Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/03/2023 19:54
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
edit: btw, This means I need a NEW movie rec for 1963!!! Wink

Well— 8 1/2 is perfect, so it's a bit difficult to follow-up, but, if you haven't already—

Le Mepris

Il Gattopardo

天国と地獄

'63 staples.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 07/07/2023 23:34
  • Post subject:
'63:b (Impossibly) High Standards
Aka Sha la la la la ….

Please Please Me by The Beatles

Uh, oh, many, many, many nights go by,
I sit alone at home and I cry over you.
What can I do.
Can't help myself, 'cause....
---- Baby, It's You.

Gosh they set the bar awful high, didn’t they? They didn’t need to. They didn’t need to be perfect. Not yet. This wasn’t jazz. Or Dylan. But, they did. And thus they changed the whole game for Pop music. Made an art form of it right from the start. This stuff wasn't disposable. This was for keeps! <Like my heart! Love > How else to explain those guitars on "Anna (Go to Him)" ?! Or the harmonica that kicks off "Chains?"

Now, I'm not saying this is a perfect album. They're not Dylan level yet! There are still a few throwaways. Songs that I wouldn’t bother putting on a playlist. Like “Boys.” That song is relatively useless to me. And I find the vocals on “Ask Me Why” rather grating.

BUT, as pretty much the opening salvo for the British Invasion, I can't help but be a bit weak in the knees. Lovable mop tops indeed!

The Rating: Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 07/09/2023 21:55
  • Post subject:
Another thing 1963 is known for (and the early 60s in general) is novelty albums. For example, most people will tell you that the definitive version of "Yakety Sax" was released in 1963 by Boots Randolph:

Boots Randolph's Yakety Sax by Boots Randolph

Also, some people consider the definitive version of "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" to be the one recorded by Bob B. Soxx & the Blue Jeans in 1962, first released on an album in 1963. It was produced by Phil Spector, and some consider it to be his first "wall of sound" record. There's even a legend that the guitar sound on this song led to the invention of the fuzz box by people trying to replicate it.

Zip-A-Dee Doo Dah by Bob B. Soxx & The Blue Jeans

Finally, the only album on BEA by Japanese twin-sister duo The Peanuts is "Golden Greats," released in 1963. Monster movie fans might recognize The Peanuts as the original Shobijin, the singing high priestesses of Mothra:

Golden Deluxe by ザ・ピーナッツ [The Peanuts]

• Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 07/14/2023 02:43
  • Post subject:
'63:c It Always Rains in This City

Midnight Blue by Kenny Burrell

The Setting: It always rains in this city. And it's always nighttime. I have to keep a cigarette lit just to keep warm. Warmth is life. At least, that’s what I tell myself. Maybe I'm just addicted to cigarettes. I see a corner bar up the block. It’s neon sign welcoming me in like the smile of a chorus girl. And I never could resist a chorus girl. I head down the stairs. The tables are arranged around the stage. Red glassed candles on each flickering at me to sit down. “Alright,” I says. “Just one”. At least this place has heat. The band starts playing up on the stage. They feel just like this city. Just like this bar. Ripped from some 40ish black & white film noir. The kind where there’s dames and broads and guys who always have a good quip at the ready. I want to be those guys. And, I want to be with those dames. So I stay. One leads to two. And two naturally leads to three. The cold is gone. A small smile even manages to cross my lips. “This ain’t so bad,” I say to myself. Guess I’ll stay for one more.

The Listen: This is the kind of jazz I picture in my head in those scenes in those old black & whites. You know. The ones on TCM. I don’t care if it’s historically accurate. It’s my head. My picture. It’s what gives those scenes on late night tv that something extra. A certain timelessness. The coolest cats playing the coolest blue jazz. The city is their music. And their music is the city. Interchangeable. Interlinked. You can't have one without the other. Just like this rain. Just like this night. Which is why it always rains in this city. And it's always nighttime.

• Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 07/15/2023 17:54
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:

The Setting: It always rains in this city. And it's always nighttime. I have to keep a cigarette lit just to keep warm. Warmth is life. At least, that’s what I tell myself. Maybe I'm just addicted to cigarettes. I see a corner bar up the block. It’s neon sign welcoming me in like the smile of a chorus girl. And I never could resist a chorus girl. I head down the stairs. The tables are arranged around the stage. Red glassed candles on each flickering at me to sit down. “Alright,” I says. “Just one”. At least this place has heat. The band starts playing up on the stage. They feel just like this city. Just like this bar. Ripped from some 40ish black & white film noir. The kind where there’s dames and broads and guys who always have a good quip at the ready. I want to be those guys. And, I want to be with those dames. So I stay. One leads to two. And two naturally leads to three. The cold is gone. A small smile even manages to cross my lips. “This ain’t so bad,” I say to myself. Guess I’ll stay for one more.

