Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/19/2012 01:53
  • Post subject: Music we wrote
Hi Folks,

I have been on this not a long time, but have come to respect the people on this site and their opinions. I am at a stage in my life where I miss writing music, but at the same time wonder if it worth my time anymore. Am I any good at it. Should I sell all my expensive music equipment, and just settle for a nice acoustic- and become a music junky who rates albums with my spare time or is any of this stuff worth putting more effort into, or is it just meh. Please be honest. At the same time keep in mind that everything was recorded in a very crappy way, except for Filament. There are currently no singing tracks. We have some more stuff, but this is what we have for now.

I am not asking you if I should keep this as a hobby or not. I guess that will never really go away, just curious if it is worth anything to you, or if you heard this would you stop to listen to it, or do you feel like it is a waste of your time? Filament would be the first track to listen to since it is actually recorded right. Also if you have a good pair of headphones, that would be best to hear some of the intricacies.

http://soundcloud.com/user8442533/sets/...have-faces

Just for fun, this is some stuff from my teenage years:
http://soundcloud.com/user8442533/sets/...eth-jordan
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 01/19/2012 02:19
  • Post subject:

Actually I can relate quite a bit 2 how you are feeling right now sethmadsen.

IMO it may help knowing at least about how old you are.

Filament was recorded well, did you do the final mix?

What instruments do you play?

Do you use strictly rhythm guitar or do you sometimes use lead or do solos?

Do you write lyrics?

Do you sing?

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 01/19/2012 03:15
  • Post subject:
I think that creative hobbies are always nice to have. The way I think of it, you could either spend your free time mindlessly watching TV or playing videogames, or you can do something like this.

Even if you still end up sounding like crap as a hobby, there's still something so magical about having your own album.

Also, I wouldn't mind downloading some of your music. Do you know where I'd be able to do that?
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 01/19/2012 05:02
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:

Actually I can relate quite a bit 2 how you are feeling right now sethmadsen.

IMO it may help knowing at least about how old you are - 27. That is a small concern for me- look at Sting or Elbow or a lot of artists that kinda start late- but I don't care to "make it big" but wouldn't mind working in the music industry some how.

Filament was recorded well, did you do the final mix? No it was done at a cheap recording studio. Time is always an issue Sad.

What instruments do you play? I play Bass- upright and electric mostly, but I also play guitar, drums, and baritone guitar.

Do you use strictly rhythm guitar or do you sometimes use lead or do solos? My friend Eric who plays the lead on these records likes melodies over the rhythm, and not big solos, although we used to play together with Nate Balwin (a solo artist from around here) and did solos for him. His music was a bit too pop like for our taste so we did this stuff.

Do you write lyrics? Not really- I would rather find a lead singer who could be the front man/lyricist, etc. Which we were working out to do through craigslist, but like I said earlier, life got in the way.

Do you sing? Not while I play. I have thought about becoming a front man just to push myself into something new, but I also think it is good to know what you are good at Smile.

I have set a goal to finish up two of my own songs right now- all parts, including singing, playing, lyrics and the whole bit, but am maybe lacking the motivation. That's kinda what started this thread.

What's your story?

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 01/19/2012 05:14; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 01/19/2012 05:06
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
I think that creative hobbies are always nice to have. The way I think of it, you could either spend your free time mindlessly watching TV or playing videogames, or you can do something like this.

Even if you still end up sounding like crap as a hobby, there's still something so magical about having your own album.

Also, I wouldn't mind downloading some of your music. Do you know where I'd be able to do that?

Like I said, I will probably always have an acoustic guitar/bass to play around with as a hobby- but I am trying to see if I should put more efforts into music, or sell over $2000 in equipment that at periods of my life just sits there and at other parts gets busy.

I would love to finish a project that I could call an album. I probably have written over 20 songs, but never completed any of them- they are all about as complete as these recordings.

I changed the settings on my soundcloud account so that you can download it from there- just click the arrow pointing down to the right of the track.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 01/19/2012 05:09
  • Post subject:
Thanks for taking the time to listen and reply Smile
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 01/19/2012 07:19
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to listen and reply Smile

You are only 27 Shocked

Man, you have your whole life ahead of you still.

My advice is 2 go for it sethmadsen, then at least you know that you gave it a shot.

If not, I believe you may spend a good deal of your life, down the road, regretting not doing so. But then of course, it will be kind of late.

You say that "life got in the way"

I say, life is what happens when your making plans.

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Chemical Smile

Guatemala

• Posted: 01/19/2012 11:37
  • Post subject:
I say got for it! Especially if you have fun doing it. I admire anyone who has the talent and perseverance to make their own music. One of the best times of my life was when I was 20/21 and playing drums in a band. We were never going to go anywhere, but the thrill of making our own music in a large practise room was enough. I started learning guitar last year after buying a decent acoustic for my 35th birthday, now as much as I wish I had picked up a guitar when I was younger, I look forward everyday to the hour or so each evening I have free to play, and enjoy just making up little instrumental pieces. Luckily nowadays all you need is a laptop and a copy of Garageband or something and you can put together a pretty decent sounding demo. In the '90's we struggled with a crappy 4-track tape recorder, having to mix everything live. I've still got a copy and the sound quality is rubbish - i often wonder how much better it'd sound if we had some like Garageband.. Think .
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States

• Posted: 01/19/2012 12:00
  • Post subject:
I definitely enjoyed that. Way way better than a lot of the original music you'll find bouncing around the internet. Keep it up, especially if you enjoy doing it.
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 01/19/2012 17:03
  • Post subject:
It's hard to judge from these since apart from Filament (which is very nice) they don't sound like fully fleshed songs. Regardless it matters more what you think than what anyone else thinks. In a similar vein to what other people have said on this thread: if there's no reason not to and you are passionate about it ($2000 in equipment points to a yes) then why the fuck not?