15%  [6]
Very very boring
52%
 52%  [20]
Total Votes : 38

Holdenandthejets

• Posted: 07/15/2014 07:02
  • Post subject:
The fact that certain genres are under appreciated on BEA is evidence in of itself that age plays a role in what albums get ranked respectably on the charts. 70s pop/rock is a good example, it plays an extremely underwhelming role in the rankings, however alternative litters the top 100. Alternative/indie are more appreciated by younger people, at least today's younger people, because of hipster culture. And you're confusing what I mean by Hipster with wanna-be hipsters….big difference. Anyways, I'm 16, I constantly observe kids around me act on biases against and towards certain genres and eras. It's prevalent, at least it is here in the south.

Also, I appreciate your devotion (that's a lot of age checking, goodness! Shocked ) but you limited yourself to just Pet Sounds and OK, what I'm asserting stretches far beyond those two albums and even those two bands.
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 07/15/2014 07:03
  • Post subject:
Holdenandthejets wrote:
70s pop/rock is a good example, it plays an extremely underwhelming role in the rankings, however alternative litters the top 100.

Are you in a parallel universe?
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 07/15/2014 07:06
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
Please Holden, disregard the above post. The community's not hostile to your presence at all, this guy is just a troll who comes every so often. Don't take his opinion into account, it's total shit.

I'm enjoying this as a dialogue as I've discovered some interesting things, sorry if my "kindly stop" comment may've seemed like we are an aggressive community. We really aren't, we love just about everyone. Not that guy. drako's totally right, I've already reported the guy to the mods, as I'm sure others have, and he won't be around long.

PS It may get lost changing pages but please check out my stats on the top 100 on the page prior as I think you might find it interesting!

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Holdenandthejets

• Posted: 07/15/2014 07:07
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
Oh, also, some stats. As almost all of the albums on this site are post-1963 AKA modern contemporary, we're going to say that this site focuses on music from the past 51 years. There is 1 pre-1963 album in the top 100, but we're just not going to count that either way for these statistics.

Post-1990 therefore counts for 47% of the time in music that is represented on this site.

Pre-1990 therefore counts for the other 53% of the time.

Hypothetically, that means that 47 albums in the top 100 should be post-1990 and 53 should be pre-1990, if we just assume that it's a split based solely on the amount of time.

What one finds actually, is 41 albums in the top 100 post-1990 and 58 pre-1990.

Which actually shows a bias towards more classic albums and some preference towards value over the years.

/stats

That also means that the past 20 years of music would account for nearly half of the top 100…while the 30 years prior would amount for only slightly more than half (very slightly, really). That's a bias in favor of the past 20 years.

Eh, with the real numbers applied it comes out roughly even with a sliiiight bias towards post 1990s.
benpaco

United States

• Posted: 07/15/2014 07:15
  • Post subject:
Holdenandthejets wrote:
That also means that the past 20 years of music would account for nearly half of the top 100…while the 30 years prior would amount for only slightly more than half (very slightly, really). That's a bias in favor of the past 20 years.

Eh, with the real numbers applied it comes out roughly even with a sliiiight bias towards post 1990s.

Actually if one looks at just the past 20 years vs the 31 before it, one comes out with the following stats:

Music in the past 20 years makes up 39% of the time in music history covered by this site.

Music in the 31 years before it makes up the other 51% of the time in music.

31% of albums in the top 100 were released between 1994 and today.

68% of albums in the top 100 were released between 1963 and 1993.

Which still shows bias towards the older music. At least statistically speaking, you know how statistics never show the full story.

EDIT: Again, the other 1% of albums in the top 100 were released between 6600 BC and 1962 AD.

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco

United States

• Posted: 07/15/2014 07:51
  • Post subject:
ice wrote:
your fathers weigh 160

you sister wears combat boots

OK usually I pay no attention to trolls but I'm going to come right out and say it: neither of these are bad things.

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Holdenandthejets

• Posted: 07/15/2014 21:35
  • Post subject:
….Ok, you're right. As a Speech and Debate junkie, I cannot deny the statistics. I guess the point I really felt like making was that Radiohead is overrated on this site, but there is no way to objectively prove that, so all is well. Smile
CubaZed

• Posted: 07/15/2014 22:11
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
Again, the other 1% of albums in the top 100 were released between 6600 BC and 1962 AD.

The overall chart also has a horrendous geocentric bias. Can you believe not one album on the overall originates from outside Earth's atmosphere? Despicable xenophobic bigots.
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 07/15/2014 23:09
  • Post subject:
CubaZed wrote:
The overall chart also has a horrendous geocentric bias. Can you believe not one album on the overall originates from outside Earth's atmosphere? Despicable xenophobic bigots.

CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco

United States

• Posted: 07/15/2014 23:26
  • Post subject:
Holdenandthejets wrote:
….Ok, you're right. As a Speech and Debate junkie, I cannot deny the statistics. I guess the point I really felt like making was that Radiohead is overrated on this site, but there is no way to objectively prove that, so all is well. Smile

For what it's worth, I think they're overrated in general! Lots of stuff that better represents our generation out there, both modern and classic, it's all good Smile

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website