• Posted: 02/02/2012 23:16
  • Post subject:
Sonic Youth for being one of the first indie giants to jump to a major label
Nirvana, ditto
Herbie Hancock for resigning himself to funk
Miles Davis for incorporating any genre new to popular music into his music
Amon Tobin for taking on videogame soundtracks
The Clash; punk to dance, really?
Kanye West; you just sampled King Crimson and you can't rap... are you really white?
Robert Johnston sold his soul to the devil
Mark Hollis, "fuck-record-labels-saint," completes his contract with Polydor, records a solo album against his will
New Order; Unknown Pleasures to Technique, wtf dance strikes again
Pixies play U-Mass and other campuses joyfully
R.E.M. plays SNL hundreds of times... indie band still?

all sold-out, all are great bands because they sold out (except R.E.M.)
Kiki

• Posted: 02/03/2012 00:48
  • Post subject:
Happy wrote:
an_outlaw wrote:
What if an artist intentionally sets out to sell as many albums as possible? Think Would that act itself be selling out or playing/singing something they are not while doing be selling out?

I'm not sure. From what I heard, most bands make money off of merchandise, while the money from albums mainly goes to production costs and the record company.

With that said, I guess a band sells out when a band tries to slap their name onto as much merchandise as possible. By this definition, Kiss would be one of the biggest sell-outs because of all the merchandise they have (they even sell Kiss coffins!).

Could selling merchandise at all be an act of selling out? Or maybe selling out is nothing to do with that and what is going on in the mind of the artists?
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 03/09/2012 02:13
  • Post subject:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
nrs182 wrote:
I don't like that expression. It's overused. So damn overused. But everyone knows the Black Eyed Peas sold out big time.
There's going to be comments about Metallica, Linkin Park maybe Muse or Coldplay and other i cant recall right now. They didn't sold out, why would you change to another style if you were making good money with the first style? They might changed, maybe to wrong, but they did it because they felt in a different position in life and they couldnt keep on going with the same thing. Music is made by humans, the persons evolve and change and so do their music. There are actually a few band that have sold out, you know, for money. That my opinion at least.

Agree. The only way an artist or band can sell out is to compromise themselves and do something they wouldn't do otherwise if the huge pay raise wasn't motivating them. It's my belief that fans can speculate (and only speculate) , but only the artist and band knows for sure.

How about compromising your principles by selling your work to politicians or products that your don't endorse? First one off the top of my head - Moby.
  • Visit poster's website
VADERBREWING

United States

• Posted: 03/09/2012 02:37
  • Post subject:
pearljammer13 wrote:
Sugar Ray started out as a borderline metal band I believe, and obviously we all know they became pop rock and Mark McGrath ended up on Entertainment Tonight or some sort of pop culture show...Pretty ridiculous when you listen to both bands early work. But hey they made a buck, they just obviously don't care much about the music.

I have to stand up for Sugar Ray. I've got their greatest hits on my chart. I never really noticed a change in their image or look. True about the tv hosting. But the band did get back together to put together another album. In an interview they were very humble, undterstood their popularity "or lack there of and could make fun of themselveds". Getting back together was for the love of the music, with an understanding that they probably weren't going to make any cash.

Their right, not to many people have "Music for Cougers", but its a pretty good listen.
New fav's: The Weepies, Art Brut, 311. Old Fav's: Bowie, zepalin, stones, buckcherry, cheap trick, couting crowes. Seen: Black Crowes, Nirvana, Ugly Kid Joe, Pretenders, Phycadelic furs, Ozzy, Thompson Twins, B Adams...regret not seeing G&R.
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 03/15/2012 02:22
  • Post subject:
Sooo... apparently this happened?
http://www.hecklerspray.com/bono-spends...051860.php

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
VADERBREWING

United States

• Posted: 03/15/2012 03:26
  • Post subject:
How about Sir Elton Disney/Pixar John for the biggest sell out. This is pretty epic scale selling out as far as I'm concerned. Has he even put out a single that wasn't tied to Disney in the past 15 years.
New fav's: The Weepies, Art Brut, 311. Old Fav's: Bowie, zepalin, stones, buckcherry, cheap trick, couting crowes. Seen: Black Crowes, Nirvana, Ugly Kid Joe, Pretenders, Phycadelic furs, Ozzy, Thompson Twins, B Adams...regret not seeing G&R.
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 03/15/2012 03:30
  • Post subject:
VADERBREWING wrote:
How about Sir Elton Disney/Pixar John for the biggest sell out. This is pretty epic scale selling out as far as I'm concerned. Has he even put out a single that wasn't tied to Disney in the past 15 years.

Actually, yeah, he has. Quite a few. And a number of pretty darn good albums, too. In fact, he barely even works with Disney that much. Are you sure you don't mean Randy Newman?

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
VADERBREWING

United States

• Posted: 03/15/2012 05:34
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
VADERBREWING wrote:

Actually, yeah, he has. Quite a few. And a number of pretty darn good albums, too. In fact, he barely even works with Disney that much. Are you sure you don't mean Randy Newman?

I'll take your word on those good albums. I guess I just noticed his name in Lion King, Tarzan, and Gnomoe and Juliet, Road to Eldorado, and named a Disney Legend by Disney in 2006.

1994 Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
1996 Knighted
2006 Disney Legend

I think 10 years is the record for going from knight to Disney legend.
  • Visit poster's website
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada

• Posted: 03/15/2012 17:58
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
Miles Davis for incorporating any genre new to popular music into his music

Miles Davis a sell-out!?!?!? This is preposterous!!! Miles Davis is probably the one single individual in the whole history of mankind that was truly able to separate the chaff from the wheat when it came to music. When Miles integrated a new genre into his music he did not sell-out, he bought-out.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
ponkine

Chile

• Posted: 03/15/2012 18:39
  • Post subject:
U2
  • Visit poster's website