Those new bands today eh?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 01/08/2012 06:59
  • Post subject: Those new bands today eh?
As I was driving out to get some early dinner (whilst packing for the big move to the country tomorrow [no internet for a while]), I heard that "instant-classic" band Foster The People. Now, I can see they have some talent and their songs ain't all bad but I probably won't go out to buy their album, see them at a concert or suggest others listen to them.

In saying this as a brief example, there are many new bands that get the attention of the general populis but then don't seem all too appealing to me. Another that springs to mind is Mumford and Sons (described in a 2010 year review as "The New Proclaimers.") I missed the boat on them 18 months back but many people I speak to love them and think they are amazing.

Needed to rant but thought others might have examples of new 2000 to now bands that they just don't get the appeal.
  • Visit poster's website
jbarajas

United States

• Posted: 01/08/2012 07:05
  • Post subject:
OOOOOHHHHHHHH we have ALOT of ARTISTS here in the US that fall into that category! sorry but anything that gets radio play and is either pop/hip hop/rap can be thrown into this category!!!
and if you wanna talk about bands i have a couple

RAGE Against
CAGE The Elephant
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/08/2012 14:51
  • Post subject:
Vampire Weekend, The Black keys, Mumford & Sons, Foster The People, etc...

All good bands (mostly the first), that happen to get radioplay Razz

I'm slightly confused on what this topic is about though, so excuse me if that wasn't what you were asking Think
ShaneSpear
Thread Killah

United States

• Posted: 01/08/2012 17:28
  • Post subject:
jbarajas wrote:
OOOOOHHHHHHHH we have ALOT of ARTISTS here in the US that fall into that category! sorry but anything that gets radio play and is either pop/hip hop/rap can be thrown into this category!!!
and if you wanna talk about bands i have a couple

RAGE Against
CAGE The Elephant

Do you mean RAGE Against the Machine or RISE Against?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 01/08/2012 17:55
  • Post subject:
I would have to agree that Mumford and Sons and Foster the People are the two most baffling pieces of shit I have come across in recent memory. The former has zero appeal to me (and I've heard the whole album, to my chagrin) and the latter, though I've only heard their single, seems like an obvious, fragile shell of '90s indie rock to me. However, both have managed to get the attention of several of my friends, some of who listen largely to metal, others to hip-hop, others to dancehall shit, etc... wtf is going on.

And I've suggested similar stuff to them (following are actual conversations) e.g. "you like Mumford and Sons? you should check out the Pogues and Violent Femmes, I think you would like them a lot." "oh, I know that 'Blister in the Sun' song [most of them think the melody of 'Gone Daddy Gone' is originally Gnarls Barkley stuff], but thanks." e.g. "You like 'All the Other Kids,' here, check out 'Gold Sounds'" "meh, it's alright, not as catchy though" WTF IS GOING ON
Kiki

• Posted: 01/08/2012 18:01
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:
I would have to agree that Mumford and Sons and Foster the People are the two most baffling pieces of shit I have come across in recent memory. The former has zero appeal to me (and I've heard the whole album, to my chagrin) and the latter, though I've only heard their single, seems like an obvious, fragile shell of '90s indie rock to me. However, both have managed to get the attention of several of my friends, some of who listen largely to metal, others to hip-hop, others to dancehall shit, etc... wtf is going on.

And I've suggested similar stuff to them (following are actual conversations) e.g. "you like Mumford and Sons? you should check out the Pogues and Violent Femmes, I think you would like them a lot." "oh, I know that 'Blister in the Sun' song [most of them think the melody of 'Gone Daddy Gone' is originally Gnarls Barkley stuff], but thanks." e.g. "You like 'All the Other Kids,' here, check out 'Gold Sounds'" "meh, it's alright, not as catchy though" WTF IS GOING ON

Maybe they are considered "Safe" artists by the many? If the others artists were considered "Safe" maybe the many would throw words like "catchy" around them?
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 01/08/2012 18:20
  • Post subject:
Foster the people have made a solid pop rock album.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 01/09/2012 01:02
  • Post subject:
I like Mumford & Sons Very Happy

I don't really get the appeal of Cut Copy, LCD Soundsystem, The Strokes, Coldplay, The Killers, Wilco, Muse, Interpol. To name a few. Yikes. That about sums up the top 50 for the 2000s on this site Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 01/09/2012 01:11
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
I like Mumford & Sons Very Happy

I don't really get the appeal of Cut Copy, LCD Soundsystem, The Strokes, Coldplay, The Killers, Wilco, Muse, Interpol. To name a few. Yikes. That about sums up the top 50 for the 2000s on this site Laughing

Don't lump Wilco in with the rest of those bands please

Wilco >>>>>>> LCD, Cut Copy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Strokes, The Killers , Muse, Interpol
TheAstralPlane

• Posted: 01/09/2012 02:30
  • Post subject:
Fleet Foxes
M.I.A
Kanye West
Adele
All of Dubstep
Cage the Elephant
many others
  • Visit poster's website