Best AND most disastrous reunions

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
demetrios

Greece

• Posted: 02/16/2012 16:27
  • Post subject: Best AND most disastrous reunions
I've just read that Guns'n Roses might be reuniting later this year.
And I thought "great"
But then I thought... so many times you get great bands that split up. And then they reunite and they record new stuff and... they SUCK. And you start to think "NOT SO GREAT after all". Or "maybe they should have NOT done it. It would have been better for their reputation".

Examples?
Which reunions, you think, produced good albums (we're not talking here about groups that reunite just for a tour, we're talking about productive reunions).
And which reunions you thought were REALLY disastrous?

I for one am hoping that the Stone Roses are not going to disappoint us.
Still... I think... it's a difficult task!
  • Visit poster's website
Johnny Flynn

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2012 22:02
  • Post subject: Re: Best AND most disastrous reunions
demetrios wrote:
And I thought "great"
But then I thought... so many times you get great bands that split up. And then they reunite and they record new stuff and... they SUCK. And you start to think "NOT SO GREAT after all". Or "maybe they should have NOT done it. It would have been better for their reputation".

Examples?
Which reunions, you think, produced good albums (we're not talking here about groups that reunite just for a tour, we're talking about productive reunions).

The Eagles while really bad before became putrid with their awful reunion.
  • Visit poster's website
nrs182

Colombia

• Posted: 02/16/2012 22:09
  • Post subject:
I'm worried about the Beach Boys reunion, but i feel optimistic about the Stone Roses actually. About guns n roses I think they will just play for the hall fo fame induction and that's it, I dont expect a new album with Slash and Axl together.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2012 22:18
  • Post subject:
Guns 'N' Roses...yuck. An overrated band with one good record that was out of material in 2 albums proving that the Rock & Roll HOF is a total waste of time and space will also prove that any kind of reunion will also prove to be the same.

Reunions are pretty much always bad and produce very little worth listening to. I wouldn't get too excited about any kind of Stone Roses thing.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Chemical Smile

Guatemala

• Posted: 02/16/2012 22:51
  • Post subject: Re: Best AND most disastrous reunions
Johnny Flynn wrote:
demetrios wrote:
And I thought "great"

Examples?

The Eagles while really bad before became putrid with their awful reunion.

I have this same hesitation with GnR....too be honest i'd be surprised if it even comes off regarding the amount of hatred/shit thrown up between the current members (Axel) and past (Slash).....it would be truely awesome if Axel, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steve and Duff got together and performed 'Sweet Child O'Mine', 'Paradise City' and 'It's So Easy' Cool

My ultimate frustration though is directed towards Smashing Pumpkins. This was the band i grew up with and loved with a passion. When they broke up in 2000 (without Darcy tho) I thanked myself lucky enough to catch one of their final concerts @ Wembley Area in London. I was really disappointed with Zeigeist, and now with all the rent-a-members currently in the 'band' it's just not the Pumpkins. Really, Billy should have just come up with a different name and preserved the legacy of the Pumpkins. Don't get me wrong, he's a great songwriter, but i wish he could just see that it's over and it's better to venture on not using the name and legacy of his previous (and perhaps, only) successful band and try and start afresh.

My other issue concerning this is with the reformed Pixies. Like many other people, I was excited that i could see a band that i really got into after they had broken up. I saw them on their 1st nostalgia trek back in 2004 and it was great to finally hear all the tracks live that i'd fallen in love with. But since then they've turned into some kind of greatest hits machine, touring year after year playing the same songs while not releasing any new material. My disgust reached a height when i read an interview with Frank Black where he said they'd play any gig depending on the payout.....that tarnished my view of them, and in my eyes, ruined a very reputable band and went against the very values they held....
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 02/17/2012 03:58
  • Post subject:
After Steven Tyler nearly killed himself in a motorbike accident, Joe Perry and Brad Whitford visited him in the hospital, laying the groundwork for an Aerosmith reunion. While their 70s work is better, they still produced quality work after getting back together.
  • Visit poster's website
yepyepyep

Australia

• Posted: 02/17/2012 05:23
  • Post subject:
Swans reformed and produced a good album. The worst reunion is probably Smashing Pumpkins, who at this point only has Billy as an orignal member, which kind of defeats the whole point of a band reunion.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 02/17/2012 12:58
  • Post subject:
junodog4 wrote:
After Steven Tyler nearly killed himself in a motorbike accident, Joe Perry and Brad Whitford visited him in the hospital, laying the groundwork for an Aerosmith reunion. While their 70s work is better, they still produced quality work after getting back together.

The thing with Aerosmith, though, is that they never actually broke up, and they never stopped making albums even with Perry & Whitford gone.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 02/17/2012 13:02
  • Post subject:
yepyepyep wrote:
Swans reformed and produced a good album. The worst reunion is probably Smashing Pumpkins, who at this point only has Billy as an orignal member, which kind of defeats the whole point of a band reunion.

Swans was always Michael Gira and a revolving door of musicians...more of a solo act than an acrtual band, really.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 02/17/2012 15:54
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
Reunions are pretty much always bad and produce very little worth listening to. I wouldn't get too excited about any kind of Stone Roses thing.

I'm optimistic. Smile
  • Visit poster's website