Sacred New Music

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 07/08/2013 21:03
  • Post subject: Sacred New Music
Do you think it is important to be a big fan of new releases in order to be a big fan of music? Think Like... you can listen to music from the past but you can't listen to music which is recorded in the future. This means new releases have a certain allure as in "Hey, no one but the artists and a few others have heard this before!"

Are you a happy fanatic of the cult of new releases?
Happymeal

• Posted: 07/08/2013 21:19
  • Post subject:
Not quite sure what's the topic/question here, but I enjoy new music as much as possible. I'm able to more or less fill my 2013 year chart than most any other chart.
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 07/08/2013 21:27
  • Post subject:
I think he means the magic of listening to an album as soon as possible after its released. If thats the case I think the internet age has taken away from this (if it ever existed in the first place) because of leaking/torrenting. People can listen to an album days or weeks before its officially released now. For me, if im really excited about a bands new release ill typically try and get it on the first day but it wouldnt be the end of the world if that for some reason wasnt possible
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 07/08/2013 21:49
  • Post subject:
the internet has taken away from the thrill of running to the music store when they open on "new music tuesday", a weekly event that could be shared with other rabid music listening friends.

Regardless, i still love to try on new music, new sounds.
  • Visit poster's website
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 07/08/2013 21:55
  • Post subject:
I ain't ever been about that buying music life, but I don't know how I could get more excited to listen to albums for the first time then I already do. If anything the internet has aided in the experience, as you can have more first time listening experiences. I get mad excited for loads of releases, and the excitement of finding out something has leaked adds to it, you're not expecting it and then, BAM, album is out and you drop everything to look for a link. I get mad excited for that, and the first listen is the same apart from putting the vinyl/cd/cassette into the player.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 07/08/2013 22:03
  • Post subject:
DLGGLD wrote:
I ain't ever been about that buying music life, but I don't know how I could get more excited to listen to albums for the first time then I already do. If anything the internet has aided in the experience, as you can have more first time listening experiences. I get mad excited for loads of releases, and the excitement of finding out something has leaked adds to it, you're not expecting it and then, BAM, album is out and you drop everything to look for a link. I get mad excited for that, and the first listen is the same apart from putting the vinyl/cd/cassette into the player.

Interesting. Do other people who use illegal downloads feel this excitement? I had wondered in the past that such doing such a thing would make one more apathetic towards new music as it becomes as easy to get to them as tap water. It sounds like you are very excited towards it.
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 07/08/2013 22:05
  • Post subject:
If I've never listened to something, then it's new for me, whether it was released fifty years or two hours ago. I'm not more excited about 2013 than I am about 1996 or 1974. There is as much great music now than there was before, and I don't see why I should be stuck inside any particular year, present or past. It's even truer considering the infinite amount of past music I've never listened to and which is therefore new to me.
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 07/08/2013 22:07
  • Post subject:
I relish new music. It both acts as a possible conversation point among people and it mines the past, thus allowing you to explore the past more proficiently. A most recent example includes Rhye's Woman, which I consider one of my top five releases of the year thus far; Rhye has been compared to Sade, which I previously disregarded, but now that I've made that connection (thanks in part to lethal), I'm listening to Sade too and loving it. New music, to me, isn't so much about being cool and 'with it' but rather finding something you like and finding the music they draw from which you may also really enjoy.
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 07/08/2013 22:59
  • Post subject:
DLGGLD wrote:

This is very much the same for me.

For a CD/vinyl/cassette, it's the anticipation of going to the store and then coming home and finally listening.

For electronic music (legal or illegal), it's going to the website, downloading, waiting and cursing the lack of peers, and then finally listening.

The internet has been big in helping me decide what to listen to, so in a way it spoils the surprise that happens when going to the record store and picking up something for no other reason than "it looks interesting".

All things said, I get excited over new music. Not new music in general, but new music that I've been anticipating.
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 07/08/2013 23:06
  • Post subject:
paladisiac wrote:
the internet has taken away from the thrill of running to the music store when they open on "new music tuesday", a weekly event that could be shared with other rabid music listening friends.

I miss that... Times change. Neutral