What changes would you like to see in 2012?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
weedygonsalez

• Posted: 12/31/2011 03:49
  • Post subject:
Perhaps once additional charts are introduced, genre or song and the like, then decade could be reduced to a lower level and the others could become the more distant trophies.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 12/31/2011 04:12
  • Post subject:
weedygonsalez wrote:
Perhaps once additional charts are introduced, genre or song and the like, then decade could be reduced to a lower level and the others could become the more distant trophies.

You just joined last month and you are already suggesting changes Rolling Eyes

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 12/31/2011 04:20
  • Post subject:
Rolling Eyes
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/31/2011 06:14
  • Post subject:
Chase wrote:
I don't know I think Level 4 should be enough to make decade charts...and the way it is now might encourage people to rate albums/songs they've never heard (I've seen an increasing number people rating 5/100 on every track on an album by an artist they don't like...where it's obvious they haven't heard the album).

interesting, thanks. I wasn't aware of that. I think something for the roadmap will be an adjustment to the average rating calculation to exclude outliers from the average rating (ratings well outside the norm). These kinds of ratings are now becoming a nuisance for everybody e.g. spitefully low ratings on people's charts, people trolling on album pages etc. I think this might be the point where something definitely needs to change, and perhaps even dock points from people that are persistently doing this. It's ok to occasionally disagree about something, but to rate a zero or five for *everything* is not really in the spirit of the site.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 12/31/2011 06:16
  • Post subject:
weedygonsalez wrote:

Yeah, I think about Level 4 is right, so that, the instant you are given the ability to include 100 albums in your chart, you are also given the ability to create decade charts.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 12/31/2011 06:18
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
weedygonsalez wrote:

You just joined last month and you are already suggesting changes Rolling Eyes

Hey, I joined just 80 days ago, and I didn't even use BEA much for about a week since I joined, so I think it's not a big deal.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/31/2011 06:18
  • Post subject:
weedygonsalez wrote:

things aren't set in stone, but decade charts are set a bit higher, partly because there is an overhead in looking after the data, and also to stop people creating multiple accounts and flooding the site. It's much more difficult to do this if you have to build your account up.
  • Visit poster's website
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 12/31/2011 06:27
  • Post subject:
Yes, bravo to the updates made throughout 2011!

I don't think an app is that critical, I'm able to navigate BEA from my iPod fairly easily. I can't remember if I've ever updated my chart from their or not... but that's not super critical.

Of all the updates that have been suggested, I think the ability to tag an album as a certain genre is the most desirable- it should be given the most precedence. When that does happen, it will be important to narrow down the number of genres possible, otherwise we'll have 1000's of obscure genres. No more than 20 should be allowed, IMO.

And sorry that I've been less active as of late, college applications and such Razz I should start participating more again soon!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
weedygonsalez

• Posted: 12/31/2011 07:27
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
weedygonsalez wrote:

things aren't set in stone, but decade charts are set a bit higher, partly because there is an overhead in looking after the data, and also to stop people creating multiple accounts and flooding the site. It's much more difficult to do this if you have to build your account up.

By no means am I suggesting to make them attainable from the second of creation (and, to be fair, the current level of attainability is fair enough to promote a regular user return rate), but I suppose the suggestion was equal parts a question as to how attainable the other charts would be when they're introduced. It would seem unfair to reserve certain charts for very high levels that essentially require religious dedication, spamming ratings (as Chase brings up), or long term membership on the forums (since adding albums for mod points is rather roundabout and difficult with a completed chart).
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/31/2011 12:54
  • Post subject:
weedygonsalez wrote:
but I suppose the suggestion was equal parts a question as to how attainable the other charts would be when they're introduced. It would seem unfair to reserve certain charts for very high levels that essentially require religious dedication, spamming ratings (as Chase brings up), or long term membership on the forums (since adding albums for mod points is rather roundabout and difficult with a completed chart).

I think other types of chart are a while off yet, but I hear what you are saying...

btw, you don't have to add an album to get mod points, you can also get mod points by submitting edits from the newly added albums page.
  • Visit poster's website