The Listen: This is the kind of jazz I picture in my head in those scenes in those old black & whites. You know. The ones on TCM. I don’t care if it’s historically accurate. It’s my head. My picture. It’s what gives those scenes on late night tv that something extra. A certain timelessness. The coolest cats playing the coolest blue jazz. The city is their music. And their music is the city. Interchangeable. Interlinked. You can't have one without the other. Just like this rain. Just like this night. Which is why it always rains in this city. And it's always nighttime.

I never really heard Midnight Blue like that, but in reading your description, I can see how it makes sense.

It comes from '58, not '63, but if you ever want to hear the ultimate music of seedy city film noir, Miles Davis's Ascenseur pour l'echafaud is about as descriptive as it gets.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 07/15/2023 18:06
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Repo wrote:

I never really heard Midnight Blue like that, but in reading your description, I can see how it makes sense.

It comes from '58, not '63, but if you ever want to hear the ultimate music of seedy city film noir, Miles Davis's Ascenseur pour l'echafaud is about as descriptive as it gets.

It could be related to my limited exposure to jazz! lol. I'm just finally dipping my toes in. That's the scene which came to my mind while I was listening & washing dishes. I'll try comparing it with Ascenseur pour l'echafaud later this week when I get the chance! <Me & my kids r going camping this week in the Upper Peninsula of Michican so it could be a bit longer. >
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 07/15/2023 23:09
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
Fischman wrote:

It could be related to my limited exposure to jazz! lol. I'm just finally dipping my toes in. That's the scene which came to my mind while I was listening & washing dishes. I'll try comparing it with Ascenseur pour l'echafaud later this week when I get the chance! <Me & my kids r going camping this week in the Upper Peninsula of Michican so it could be a bit longer. >

So I started listening to Ascenseur while making some fried rice, AND I totally see what u mean with that first track - Generique. Totally has that smoky, late-night hotel bar vibe I love. BUT, then "Sur La Autoroute" comes on and it's just way to busy. It feels like daytime and I'm walking down a boisterous, clang-clanging city street. And then the next track "Julian dans l'ascenceur" is far too melancholy. That feels like something bad just happened and I'm holed up in my hotel room furtively looking out my window through drapes wondering if I'm being followed or sth.

Way cool album though!!! I saw the movie back in 2016 and remember really liking it. Now I'm going to have to watch it again! Not surprisingly since it's a soundtrack and all, I just feel Ascenseur pour l'echafaud has too many moods for what I was talking about. And now "Florence sur la champs-elysses" came on and again I feel we could be BACK at that smoky nightclub you were talking about! lol.

Ok. Back to making dinner! lol.

Thanks again!!! This was fun! Very Happy Pray It's great getting a real jazzhead's take!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2023 01:32
  • Post subject:
Glad you enjoyed the album.

Hope you and the kids have a great camping trip. I love the UP! Amazing area. My last trip was focused on mountain biking around Copper Harbor and Marquette.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2023 13:24
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Glad you enjoyed the album.

Hope you and the kids have a great camping trip. I love the UP! Amazing area. My last trip was focused on mountain biking around Copper Harbor and Marquette.

Thanks, Fischman! We're headed to Pictured Rocks and Munising! Copper Harbor looks amazing. Will have to file that away!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 07/24/2023 17:08
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Repo wrote:
btw, This means I need a NEW movie rec for 1963!!! Wink

The Haunting (dir. Robert Wise) would be my pick

Watched last night with my two girls in a hotel room in Sheboygan. They immediately fell in love with Theo - her attitude, her fashion, her barbed wit. BUT most of all they suspected that she had the hots for Nell, and they loved the fact that there was a LGBTQ icon way back in 1963. THAT was the highlight of the movie for them. lol.

I thought the casting was great. Especially Nell & Theo. The tension and love/hate between those two was striking. Nell was perfect as the girl most likely to lose her shit in a haunted house. The mix of guilt & resentment she'd harbored from years of taking care of her mother made her easy pickings!

Loved the ambience of the old house. The set designs were perfect.

I'd give it a solid Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

1963 Movie Rankings <so far>
1. 8 1/2
2. Pink Panther
3. The Haunting
4. The Sword & The Stone
  • Visit poster's website