Meeting Famous Musicians and Musical Heroes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Ozzy0

• Posted: 02/07/2012 11:15
  • Post subject:
we don't have famous people in Belgium damnit!!!!

but I talked to the bandmembers of The Subways once Smile
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 02/07/2012 12:44
  • Post subject:
Totally met Gotye at the op-shop he buys his vinyls at. Was pulling out the most quirky novelty records he could find, laughing to himself. Had a short chat but I wish I'd been a bit more inquisitive. Lovely guy though.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2012 13:06
  • Post subject:
Dennis Deyoung lives in my neighborhood. Every now and then I even see him at the grocery store :0

...Man, sometime I've got to give him a Charlie N. George CD to see what he thinks Razz
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2012 14:01
  • Post subject:
My wife is good friends with Marc Ford, so there were a few encounters with The Black Crowes in 2005-06, as well as Marc's solo shows in Denver.

Used to be friends with Alvin Youngblood Hart. Never talk to him any more, though.

Got to hang with North Mississippi Allstars backstage at Red Rocks a couple of years ago. Very cool guys.

Used to sit in at local solo acoustic gigs with Duncan Fuare (Bay City Rollers).

In 2001, I had my album mastered by Bob Ludwig, whose name is all over albums by everyone from Bruce Springsteen to Madonna to Metallica to ZZ Top. One of the top mastering engineers in the world.

While at Ludwig's studio, had lunch with Jonatha Brooke.

Roamed around at a show backstage in Anaheim, CA and gave copies of my album to Doug Feiger (The Knack) and Dale Bozzio (Missing Persons).

At 16, I was working at a truck stop in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming. Got to meet all of the members of Heart as they got off their tour bus.

Best for last...at the Hollywood House Of Blues during the Big Star reunion tour years ago, the band played two encores and ran out of songs to play. The guitar player started playing "All Right Now" by Free. Alex Chilton said, "Fuck. I don't know this song. Anybody know this song?". I was right in front of him, raised my hand, and was onstage singing a Free song with Big Star before I knew what hit me.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2012 14:16
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:

Best for last...at the Hollywood House Of Blues during the Big Star reunion tour years ago, the band played two encores and ran out of songs to play. The guitar player started playing "All Right Now" by Free. Alex Chilton said, "Fuck. I don't know this song. Anybody know this song?". I was right in front of him, raised my hand, and was onstage singing a Free song with Big Star before I knew what hit me.

Wow! That is cool! When was this?
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2012 14:41
  • Post subject:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Romanelli wrote:

Wow! That is cool! When was this?

That was in 1994. It was Chilton, Jody Stephens, and the two guys from The Posies. It was a great show, too.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 02/07/2012 17:14
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Dennis Deyoung lives in my neighborhood. Every now and then I even see him at the grocery store :0

...Man, sometime I've got to give him a Charlie N. George CD to see what he thinks Razz

I've never met him. Seen him in concert but that is all. Seems like a good guy Think

Dennis DeYoung Talks About Getting Older - April 22nd, 2010.

Link

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Error Finn

Finland

• Posted: 02/07/2012 20:58
  • Post subject:
I met Herbie Hancock Pori Jazz Festival in July 1994. He had played earlier in the evening outdoor concert, which consisted of his funk/rock in repertoire. The same night I went to the Hotel Jazz called the night club, which played such a Norwegian guitarist Terje Rypdahl (versions of Beatles' song She's Leaving Home). I went to at some point nights in the hotel lobby and the chance to sit next to Mr. Hancock. He was very open and a youthful (54 years then). I had bought during the day from the street festival live album, Miles Davis 'Miles in Berlin (1964). The record was my night with. I showed the disc Herbie, and he said: Hey, I'm here with!. I don´t know then that Hancock had been part of Davis' 60´s composition. He wrote to board members of the band names. Cool

• Posted: 02/07/2012 21:07
  • Post subject:
I met the entire lineup of Dream Theater (the one from the Scenes from a Memory through Black Clouds and Silver Linings era) in 2009. I got a guitar pick signed by John Petrucci and I got my picture taken with the full band (I was standing between Petrucci and Mike Portnoy). Unfortunately, somehow the system got fucked up and the picture never got sent to us, but it was a cool experience nonetheless.
Captain_Dude

United States

• Posted: 02/08/2012 00:16
  • Post subject:
One of the coolest experiences I ever had was back in high school. My school had just added a brand new auditorium and my band director, somehow, got Maynard Ferguson to perform at the openening of it.

But, what the really big treat was that Maynard Ferguson sat in on our sectional practice session that day!!!

Most of the kids didn't even know who he was. I think he rather liked the anonymity among a group of high school students. It wasn't until later that we all realized what a true treat it was to have him there as just another brass instrument player...one of the group. He wasn't at all a "show off" or a "know-it-all"...in fact, he was just the opposite. He was a real gentleman and very friendly.