Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 09/12/2023 00:11
  • Post subject:
Brigand99 wrote:
CA Dreamin wrote:
- Big win for Robert Altman. Each of his four films (McCabe, Long Goodbye, Nashville, and 3 Women) from the old list made it again this time...and they all saw their rankings improve by double digits. +62 for Nashville, AfterHours must be thrilled! I know I'm outspoken in my indifferent feelings towards Nashville, but I'm glad Altman's getting respect. I had McCabe, Long Goodbye, 3 Women, California Split, and MASH on my personal list (and nearly included Images too). Altman may have had the best body of work of the decade.

- Although Francis Ford Coppola could also make that claim. It's a numbers game. Altman directed 13 features in the 70s, of which I'd say at least 9 are worth watching. Whereas FFC directed only 4 features in the 70s...but all 4 of them are in our Top 16, including our #1. I agree Apocalypse Now is a fantastic choice for #1.

You say you almost included Images and you should have! I don't remember seeing any other votes for it besides my own, which I had it at number 11 I think. I wonder why that one isn't a favorite when so many other Altman movies of the '70s are. How could anyone not love a movie that good??
Images is kind of a single-focused experimental film, that explores paranoia and schizophrenia from a first-person perspective. From there, mileage varies on how effective it is. I'm with you, I find it very effective for what it is, but it isn't as ambitious as Altman's other works of the 70s, and most people consider his other works stronger overall. Plus, it's not as popular, so I reckon many users here haven't even seen it.

I chose against including Images on my list because I already had 5 Altmans on my list by the time I reached #85ish, and there were about 30 movies competing for the last few spots, and I preferred representing other film-makers.

It wasn't a knock against the film nor its director, and I stand by my claim that Altman was perhaps the best director of the 70s. Him and Coppola are definitely close.

And another director who could be up there is Rainer W. Fassbinder. I didn't know this until recently but Fassbinder directed 33 feature films in the 1970s, most of which he also wrote the script for, which I find astonishing. That's a feature film completed every four months. I can't think of anyone else in cinema history who was nearly that prolific. What was his schedule like? Did he ever take a day off for 10+ years? How did he do it? Fassbinder was a cocaine addict (which sadly claimed his life in 1982), so surely that was keeping him awake throughout the decade. It's sad that his body work and legacy are hard to separate from his unhealthy lifestyle. Nevertheless, he had one hell of a decade. I've seen less than half of his films, and not all of them are winners. However, he had a solid batting average, and four of his films made my list (Fear Eats the Soul, Martha, Fox and His Friends, and Chinese Roulette). Only two made our final list (Fear Eats the Soul and World on a Wire (which I haven't seen)). I'm rambling at this point. Who do you all think had the best body of work in the 70s?

mickilennial wrote:
what can i do to get you people to acknowledge The Castle of Cagliostro
I think it's decent. Miyazaki nicely displayed his style in his debut. It's impressive for a first film, but I think he improved as his career unfolded. Someone acknowledged it.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/12/2023 00:38
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
And another director who could be up there is Rainer W. Fassbinder. I didn't know this until recently but Fassbinder directed 33 feature films in the 1970s, most of which he also wrote the script for, which I find astonishing. That's a feature film completed every four months. I can't think of anyone else in cinema history who was nearly that prolific. What was his schedule like? Did he ever take a day off for 10+ years? How did he do it? Fassbinder was a cocaine addict (which sadly claimed his life in 1982), so surely that was keeping him awake throughout the decade. It's sad that his body work and legacy are hard to separate from his unhealthy lifestyle. Nevertheless, he had one hell of a decade. I've seen less than half of his films, and not all of them are winners. However, he had a solid batting average, and four of his films made my list (Fear Eats the Soul, Martha, Fox and His Friends, and Chinese Roulette). Only two made our final list (Fear Eats the Soul and World on a Wire (which I haven't seen)). I'm rambling at this point. Who do you all think had the best body of work in the 70s?

