Best Films of The 70s (V2) [List]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Brigand99

United States

• Posted: 09/24/2023 21:49
  • Post subject:
I'm not at all trying to hurry you or anything, but I got a list ready too.

https://letterboxd.com/pascal58/list/best-of-60s/
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 09/24/2023 23:24
  • Post subject:
Ya know, the point/spirit of these polls is to use the time while they're open to discover new movies, and revisit/reevaluate old favorites. Posting a list as soon as a poll opens is one thing. But posting a list before a poll opens in an unrelated thread is another. That's a new one. Hayden, patience is wearing thin, you might want to start the 60s thread, before this turns into the 60s thread Laughing .

Uh, yeah our 70s list is pretty good, isn't it? I thought for sure Taxi Driver would take #1, but I prefer Apocalypse Now.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/25/2023 00:03
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
Uh, yeah our 70s list is pretty good, isn't it? I thought for sure Taxi Driver would take #1, but I prefer Apocalypse Now.

I actually wasn't sure what would end up on top... like I said, had the poll closed when it was supposed to, A Clockwork Orange had that glory. There was even a very small smidge (sometime in July) where A Clockwork Orange and Apocalypse Now were tied at #1, which was kinda insane. Stalker was even #1 for a while. (I think the only film in our top 5 that was never at #1 was oddly our #2, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest).

After being crowned the best film of all time, I was curious as to how Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles would rank. I think it landed where it deserved.

And thanks Brigand99 Razz — it'll be tallied in time. Like I said, think it's looking like an October start. There's a few entries on your list I need to personally get around to watching... I think people might be surprised to hear I've never seen The Birds, In Cold Blood or Doctor Zhivago.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 09/25/2023 00:32
  • Post subject:
Yeah I'm all for taking a breather before the next poll, but looking forward regardless. For the 60s it would also do good to have a complimentary Best Short Film category
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/25/2023 01:04
  • Post subject:
cestuneblague wrote:
Yeah I'm all for taking a breather before the next poll, but looking forward regardless. For the 60s it would also do good to have a complimentary Best Short Film category

Think

Hmmm....
Well, what are we thinking? An additional sub-category for top 10 shorts or something?
I'll admit, it'd be neat, but we've never done it before— could enter new BEA territory Razz
Anything under 40 minutes?

Wouldn't be in lieu of the soundtrack category— we'd do both. We are BEA afterall Mr. Green
  • Visit poster's website
Brigand99

United States

• Posted: 09/25/2023 01:09
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
Ya know, the point/spirit of these polls is to use the time while they're open to discover new movies, and revisit/reevaluate old favorites. Posting a list as soon as a poll opens is one thing. But posting a list before a poll opens in an unrelated thread is another. That's a new one. Hayden, patience is wearing thin, you might want to start the 60s thread, before this turns into the 60s thread Laughing .

For me, I would need to have been familiar with a movie for years and years before I felt I had a good judgment of it. I would never put a movie which I just discovered, and only seen once, onto a list of best or favorite movies. There's a lot of movies that we like when we first see them, but when you see it again later you might not think as highly of it. Or it could work the other way around. In the last poll, I enjoyed seeing movies that people mentioned that I I've never seen before, but I wouldn't put it on my list because it hasn't been a long enough time to know what I might think of it a month from now. You know what I mean? That's why I felt like I could submit a list right away for this poll. Because they're all movies that I've known for a long time.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 09/25/2023 16:49
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:

I mean you guys have told me my lists when posted early are better by the spirit of giving you some films to prioritize on watching Razz
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 09/25/2023 17:23
  • Post subject:
cestuneblague wrote:
For the 60s it would also do good to have a complimentary Best Short Film category
That's a neat idea. We'd have to go over a few rules and guidelines once the thread starts up.
Hayden wrote:
After being crowned the best film of all time, I was curious as to how Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles would rank. I think it landed where it deserved.
Well, best film according to Sight and Sound critics. The directors chose the superior 2001. But anyway, yeah Jeanne Dielman was buzzing within film circles last December. A surprise #1 that polarized movie buffs. As I said on the last page of the Sight and Sound thread, I think Jeanne Dielman a very unique film that deserves a special place in cinema history. I also think it's great from a theoretical point of view, as it achieves what it set out to do. However, I think naming it the best film ever made is a stretch. But hey, I had never heard of Jeanne Dielman before Dec-2022, so its #1 critics placement brought it to my attention, got me to watch it, and it landed on the lower half of my list. While I disagree with its #1 SnS rank, I won't join the chorus of haters who now believe SnS has discredited itself. If SnS critics put JD at #1 again in 2032, well...I would take issue with that.
Brigand99 wrote:
For me, I would need to have been familiar with a movie for years and years before I felt I had a good judgment of it. I would never put a movie which I just discovered, and only seen once, onto a list of best or favorite movies. There's a lot of movies that we like when we first see them, but when you see it again later you might not think as highly of it. Or it could work the other way around. In the last poll, I enjoyed seeing movies that people mentioned that I I've never seen before, but I wouldn't put it on my list because it hasn't been a long enough time to know what I might think of it a month from now. You know what I mean? That's why I felt like I could submit a list right away for this poll. Because they're all movies that I've known for a long time.
Yeah I know what you mean. All good.
mickilennial wrote:
I mean you guys have told me my lists when posted early are better by the spirit of giving you some films to prioritize on watching Razz
Ha, true.
Olli

Germany

• Posted: 09/25/2023 20:05
  • Post subject:
I want a poll for films only 1920s

see my list for this time https://letterboxd.com/machtraum/list/m...the-1920s/
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 09/26/2023 01:32
  • Post subject:
Olli wrote:
I want a poll for films only 1920s

see my list for this time https://letterboxd.com/machtraum/list/m...the-1920s/

We could always start a new thread, though...? Even if we have an informal "one organized movie-decade poll at a time" rule, that shouldn't prevent us from having a forum thread for 1920's silent movies (or in more practical terms, silents in general).

Your list looks a lot like what mine would probably look like, except that I haven't seen at least half of them. Neutral
  • Visit poster's website