Album of the day (#490): OK Computer by Radiohead

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 03/24/2012 14:01
  • Post subject:
All I can say is........well, Kid A was much better. Though OK Computer IS in my top 110 (NOT in my top 100, as anybody can see by looking at my chart).

Don't really see how it could even be in the top THREE of BEA, though. Top 10 I can understand, but how it can be #1 is just confusing.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States

• Posted: 03/24/2012 14:26
  • Post subject:
Eggman/Walrus/Taxman wrote:
All I can say is........well, Kid A was much better. Though OK Computer IS in my top 110 (NOT in my top 100, as anybody can see by looking at my chart).

Don't really see how it could even be in the top THREE of BEA, though. Top 10 I can understand, but how it can be #1 is just confusing.

Apparently it's accumulated more points than any other album using the sites formula...so a ton of people have it on their charts, and a ton of people have it very high. (#6 on mine I believe).

Obviously you realize this, and I'm not trying to be a dick, but my point is it isn't there by accident. I get why people think it shouldn't be there, but I have no problem with it being #1 at all. I just think OK was that perfect balance between the early accessible and rocking Radiohead, and the later experimental and expansive Radiohead. It's all personal preference which one people prefer, but in many ways I think OK Computer has the best of both.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 03/24/2012 14:28
  • Post subject:
pearljammer13 wrote:
Apparently it's accumulated more points than any other album using the sites formula...so a ton of people have it on their charts, and a ton of people have it very high. (#6 on mine I believe).

Obviously you realize this, and I'm not trying to be a dick, but my point is it isn't there by accident. I get why people think it shouldn't be there, but I have no problem with it being #1 at all. I just think OK was that perfect balance between the early accessible and rocking Radiohead, and the later experimental and expansive Radiohead. It's all personal preference which one people prefer, but in many ways I think OK Computer has the best of both.

Sure, I know that. Just stating my opinion.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 03/25/2012 02:14
  • Post subject:
I always liked OK Computer. It was in my top 10 for a while. A few months back, though, it all clicked. The music became perfect, as well as the lyrics. It seemed like Radiohead had presented the human condition in one beautiful soundscape, and then with the Tourist forces you back to your own life.

When I'm not feeling romantic, though, this album does have a problem: Side 2. It's just nowhere near as good as side 1. I find myself tuning out whenever Electioneering plays. I don't even notice Climbing Up The Walls, and then No Surprises comes on and I pay attention again (second best track on the record). Then Lucky and The Tourist, which are both nice to listen to, but not the grandiose tunes of side 1. Does anyone else agree with me?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States

• Posted: 03/25/2012 11:34
  • Post subject:
revolver94 wrote:
I always liked OK Computer. It was in my top 10 for a while. A few months back, though, it all clicked. The music became perfect, as well as the lyrics. It seemed like Radiohead had presented the human condition in one beautiful soundscape, and then with the Tourist forces you back to your own life.

When I'm not feeling romantic, though, this album does have a problem: Side 2. It's just nowhere near as good as side 1. I find myself tuning out whenever Electioneering plays. I don't even notice Climbing Up The Walls, and then No Surprises comes on and I pay attention again (second best track on the record). Then Lucky and The Tourist, which are both nice to listen to, but not the grandiose tunes of side 1. Does anyone else agree with me?

I do agree that the first half is the better half, but it seems we have total opposite opinions of the best songs on the second half. I think Electioneering, Lucky, and The Tourist are the 3 best songs of the second half. I love the way Electioneering breaks in after Fitter Happier, it's eerie as hell, which I'm assuming is just what they were going for. But yeah the first half is definitely a bit better I think.
  • Visit poster's website
WillWill1989

Australia

• Posted: 03/27/2012 03:31
  • Post subject:
AMAZING ALBUM.

best tracks IMO: Karma Police, Airbag, Paranoid Android, Let Down, No Surprises, Subterranean Homesick Alien, Exit Music (for a film)

• Posted: 03/27/2012 05:55
  • Post subject:
pearljammer13 wrote:
I do agree that the first half is the better half, but it seems we have total opposite opinions of the best songs on the second half. I think Electioneering, Lucky, and The Tourist are the 3 best songs of the second half. I love the way Electioneering breaks in after Fitter Happier, it's eerie as hell, which I'm assuming is just what they were going for. But yeah the first half is definitely a bit better I think.

Hmmm. I'd say that the first half is more consistent (Airbag, Paranoid Android, Subterranean Homesick Alien, Exit Music, and Karma Police are all great songs) but the second half is where most of the album's best work comes out. The Tourist is the most emotionally resonant song on the album for me, and Lucky is utterly gorgeous. Electioneering is also great, and No Surprises has some gorgeous guitar licks. Fitter Happier's got some eerie background music, but on the whole it and Climbing up the Walls can't compare to the tracks on the first side. Overall, however, I'd say the second half wins that contest.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/27/2012 08:08
  • Post subject:
When I first saw/joined this site and saw this album as best ever - better than any band from the 60s, which is usually the top 10 cannon (beatles, stones, beach boys, velvet underground, bob dylan), I was a bit shocked, so I decided to listen to it, and it gave me a new paradigm. I agree that it is equally as good as a Beatles album and deserves to be at least in the top 10. (but wait it isn't in mine...hmm - I put Kid A...)
  • Visit poster's website
Mike43

United States

• Posted: 03/27/2012 09:20
  • Post subject:
OK Computer is a classic album, not just because of the classic songs on it, but because of the amazing atmosphere those songs create. I think that is what makes a great Radiohead album (why I like Kid A better). The whole concept of what makes a perfect album is subjective, but this one certainly checks off a lot of boxes on the list. It has (in my opinion) many amazing songs, near-perfect cohesion, innovation, and endless replay value.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/27/2012 09:28
  • Post subject:
Mike43 wrote:
OK Computer is a classic album, not just because of the classic songs on it, but because of the amazing atmosphere those songs create. I think that is what makes a great Radiohead album (why I like Kid A better). The whole concept of what makes a perfect album is subjective, but this one certainly checks off a lot of boxes on the list. It has (in my opinion) many amazing songs, near-perfect cohesion, innovation, and endless replay value.

Agreed!!!
  • Visit poster's website