Album of the day (#4589): Disintegration by The Cure

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/13/2023 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#4589): Disintegration by The Cure
Today's album of the day

Disintegration by The Cure (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1989.
Overall rank: 32
Average rating: 87/100 (from 1927 votes).

Tracks:
1. Plainsong
2. Pictures Of You
3. Closedown
4. Lovesong
5. Last Dance
6. Lullaby
7. Fascination Street
8. Prayers For Rain
9. The Same Deep Water As You
10. Disintegration
11. Homesick
12. Untitled

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States

• Posted: 07/13/2023 20:08
  • Post subject:
Probably a top three album for me. Top five for sure. The culmination of everything The Cure did well: Irresistible hooks and melodies paired with the thickest gothic atmosphere. A titanic, peerless achievement.

Track picks
1. Plainsong
2. Pictures Of You
6. Lullaby
10. Disintegration
11. Homesick
  • Visit poster's website
TimeLion

• Posted: 07/14/2023 02:02
  • Post subject:
I once encountered a 7-year-old boy who said that Disintegration was his favorite album. He stared at my elbow the whole time like there was nothing else around.

I didn’t wonder much about it, but I did return him to his parents.
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 07/14/2023 07:08
  • Post subject:
I was happy when The Cure FINALLY got inducted into RnRHoF. Although I hadn’t even listen to one song. That’s kinda how I felt about them in the beginning. You know just as soon as you start digging a catalog, you’re gonna love the act - The Cure was one of those for me. But how did I get to know The Cure, and when did I get into their music? First heard about them, when Canadian Studmuffin name-dropped a lot of bands that didn’t make his top ten, yet their name stuck out a little, since they ain’t named ‘The ___s’ . Secondly, I was involved in a discussion (don’t remember which), but a member (believe it was craola), who said a friend of his has come closer to God through The Cure’s music, although the lead singer (named Robert Smith) is an atheist. Woah./Thirdly and most definitely convincingly was my new high school grade’s study trip to London to play on Lambeth College some songs, including Fascination Street. On the first day when we got there, we went firstly to a likable museum, then me and the boys went to a record store. I bought a vinyl copy of Disintegration B4 I EVEN HEARD IT. Later that night, my roommate (also the guy who suggested the song to play) suggested that in June (when I’d listen to all the missed and new records), I should listen to the Disintegration album, at least 5 times, so I said I would do so. Ya know many albums have shorter good cuts and one epic song, well this LP is 12 epic songs. I listened to it five times in a row, as stated - but I want to listen to it forever. Iconically catchy, significantly atmospheric, musically sophisticated. The Same Deep Water As You has an instant hummable guitar-riff, that I find very underrated. Identical to Lovesong, and that song has that magnificently fitting delivery, from the lead singer. Robert Smith, rock’s Dracula is utterly incontrollable of his emotions about life, yet controllable in terms of perfectly expressing ‘em.
If dreary guitars on most hard-rock albums are on fire, these guitar riffs/effects are on water. Speaking about that, I love the water metaphors that pops up in these lyrics.
In one interview, Mr. Smith said that he likes to twist the system by adding his dark thoughts into uplifting melodies. But once Disintegration has had enough spins, these (over satisfyingly catchy) melodies has been transcribed to melancholia in your head. Not every single musician can pull those advantages off. But what always has stroke me strangely when spinning Disintegration is its sonic mixing. It isn’t super clear. You then force yourself to listen closelier. Then at a point when you’re trying to get out of its sonic landscape, it keeps playing in the back of your mind. A little crazy, but true.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 07/16/2023 20:43
  • Post subject:
^^^ good write up. Shoutout Canadian Studmuffin.

Disintegration is a record like no other. It’s absolutely part of my main chart and moves up a couple spots after each listen. I would have more full listens but sometimes during Plainsong, I can’t even make it to where the vocals come in due to the overwhelming waves of the opening instrumental passage.
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/26/2023 03:31
  • Post subject:
One of the very best albums ever made.
I've loved it a long time.
Plainsong and The Same Deep Water As You are two of my fave songs of all time.
This album made my teenage years more bearable.
  • Visit poster's website