norman Bates wrote:

Link

Fuck man, this chorus is stucked inside my brain forever now Shocked

Ha ha, it had the same effect on me. Totally silly, yet unforgettable. I love it when the big names leave their righteous looks in the locker room and unleash the stupidest in them.
  • Visit poster's website
Mind Movie

• Posted: 12/06/2011 23:32
  • Post subject:
Porcupine Tree have lot of compilation albums/EP's/other releases with some very weird psychedelic trance like music. It's very opposed to their very professional studio sound.
weedygonsalez

• Posted: 12/07/2011 05:16
  • Post subject:
Frank Zappa's catalog is absolutely loaded with surprises, good and bad. One of his earliest albums, Cruising with Ruben and the Jets, is an interesting straight foray into pure doo-wop soul. The strangest album, I think, is probably Thing-Fish, a fake soundtrack album about a play within a play about government-sponsored genocide.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/07/2011 05:36
  • Post subject: The Passenger's Soundtrack by U2
I know U2 are always going from the worst sellouts in the history of the world to the greatest band of the last 25 years, and Passengers helps me believe in the latter. I really wish they would have released this "mainstream." This was way before Radiohead got super artsy on us with Kid A, and is arguably more artsy. I love the opening track, the electronic experiments, Your Blue Room, Elvis Ate America and Miss Sarajevo. How many bands can say they have done a duet with Luciano Pavarotti?

From Wiki:
Original Soundtracks 1 (also known as Original Soundtracks) is a 1995 album recorded by U2 and Brian Eno, as a side project, under the pseudonym Passengers. It is a collection of songs written for mostly imaginary movies (the exclusions being songs for Ghost in the Shell, Miss Sarajevo, and Beyond the Clouds).
  • Visit poster's website