Average Song Rating for Album

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Xavygravy

• Posted: 01/28/2012 22:05
  • Post subject: Average Song Rating for Album
I think it would be cool to be able to see the average rating of all the tracks you rated on the album at the bottom of the tracks.
e.g. I rate the tracks: 70, 80, 90, 100, 100, 30.
At the bottom it would show: Your Average Song Rating: 78.3
It could also show: Users' Average Song Rating: 74.6

This could help with us rating the albums, and give us another way to see if an album is worth listening to.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/29/2012 08:41
  • Post subject:
yes, the average rating of the songs on an album is something on the list and it would be an extra indicator (and could also add the individual track average as well like you suggested).

As a side note, I had an interesting PM recently from someone who suggested there is a missing X factor between the average rating of the songs on an album and the rating for the whole album. It was put forward that some albums are rated more highly than the average rating of the tracks would otherwise suggest e.g. Sgt. Peppers was an example given. It might be interesting to see this more clearly.
  • Visit poster's website
Jabapac

Bahrain

• Posted: 01/29/2012 11:24
  • Post subject:
Quote:
As a side note, I had an interesting PM recently from someone who suggested there is a missing X factor between the average rating of the songs on an album and the rating for the whole album. It was put forward that some albums are rated more highly than the average rating of the tracks would otherwise suggest e.g. Sgt. Peppers was an example given. It might be interesting to see this more clearly.

First piont, it could be just a matter of time for many albums due the fact that songs got a low number of ratings until now, which makes it not necessarily looks accurate. 'few opinions (ratings here) do not value something accurately in usual.

Second point, we shouldn't encourage that kind of relation between albums and their songs, because it's simply doesn't work like that.

Last edited by Jabapac on 01/29/2012 11:37; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 01/29/2012 11:30
  • Post subject:
Jabapac wrote:
Quote:

First piont, it could be just a matter of time for many albums due the fact that songs got low number of ratings until now, which makes it not necessarily looks accurate.

Second point, we shouldn't encourage that kind of relation between albums and their songs, because it's simply doesn't work like that.

It's a good guideline; I'd personally use it as a base rating which I'd add or subtract from.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/29/2012 15:48
  • Post subject:
Jabapac wrote:
Quote:

First piont, it could be just a matter of time for many albums due the fact that songs got a low number of ratings until now, which makes it not necessarily looks accurate. 'few opinions (ratings here) do not value something accurately in usual.

I don't think it would detract from anything else, it would just be a secondary metric that might appear near the track-listing and wouldn't affect the rating for the album (a few people have asked for it already, and it's been on my list for a while). I agree, it shouldn't be the only criteria for judging an album.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 01/29/2012 16:04
  • Post subject:
If the ratings of tracks affects the rating of the album, would we expect all the Greatest Hits albums to be the highest rated for each artist?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 01/29/2012 16:12
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
If the ratings of tracks affects the rating of the album, would we expect all the Greatest Hits albums to be the highest rated for each artist?

No. Because for most people the biggest "hits" by a band doesn't equal best "songs" by the band
  • Visit poster's website
Jabapac

Bahrain

• Posted: 01/29/2012 19:50
  • Post subject:
Quote:
No. Because for most people the biggest "hits" by a band doesn't equal best "songs" by the band

Not all of them are "greatest hits", some are "the best of" subject. specially those come out from great bands, and many of them don't make Hits already. so they could top the list.

Last edited by Jabapac on 01/29/2012 20:23; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 01/29/2012 20:22
  • Post subject:
Did any of you read this?

albummaster wrote:
I don't think it would detract from anything else, it would just be a secondary metric that might appear near the track-listing and wouldn't affect the rating for the album (a few people have asked for it already, and it's been on my list for a while). I agree, it shouldn't be the only criteria for judging an album.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 01/30/2012 10:27
  • Post subject:
Xavygravy wrote:
Did any of you read this?

albummaster wrote:

Haha, I was gonna post that......... Applause for The Great Xave for doing it before me!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website