A Rivers Cuomo Lyric Question

View previous topic :: View next topic
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 01/29/2012 13:19
  • Post subject: A Rivers Cuomo Lyric Question
I was just listening to the Blue album (Great album!) I've always thought Rivers Cuomo was a pretty clever lyricist on the early Weezer albums, at least. Anyways, do you think he always wrote from an autobiographical perspective, or did he create characters? The reason I ask is, the narrator in No One Else is quite a possessive asshole and seems to be vaguely psychotic and abusive toward his girlfriend, or at the very least, incredibly insecure. Do you think he was writing from a character's perspective or his own? I know the lyrics on Pinkerton are supposed to be mostly autobiographical, but what about the blue album?

Purely as an aside, here's an example of a great Cuomo lyric:

"I just made love to your sweet memory / 1000 times in my head"
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 01/29/2012 14:14
  • Post subject:
In this case, it's just characters.

From Weezerpedia:
Quote:
lead singer Rivers Cuomo has suggested that "The World Has Turned and Left Me Here" may be related to the song that precedes it on "The Blue Album," "No One Else." Cuomo stated that "No One Else" is about "the jealous-obsessive asshole in me freaking out on my girlfriend," while "'The World Has Turned and Left Me Here' is the same asshole wondering why she's gone." This is likely mere coincidence, given that "No One Else" was written several months or possibly over a year after "The World Has Turned And Left Me Here

If you want autobiographical, listen to Pinkerton, the single greatest album ever made Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 01/29/2012 20:43
  • Post subject:
It's obviously based on his experiences, but some of it may have been made up in his head to enhance the song.
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 01/30/2012 00:37
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:

From Weezerpedia:
Quote:
lead singer Rivers Cuomo has suggested that "The World Has Turned and Left Me Here" may be related to the song that precedes it on "The Blue Album," "No One Else." Cuomo stated that "No One Else" is about "the jealous-obsessive asshole in me freaking out on my girlfriend," while "'The World Has Turned and Left Me Here' is the same asshole wondering why she's gone." This is likely mere coincidence, given that "No One Else" was written several months or possibly over a year after "The World Has Turned And Left Me Here

If you want autobiographical, listen to Pinkerton, the single greatest album ever made Laughing

It's interesting. He comes across as quite the romantic on Pinkerton, but the songs on the blue album have more elements of cynicism and sort of an ironic slacker cheekiness to them. That album really captured the zeitgeist of Generation X at the time.
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 01/30/2012 00:57
  • Post subject:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Applerill wrote:

From Weezerpedia:
Quote:

If you want autobiographical, listen to Pinkerton, the single greatest album ever made :lol:

It's interesting. He comes across as quite the romantic on Pinkerton, but the songs on the blue album have more elements of cynicism and sort of an ironic slacker cheekiness to them. That album really captured the zeitgeist of Generation X at the time.

I dunno, if you read up on Rivers Cuomo or ever read his thoughts, it seems kinda like he might have Asperger's mixed with bi-polar disorder.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
Happy

United States

• Posted: 01/30/2012 00:59
  • Post subject:
A lot of his songs are definitely autobiographical. I remember reading somewhere that "Buddy Holly" talks about his relationship with one of his girlfriends and how some people made fun of it "What's with these homies, dissing my girl? / Why do they gotta front?". The girl was also Asian. "Your tongue is twisted, your eyes are slit". "In the Garage" talks about him being a D&D fan and how he listened to Kiss. "My Name Is Jonas" is about his younger brother's car accident. "Say It Ain't So" is about his dad being an alcoholic.
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 01/30/2012 01:01
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Applerill wrote:

From Weezerpedia:
Quote:

I dunno, if you read up on Rivers Cuomo or ever read his thoughts, it seems kinda like he might have Asperger's mixed with bi-polar disorder.

I'm not a big enough fan to do that. I know there is a community of big Weezer fans on here though, so I thought it would be a good place to ask about what you guys thought about the song, No One Else.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 01/30/2012 02:59
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Applerill wrote:

From Weezerpedia:
Quote:

Lawl, I have Autism. I guess that's why I obsess over Pinkerton Razz
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 01/30/2012 03:06
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Jackwc wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Applerill wrote:

From Weezerpedia:
Quote:

If you want autobiographical, listen to Pinkerton, the single greatest album ever made :lol:

Lawl, I have Autism. I guess that's why I obsess over Pinkerton :P

Well, despite my general distaste for Weezer, their earlier stuff especially Pinkerton was... wait, what?

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website