View previous topic :: View next topic
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 01/21/2024 16:59
  • Post subject:
CharlieBarley wrote:
Great thread Bro.
Will have to check out Danny Brown. I like Herbie Hancock. I agree that Souvlaki and the Julee Cruise albums are great. Mellow.

Thank you! The Danny Brown album is a great experience. Certainly experimental hip-hop that does not seem too alienating.
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 01/21/2024 16:59
  • Post subject:

Substrata by Biosphere

January 21, 2024

◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈ ◈◈◈◈◈

Quote:
I initially revisited this album on vinyl. Interestingly, the vinyl format actually did not elevate the listening experience for me. For starts, I much prefer the original album art. Second, the vinyl breaks up the seamless experience between tracks, which hinders the album in my opinion. I did a second listen while enjoying the bright winter's day and it affirmed that this is a headphone album. This is one of those ambient albums that you could put it on in the background, but you're missing out on the immersive-ness if you do. This album follows the 90s trend of adding movie or TV dialogue samples, and it's one of the few moments where I think it does work in the album's favor. There are two Twin Peaks samples that add to the eerie ambiance of this record, and a third sample that I am not familiar with, but all of them fit so well into the experience.

I think another interesting thing to note is how the original album art (while I do prefer) is mildly misleading. Not because this album does not sound cold/arctic (it very much does), but rather the original album art gives a brighter, almost new-agey sort of feel with the bright blue sky and the mountains with the white background and ice-colored fonts. This album is pretty much dark ambient music at multiple points. Maybe that's why Biosphere changed the album art. Anyways, this is a very layered ambient album. Biosphere could've hit us with simple wintry synths, but he takes us through multiples areas of the arctic. We go from the peaks of the mountains, like on "Kobresia" to alien caves, like on "Hyperborea," to desolate arctic deserts like on "Poa Alpina." It's why I think this is a headphone album that you should listen to with more attention than other ambient record. I'm glad I gave this album multiple listens because if I simply let the vinyl session dictate my score, the score would be much lower.

Rating: 98/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 01/22/2024 02:43
  • Post subject:

Deep Frieze by Sleep Research Facility

January 20, 2024

Quote:
This is a definitive dark ambient record. It's ambient in all aspects of the name. There are some dark ambient albums that have too much going on for it to be fully "ambient music," but this is undoubtedly ambient music. As soon as you start the album, a cold undercurrent of dark synths start to wash over you and the momentum is sustained for the duration of the record. 5 tracks, each well over 10 minutes. They all blend together so well that SleepResearchFacility could've easily made this a one track album, but I think adding coordinates as the track titles adds to the mystery of the record. This album is at glacial pace, yet disorienting. You can't tell how far you've progressed without looking at the timer on your computer. While all the tracks sound very similar from each other, they differentiate by very subtle electronics which honestly sound really good.

This is definite a winter headphone album. I can't imagine playing this in the middle of the summer during the day. If you live in a place where your climate does not provide snow, then at least wait until the night time to listen to this. I don't think an album better captures the horrifying experience of being stranded in the Antarctic. I mean, I sure as hell don't know what it's like, but I'd imagine this album is the closest one can get to experiencing it from the comfort of their own home.

Rating: 94/100
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 01/22/2024 20:47
  • Post subject:
Ayyyy, you know I like those last two picks.

They pair well with...

Permafrost by Thomas Köner

It's been cold!
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 01/23/2024 02:59
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Ayyyy, you know I like those last two picks.

They pair well with...

Permafrost by Thomas Köner

It's been cold!

Very nice! Will check this out! And yes, this Arctic chill has been intense!
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 01/23/2024 03:00
  • Post subject:

Nepenthe by Julianna Barwick

January 22, 2024

Quote:
I want to love this album-- I really do. But I only like this album. Why that is? Hard to say. There are certain traits this album has that I usually enjoy: it's atmospheric and peaceful, the female vocals are gorgeous, and the nocturnal themes are vividly amazing. However, I don't feel myself being as enveloped as the previous ambient albums I posted on here. Which is a shame, because this album is very very pretty.

