What is more accurate?

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jabapac

Bahrain

• Posted: 02/13/2012 07:42
  • Post subject: What is more accurate?
What do you think is more accurate and make better representation to items' value here? the charts based on rating system (0 - 100 scale), or the charts based on members' ranking charts?

I find the first one more accurate mathematically, but it seems like users giving more attention to the second one.

So, what do you think?
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/13/2012 11:14
  • Post subject:
I'm not sure either on the their own are more accurate than the other. With ratings, there is the problem that people only tend to rate very highly the stuff that they like (no middle ground), and it's easy to hate on things when they don't. People also assign a very bad or good rating to manipulate the average (you just have to look at some members voting patterns to see that).

Charts have less of this problem. Because you can only choose 100 albums, you have to pick more carefully the albums that you want to include. This suffers a bit from vote stuffing (multiple registrations), but this is less of a problem than for ratings and is more easily policed.
  • Visit poster's website
Jabapac

Bahrain

• Posted: 02/13/2012 14:08
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
I'm not sure either on the their own are more accurate than the other. With ratings, there is the problem that people only tend to rate very highly the stuff that they like (no middle ground), and it's easy to hate on things when they don't. People also assign a very bad or good rating to manipulate the average (you just have to look at some members voting patterns to see that).

That's right, but since that there are many of bad users around, there is a balance as a result in the end, if you think about it, because not all abusers are abusing the same, even for the same item. so it won't make that imaginary abuse.

albummaster wrote:
Charts have less of this problem. Because you can only choose 100 albums, you have to pick more carefully the albums that you want to include. This suffers a bit from vote stuffing (multiple registrations), but this is less of a problem than for ratings and is more easily policed.

Charts have defects, one is the popularity factor. which affects the chances of an album to show up the charts.
Another defect is if an album has many fans and many haters alongside. because haters in this case like if they don't exist. as you know, charts here are for your favorites not worst, so this album will get a high rank in the overall chart which doesn't deserve. in the other hand, if an album has not that many fans but alongside with a few haters, it won't make the charts like the first one, and will get lower overall ranking even if - in fact - it's better than the first one in whole.
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 02/13/2012 14:50
  • Post subject:
i think more people put more thought behind the ranking than the rating. However, the rating SHOULD be more accurate as there could be huge amounts of disparity between ranked albums not properly captured by a simple ranking. (Meaning, #39 might be worth a 75 to you but #40 drops to 70 or lower.)
  • Visit poster's website
Jabapac

Bahrain

• Posted: 02/16/2012 09:11
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
People also assign a very bad or good rating to manipulate the average (you just have to look at some members voting patterns to see that).

I guess there is another reason for that alongside the abusing one, which that what you most love or hate is more memorable and coming up to mind than other ones.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 02/16/2012 09:48
  • Post subject:
The thing to consider as well is that there is inconsistency between how people rate things. Not everybody's 100 will be the same as another's. Some people only rate one or two albums as perfect, others consider most of their collection as perfect. Somebody that only gives a 100 once in a while probably rates an album a lot more than another person who dishes a 100 out for fun. There is no easy way of capturing that.

Personally, I think the process of including an album in your chart forces you to put them in a particular order of favourability, and means you end up with a sequence of albums from 'best' to 'worst' which is actually a much more cognitive way of ranking/evaluating a set of albums, than having a narrow spread of ratings falling between 80 and 100 which are easily subject to manipulation. I'm not saying that this method is perfect either, but it certainly has at least as much merit as rating something.
  • Visit poster's website
Jabapac

Bahrain

• Posted: 02/16/2012 12:56
  • Post subject:
I see, so with the defects ranking has, we can merge both's results to a much more accurate one if could, and I guess it would be an innovation by BEA.
  • Visit poster's website