• Post subject: besteversingles
well I think you got my point.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 10/10/2008 07:46
  • Post subject:
Yes, we had thought of that, but I think instead we might do some more with the tracks listed on this site. It follows that some of the best songs ever written must appear on the best albums...

In a future site update, we're going to do some things to enable users to highlight the best tracks on each album and then aggregate this information so that the best tracks are highlighted.

EDIT: this has now been implemented
  • Visit poster's website
dbone828

Canada

• Posted: 12/08/2009 06:48
  • Post subject:
I think it would be great to add a feature where we can rank our top 50 songs. As nice of a feature as it is to rate "highlights" from albums, the Top 100 highest-rated song chart is a bit ridiculous, as it seems to be mostly just a list of 20 popular albums, and the 5 best songs from those albums. I think users should be able to search for great songs from maybe not-as-amazing albums (the Beatles' "Let It Be," the Beach Boys' "Good Vibrations").

I think this could give BestEverAlbums a huge edge over RateYourMusic, as that site requires a single release for a song to be rated.

It's a lot easier to compile a list of your top 50 songs than to have to find out which album it was from, look it up, then rate it. This could explain the fact that there are very few songs with at least 10 ratings. Sad
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/10/2009 12:23
  • Post subject:
I hear what you are saying about the track ratings and I think you are right. We need to make tracks more visible on the site so that more ratings can be given and then the chart might be a bit more useful. One issue with all of the ratings charts on this site is that people tend to view the top-rated chart and if they spot an album/band/track that they don't like in the top spot, they immediately provide their own really low rating to stop this album/band/track from being number one and big-up their own favourite. The cycle continues and eventually you have a chart with lesser known albums/bands/tracks being at the top simply because previous leaders have been rated down. The problem is more the algorithm which needs to be tweaked to stop people trying to game the system.

We could certainly look at adding top songs (and perhaps even books, movies etc) in the future, but at the moment we are trying to complete the platform on the main site before we branch off into new areas.
  • Visit poster's website