Upon a quick Google search, the word "nepenthe" (according to the Oxford Languages) is a potion used in ancient cultures to promote forgetfulness of grief, pain, and sorrow. With the context, the intent and feelings of the album make more sense. However, I am just not in that mindset (which should be a fortunate thing, I don't want to be grieving or in emotional pain!). Beautiful ambient pieces. I just couldn't immerse myself into it.

Rating: 75/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 01/24/2024 03:14
  • Post subject:

Flying Saucer Attack by Flying Saucer Attack

January 23, 2024

Quote:
This was a deeply psychedelic album. I know the alternative title is Rural Psychedelia, but still it's hunbling to appreciate how psychedelic this album is. The noisy guitars sound organized, then slowly become swirly and disorienting. The drums fade in and out of a ritualistic rhythm. The vocals are distorted like a ghost speaking to you. This album sounds wonderful to my ears. I do wish, at some times, the songs felt more concrete instead of their usual ghostly nature and, especially during the most chaotic parts of the album, the guitars carried more meat in their noise.

Rating: 85/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 01/24/2024 04:05
  • Post subject:

In A Silent Way by Miles Davis

January 23, 2024

Quote:
I wish I was living my young adult years during the Miles Davis's jazz fusion era. Just imagine getting your mind blown hearing In A Silent Way for the first time. There's a certain ethereal magic with this album that's difficult to articulate. It's evident from the opening seconds of the record with the ambient sounds of the electric keyboard and the initial guitar chords. The album is two ~20 minute pieces that are the result of a three hour studio session. Different moments of the studio session were spliced together to create two distinct tracks. Ironically, "Shhh/Peaceful" feels the most dynamic of the two tracks. Mile's trumpet, the electric keyboards, John McLaughlin's guitar, the bass, all dance around hypnotic drums and cymbals. It leans into rock and funk, but the jazz framework prevents the track from falling into full-on rock or funk music. It's hypnotic and captivating.

The second track, "In A Silent Way / It's About That Time," is a nocturnal masterpiece. The gentle lullaby feel to the guitar in the beginning suggests a dream-like setting for this piece. Mile's horn slowly wakes up the band for the piece. It's similar to the dance I was describing on "Shhh/Peaceful" where you feel the instruments dance around a repetitive percussion, but this feels like it's all extracted from a dream. Then, the track suddenly ends with the same sleepy lullaby-- almost out of nowhere. It's so magical and ethereal, I get chills every time I listen.

In A Silent Way is truly lightning in a bottle. It's so brilliant and forward thinking for its time. Everything about this album is perfect. The way the instruments sound, the analog recording, the ambiance of the room, the artwork. A sincere contender for my favorite album ever.

Rating: 100/100 Applause
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 01/28/2024 18:36
  • Post subject:

Crescent by John Coltrane Quartet

January 28, 2024

Quote:
Incredible smokey saxophone by Mr. John Coltrane. This album emits a noir, and dare I say even gothic, atmosphere that sounds oh so good. These are relaxed, yet serious long form pieces that fill every corner of the room. "Bessie's Blues" kind of sticks out since it's the shortest and most energetic piece of the whole album. The personnel on this quartet is also fantastic: McCoy Tyner on piano, Elvin Jones on drums, Jimmy Garrison on bass, and of course the legendary Coltrane on saxophone. Legendary recording engineer Rudy Van Gelder deserves the spotlight as well because of how good this album sounds. Essential vinyl listening.

Rating: 97/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 01/28/2024 19:01
  • Post subject:

Solid State Survivor by Yellow Magic Orchestra

January 28, 2024

Quote:
One of the most concise, brilliant, and COLORFUL synthpop records ever. Emphasis on the colorful. The analogue synths are so bright, loud, and clear that I'm imagining some super colorful and whimsical theme park to play in when I listen to this album. A lot of the charm with this album is its playfulness. It could be a turn off for some listeners because it does get quite quirky and goofy at some parts, but that's why I love this album. It's the definition of having fun with synths! Impressively layered for how old this album is. It must've been a real pain to record with all of the detail crammed in, but YMO succeeded!

Rating: 98/100