Redo

View previous topic :: View next topic
spigelwii

United States

• Posted: 12/08/2023 03:55
  • Post subject: Redo
Hey everybody.

I've been wanting to participate in the forums forever as my friends are starting to get irritated with me and my newfangled album rating system (I'm going through everything again and throwing a fresh coat of paint on old charts and stuff, never mind), but I've never really been super great at the whole introductions thing so...here I am, again, years after my last post probably (don't go back and look, it's for your own safety), saying hello and how are you and it's nice to be here and I love the site and I've discovered so much cool stuff just from reading through people's charts.

Thank you.
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 12/08/2023 06:38
  • Post subject: Re: Redo
spigelwii wrote:
I've been wanting to participate in the forums forever as my friends are starting to get irritated with me and my newfangled album rating system (I'm going through everything again and throwing a fresh coat of paint on old charts and stuff, never mind)

My friends got pretty irritated with my latest album-ranking system too, since it was based almost entirely on whether or not I was able to steal the album from them without their knowing about it until I'd already rated it, and then refusing to give it back because my ability to keep it indefinitely was a "vital part of my new rating system." So I think I might have to change back to the old system, which was mostly based on advice from non-English-speaking online psychics.

Also, it looks like you stopped posting a few months before I initially showed up, so I'm sorry I wasn't there to support you on that whole "Meghan Trainor's Christmas Album" business... That said, you probably should listen to more Cabaret Voltaire.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/08/2023 10:09
Welcome back to the site, only important that your rating system works for you and I wouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks

MadhattanJack wrote:
My friends got pretty irritated with my latest album-ranking system too, since it was based almost entirely on whether or not I was able to steal the album from them without their knowing about it until I'd already rated it, and then refusing to give it back because my ability to keep it indefinitely was a "vital part of my new rating system." So I think I might have to change back to the old system, which was mostly based on advice from non-English-speaking online psychics.

I remember borrowing a 12" from a DJ friend after a nightclub gig back in the '90s as I really liked it. I put the 12" in a friend's car boot for safe-keeping (I was 18 at the time and wasn't driving yet myself), but it was summertime.... When my DJ friend eventually asked for his 12" back, I kept having to make excuses as the vinyl had warped and melted in the car. I hadn't seen my friend with the car for a little while, and I never owned up or returned the 12" because I was too embarrassed. I still feel guilty to this day. Embarassed
  • Visit poster's website
spigelwii

United States

• Posted: 12/08/2023 12:05
MadhattanJack wrote:

Also, it looks like you stopped posting a few months before I initially showed up, so I'm sorry I wasn't there to support you on that whole "Meghan Trainor's Christmas Album" business... That said, you probably should listen to more Cabaret Voltaire.

I told you not to go back and look!

...Thanks for the warm welcome.
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 12/08/2023 21:49
albummaster wrote:
I put the 12" in a friend's car boot for safe-keeping (I was 18 at the time and wasn't driving yet myself), but it was summertime.... When my DJ friend eventually asked for his 12" back, I kept having to make excuses as the vinyl had warped and melted in the car. I hadn't seen my friend with the car for a little while, and I never owned up or returned the 12"...

My usual move was to put the two or three albums I was bringing over (for a friend to listen to, or to trade in, or whatever) on the roof of the car, get in, and then drive away. The first time it happened, I got all the way to my destination 12 miles away before realizing the albums were missing (one of them was a copy of the Only Ones' Baby's Got A Gun, but the others were much less essential). The second time, I figured it out after only a half-mile or so, so I went back and managed to rescue them before anyone else had driven over them.

I don't think I ever trashed someone else's album (or 12-inch) though, so yes, I could see how that would be more problematic! d'oh!

Maybe we should start a new "Have you ever physically destroyed an LP, and if so, how?" thread. Might be some interesting anecdotes in there.
  • Visit poster's website