What about a Conformity Index ?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: congruency/conformist index in my chart ?
Yes
29%
 29%  [8]
No
55%
 55%  [15]
No particular opinion
14%
 14%  [4]
Total Votes : 27

cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 12/30/2011 13:53
  • Post subject: What about a Conformity Index ?
a conformity index is an idea that i proposed for the suggestions to the BEA road map for 2012.

the idea was to have a score of "conformity" in the end of the each member's chart.

my original post :

cartoken wrote:
i thought this can be intresting to add in the informations in the bottom of each chart:

Conformist index (or whatever you can call it):

the idea is to see how much a submitted chart by a member looks like the overall chart.
for example, the average ranking album of the overall 100 is 50.5 (1+2+3 .....+100/100). which means the absolute conformist score. then a scale of conformity will be created let say for example:
1. 50.5 -100 conformist level 5
2. 100-150 conformist level 4
3. 150 -200 conformist level 3
.... etc

and then the average rank album will be calculated for each chart, and the the chart will receive its conformist score depending on the scale previously chosen.

what do you think about that ?

Norman Bates, albummaster, Eggman/Walrus/Taxman, are a little bit afraid that this may have an effect on peoples charts just in order to appear less conformist. which i agree. it will have a certain effect but not that important IMO.

RFNAPLES proposed another term: congruency , which sound too much technical ... well, it's may be not for english speakers.

CellarDoor sent me a link in RYM, about a conformity test score, which is very interesting, but the calculation score was different from my idea. the score is determined from the average difference of the albums rating comparing to the averall ratings, and of course the more you're close to 0 , the more your ratings are "conformist". which is another interesting way to do it. but i prefer the average ranking system since this website is more about raking albums.

So what do you think about all this ? would you mind to have that kind of score in the bottom of your chart ? would you like to have it but to be just personal ? would you change you chart to change you conformity index ?

Think
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/30/2011 14:06
  • Post subject:
No, because you'll get charts that are trying too hard to be non conformist and you'll have pissing matches over who can be less conformist.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 12/30/2011 14:06
  • Post subject:
Shouldn't this topic be in the lounge?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 12/30/2011 14:09
  • Post subject:
I've already given my opinion on this, as Cartoken pointed out. I'm against it.
  • Visit poster's website
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 12/30/2011 14:12
  • Post subject:
I don't mind the idea. What ? People are afraid it will affect the charts ?? Rolling Eyes

As stated, the function exists on RYM and I don't think people have changed their ratings to be less conformist...

• Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 12/30/2011 15:13
  • Post subject: Re: What about a Conformity Index ?
cartoken wrote:
a conformity index is an idea that i proposed for the suggestions to the BEA road map for 2012.

the idea was to have a score of "conformity" in the end of the each member's chart.

my original post :

cartoken wrote:
i thought this can be intresting to add in the informations in the bottom of each chart:

Conformist index (or whatever you can call it):

the idea is to see how much a submitted chart by a member looks like the overall chart.
for example, the average ranking album of the overall 100 is 50.5 (1+2+3 .....+100/100). which means the absolute conformist score. then a scale of conformity will be created let say for example:
1. 50.5 -100 conformist level 5
2. 100-150 conformist level 4
3. 150 -200 conformist level 3
.... etc

and then the average rank album will be calculated for each chart, and the the chart will receive its conformist score depending on the scale previously chosen.

what do you think about that ?

Norman Bates, albummaster, Eggman/Walrus/Taxman, are a little bit afraid that this may have an effect on peoples charts just in order to appear less conformist. which i agree. it will have a certain effect but not that important IMO.

RFNAPLES proposed another term: congruency , which sound too much technical ... well, it's may be not for english speakers.

CellarDoor sent me a link in RYM, about a conformity test score, which is very interesting, but the calculation score was different from my idea. the score is determined from the average difference of the albums rating comparing to the averall ratings, and of course the more you're close to 0 , the more your ratings are "conformist". which is another interesting way to do it. but i prefer the average ranking system since this website is more about raking albums.

So what do you think about all this ? would you mind to have that kind of score in the bottom of your chart ? would you like to have it but to be just personal ? would you change you chart to change you conformity index ?

Think

You know, I think we should try something at least very similar.........and if it's at RYM, then maybe we could have it here too. I don't know, it will take some time to make up my mind about this.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 12/30/2011 17:05
  • Post subject:
I'd vote against it. I really don't see any benefits.

and this site ain't RYM - one of the many things I love about BEA Wink
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 12/30/2011 17:18
  • Post subject:
when i thought about it, i didn't knew that this existed in RYM, and actually, it's not that easy to find on RYM, it's a member who tried this feature in a forum, i believe most of the RYM members don't know that this conformity thing even exist. thanks to CellarDoor i found it.

Never thought that so much people will be against this option, are they afraid of other people changing their chart just for the sake of a different conformity score or by the the fact they they will themself be tempted to change their chart Think
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 12/30/2011 19:41
  • Post subject:
The thing is, I think it's pretty easy to tell how much someone is "conforming" to the overall chart just by looking at their albums. I don't think a chart to give the precise facts and figures is necessary.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
Sean

United States

• Posted: 12/30/2011 22:12
  • Post subject:
I think this is a great idea

http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=3385
  • Visit poster's website