Best albums? ... a round circle?

View previous topic :: View next topic
ponkine

Chile

• Posted: 03/13/2012 20:46
  • Post subject: Best albums? ... a round circle?
Hi ya! Very Happy

I've been here for just a couple of days, but so far so good Cool

Anyway, I've noticed something: When I press "home" some "random" albums appear ... guess what ... the same, always the SAME albums

- Ok Computer, Revolver, Dark Side of The Moon, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love them all! but come on! how come someone could find new music or get a wider view of the so-called "best albums" if the same are there all the time?

This is suppossed to be a site to also develop more diverse music interests, not to do a copy-paste from the same (ab)used "essential" albums and bands that still plague media reviews, right?

I think there should be a random rotation from bands and albums. Also, more complete discographies should be there. (in some cases, bands or artists with 20+ albums have only a couple of them here!)

Finally, I think there would be some sort of classification, like "Best folk albums", "best hard rock", "best progressive rock", "best grunge", "best pop", "best heavy metal", etc, etc.

Hope it helps
Cheers Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 03/13/2012 22:03
  • Post subject:
genre tags are coming. as far as finding new music, the best route is going through the user charts until you find one that looks interesting, and picking out future listening based on what you haven't heard
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/14/2012 17:46
  • Post subject: Re: Best albums? ... a round circle?
ponkine wrote:
Anyway, I've noticed something: When I press "home" some "random" albums appear ... guess what ... the same, always the SAME albums

Agree, most of them are the same but the rankings here don't change over night. It probably could be freshened up somehow to add a bit more variety.

ponkine wrote:
I think there should be a random rotation from bands and albums. Also, more complete discographies should be there. (in some cases, bands or artists with 20+ albums have only a couple of them here!)

yes, maybe this is a way of freshening things up. I don't think making it totally random would work though, I think it has to be seeded somehow. The reason for the gaps in artist discographies is that only albums that appear in people's charts are on this site.

ponkine wrote:
Finally, I think there would be some sort of classification, like "Best folk albums", "best hard rock", "best progressive rock", "best grunge", "best pop", "best heavy metal", etc, etc.

Yes, as purple mentioned, this is coming this year (& is long overdue).

thanks for all the feedback, and keep the ideas coming...
  • Visit poster's website