Worth noting Fassbinder also landed one of our runner-up spots with Fox And His Friends

Being said, I have to admit I felt like I underrepresented him on even my own list... I included The Marriage of Maria Braun and Ali: Fear Eats The Soul, but in retrospect I suppose I should have included In a Year with 13 Moons or The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant as well. To me Fassbinder was one of the quintessential 70s directors, stylistically, thematically, artistically and daringly— he progressed European cinema. No question. His films encapsulated a vibe distinctly 'Fassbinder'— avant-garde, shocking, grimy, uneasy, uncomfortably human, yet unexpectedly universal, accessible and full of heart. He always made sure to centre films around feelings, which will forever be timeless. And like you said, for someone so prolific (and... well, on cocaine) the quality of his work is astounding. It's not like these are all 80-90 minute films— World On A Wire is 3h+ and Eight Hours Don’t Make a Day (usually considered his best) clocks somewhere around 7h— (not to mention the 15h Berlin Alexanderplatz in 1980, which is possibly my personal favourite by him). A true poete maudit of cinema.

His personal life was pretty wild too. Amazing what people used to squeeze into a lifetime before the internet existed.
  • Visit poster's website
Bach

Italy

• Posted: 09/12/2023 15:07
  • Post subject:
I included 10 Fassbinder films in my Top 100 of the 70s. For me he is the director with the best body of work in the decade (followed by Woody Allen).

I've seen 27 Fassbinder films (21 from the 70s) + his 2 tv series - Eight Hours Don't Make a Day and Berlin Alexanderplatz (my least favourite Fassbinder, by the way).

I've recently read this biography, but I don't know if it's available in English:

• Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 09/12/2023 23:45
  • Post subject:
I think Fassbinder only got two movies on our list because he has so many to pick from, he lacks consensus choices. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul is the closest he has to a consensus choice, the only movie of his that appeared on both the old and new lists. But yes, there are many of Hayden's words to describe his work; avant-garde, uneasy, yet full of heart, etc. I'll toss in simplistic. From what I've seen, his films are not lavish in production design or cinematography; scenes in his films are mostly indoors, and mostly only have at most a handful of characters (which further explains how he churned out movies so quickly). But this prevents us from being distracted and fully focus on his characters and their everyday struggles. Also a pioneer for bringing gay and transgender characters to the screen.

Anyway, I've seen 17 Fassbinder films, 15 from the 70s, which is still less than half. I would put Coppola and Altman as my top 2 directors of the decade but Fassbinder could join them depending how much I like the ones I haven't seen yet.
Bach wrote:
I included 10 Fassbinder films in my Top 100 of the 70s. For me he is the director with the best body of work in the decade (followed by Woody Allen).
10, wow. You are a true fan. While I draw the line well before 10, that's respect. It would have been nice if a 3rd Fassbinder made our list; but again, with so many to pick from, not everyone chooses the same movies, thus most of them miss the top 100. But if more users had 10 on their personal list, that would have landed a 3rd (almost certainly more) one on our final list!
  • Visit poster's website
Bach

Italy

• Posted: 09/13/2023 09:32
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
his films are not lavish in production design or cinematography;

"Effi Briest", "Lola", "Veronika Voss" and "Querelle" have great cinematography and production design.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 09/15/2023 15:14
  • Post subject:
Bach wrote:
CA Dreamin wrote:
From what I've seen, his films are not lavish in production design or cinematography;
"Effi Briest", "Lola", "Veronika Voss" and "Querelle" have great cinematography and production design.
I've only seen 1 of those 4. And my comment was by no means a critique on the look of his films.

I guess the hootin' tootin' Sixties are next.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 09/20/2023 18:32
  • Post subject:
yee haw
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 09/23/2023 15:52
  • Post subject:
been quiet around here, huh
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/23/2023 15:59
  • Post subject:
mickilennial wrote:
been quiet around here, huh

I've had a busy few weeks Confused
Entire last few months I've been a little swamped. Wished I could have contributed just a little bit more to this poll, but.

Being said, a 60s list is certainly viable, but I might not get around to it for a sec. Would there be an interest to conduct it before or after this time next year?
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 09/23/2023 16:19
  • Post subject:
i can finish a list by Thanksgiving, maybe even Halloween
  • Visit poster's website