Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 02/08/2012 17:38
  • Post subject:
Eggman/Walrus/Taxman wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
Pablo Honey is the most disappointing. It's hard to believe they wrote some of that stuff.

I love Boy (U2), but the first time I heard it I was thinking to myself that it sucked baaaaad. Now I understand that unpolished 80s post punk is what it is - not crap. And it's actually really good unpolished 80s post punk. It's kinda like listing to Bleach the first time... if you don't get Nirvana, you would probably think that sucks too.

I would also agree that Please Please Me is a pretty awesome album of the time. I don't think there is a pop album around that time that had any consistency and were mostly just crap songs with a single or two on it that made you buy it. With Please Please Me you get almost a consistent album, and some really great tunes.
I would also agree that starting with Revolver, the Beatles mastered the album. Before the music was still amazing and each song was amazing, but it didn't have that album feel.

Rolling Stones did suck horribly- they didn't get it right until, what 12x5?

Red Hot Chili Peppers Freaky Styley - just like Pablo Honey, it has some great stuff and some horrible stuff.

I love The Rolling Stones and Boy.

As do I Very Happy

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
thejoj96

• Posted: 08/13/2012 16:19
  • Post subject:
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 08/13/2012 17:03
  • Post subject:

Not their worst,certainly not their best.

I like it,but general opinion says it's their worst.

Meh

I like it,nowhere near 'Nevermind' or 'In Utero'
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 08/13/2012 20:38
  • Post subject:
That looks nothing like a Primal Scream cover despite having the name on it! Shocked
ZebraRock

• Posted: 08/13/2012 21:49
  • Post subject:
Whoever said the Kinks and Stones, no way! The Kinks is actually a great album, well, at least, it had You Really Got Me and All Day and All of the Night on it.

And for the record Englands Newest Hitmakers is actually one of my favs. Much better than the Rolling Stones Now, or 12x5.

Agree with Pablo Honey, Leisure, and Boy being up there for bad debuts.

I would also add Definitely Maybe and Can't Buy a Thrill to that list but I know I'm in the minority there.

Oasis were so derivative and boring on their debut, I can't understand the heaps of praise they got for it, while Steely Dans Pretzel Logic, Aja, Royal Scam, and Katy Lied are all leagues better than their avereage-ish debut.
  • Visit poster's website
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 08/13/2012 22:01
  • Post subject:
ZebraRock wrote:
Whoever said the Kinks and Stones, no way! The Kinks is actually a great album, well, at least, it had You Really Got Me and All Day and All of the Night on it.

I agree that "The Kinks" is a good album, I don't agree that "All Day and All of the Night" was a part of the album however.

ZebraRock wrote:
Oasis were so derivative and boring on their debut, I can't understand the heaps of praise they got for it, while Steely Dans Pretzel Logic, Aja, Royal Scam, and Katy Lied are all leagues better than their avereage-ish debut.

I didn't understand the praise of "Definitely Maybe" at first either, but after a couple of months I realized that every song was catchy, it was pure rock'n roll and the highlight of Liam's voice in the whole career of Oasis.
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 08/14/2012 00:57
  • Post subject:
ZebraRock wrote:

And for the record Englands Newest Hitmakers is actually one of my favs. Much better than the Rolling Stones Now, or 12x5.

Agree with Pablo Honey, Leisure, and Boy being up there for bad debuts.

I would also add Definitely Maybe and Can't Buy a Thrill to that list but I know I'm in the minority there.

I brought up The Kinks. Here's the thing: I'm not putting The Kinks down as a band. If you read the first part of the thread closely, this is about great artists who started off not so good. The Kinks are in that category. In my opinion, they weren't as good at R&B covers as The Animals, The Yardbirds, The Rolling Stones, and The Who. Here is the track listing for their first album:

Side1

"Beautiful Delilah" (Chuck Berry) – 2:07
"So Mystifying" – 2:53
"Just Can't Go to Sleep" – 1:58
"Long Tall Shorty" (Herb Abramson, Don Covay) – 2:50
"I Took My Baby Home" – 1:48
"I'm a Lover Not a Fighter" (J. D. "Jay" Miller) – 2:03
"You Really Got Me" – 2:13

Side 2

"Cadillac" (Bo Diddley) – 2:44
"Bald Headed Woman" (Shel Talmy) – 2:41
"Revenge" (Ray Davies, Larry Page) – 1:29
"Too Much Monkey Business" (Berry) – 2:16
"I've Been Driving On Bald Mountain" (Talmy) – 2:01
"Stop Your Sobbing" – 2:06
"Got Love If You Want It" (James Moore) – 3:46

There are only three originals and arguably, two classic songs. Does that make a great album? What R&B covers did the Kinks do better than some of their contemporaries?

I might take back the Rolling Stones though, but they also had very few original compositions on their debut, but they were better at doing R&B covers. This wasn't the Kinks' forte. I've heard a bunch of these songs and I stand by that statement.

Boy is a great debut. It's so full of youthful energy and raw talent. I stand by that album. Shame on you And Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory are pretty much Oasis's peak. I don't think you can argue that Oasis developed greatly after their debut. That's what this thread is about. If you think Oasis always sucked, then there's no point in even mentioning them here. To be fair though, the title of the thread could have been worded more accurately; it's always good to check the opening post though.
  • Visit poster's website
ZebraRock

• Posted: 08/14/2012 01:32
  • Post subject:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
I brought up The Kinks. Here's the thing: I'm not putting The Kinks down as a band. If you read the first part of the thread closely, this is about great artists who started off not so good. The Kinks are in that category. In my opinion, they weren't as good at R&B covers as The Animals, The Yardbirds, The Rolling Stones, and the Who.

There are only three originals and arguably, two classic songs...

Boy is a great debut. It's so full of youthful energy and raw talent. I stand by that album. Shame on you And Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory are pretty much Oasis's peak. I don't think you can argue that Oasis developed greatly after their debut. That's what this thread is about. If you think Oasis always sucked, then there's no point in even mentioning them here. To be fair though, the title of the thread could have been worded more accurately; it's always good to check the opening post though.

Thanks, I actually did read the opening statement. No need to sound so patronising! I don't think Oasis always sucked, I think What's the Story is a great album, Heathen Chemistry is a slightly better album, and Dig Out Your Soul is awesome. I happen to be bored by almost all of Definetely Maybe though. As I said though, I know I'm in the minority there.

I always kind of liked the early kinks, when they were a raw mod band, but I suppose other albums/singles did display that better than their debut, so I'm willing to give you that.
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 08/14/2012 02:42
  • Post subject:
ZebraRock wrote:
Thanks, I actually did read the opening statement. No need to sound so patronising!

Embarassed Sorry. I wasn't trying to sound patronizing. I tend to take a debater's approach when I have a strong opinion about something; maybe the tone comes off as patronizing to some people, but it's not my intention. I'm just trying to make my case... strongly. Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
Big A2

Australia

• Posted: 08/14/2012 08:12
  • Post subject:
DLGGLD wrote:

Meh

Wow. I didn't think it was possible for anyone to like VU&N less than Loaded.

As a debut album, The Velvet Underground & Nico is one of the most ambitious efforts ever.
  • Visit poster's website