The LRA and KONY 2012

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 03/07/2012 18:27
  • Post subject: The LRA and KONY 2012
Alright, so, I'm pretty sure we've all seen that KONY 2012 video - so let's discuss. Thoughts?

Personally I'm seeing this as just another cause a bunch of stupid kids will attach themselves to, accomplish nothing and then forget about it by the end of the year - much like all the anti-war campaigns since the 60's, the Occupy movement, the Free Tibet initiative, the Hemp Legalization Front, the Free Leonard Peltier movement, everything PETA has ever done ever, etc.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 03/07/2012 18:42
  • Post subject:
I haven't seen the KONY video before but looking it up it seems like it has a good cause. From what I read this moment it is stoping someone who deals with child soldiers, sounds like something worth getting behind.

Change is what makes the world turn. People who get involved with such things should not be written off as "stupid kids". These are people who strive for change and a better world. Although some of those causes you mentioned do have shaky morale ground/motives.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 03/07/2012 18:58
  • Post subject: Re: The LRA and KONY 2012
Jackwc wrote:
Alright, so, I'm pretty sure we've all seen that KONY 2012 video - so let's discuss. Thoughts?

Personally I'm seeing this as just another cause a bunch of stupid kids will attach themselves to, accomplish nothing and then forget about it by the end of the year

100% agree here. I wonder how many times I'll see this on my FB in next couple of days, it could get very annoying.

I'm not against the makers of the video and their cause at all, but I'm not sure the guy's way of doing it will do much good. I mean, the way the whole thing is presented will mostly affect the tweens with short attention span on FB and tumblr, and to them, this is something fashionable, and as you say they will lose interest sooner or later, no matter what happens to Kony.

Although on the other hand, looking through his perspective, it will still give him publicity, which is what he's trying to achieve. It's not like he cares if people joining in on the cause are mostly tweens and soccer moms, nor does he need those people to keep interest for a longer period.
(but then there's another question.. will bigger publicity actually help catch Kony or will it just give the guy an inflated sense of self importance....)
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 03/07/2012 19:10
  • Post subject:
Now, I must remind everyone - the army which Kony leads, the Lord's Resistance Army, is reportedly NINE TIMES THE SIZE OF AL-QUADA, the insurgent force we're CURRENTLY fighting. And we've been fighting Al-Quada for over a decade. Re-posting a video on Facebook will not bring Kony to justice.

• Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/07/2012 19:53
  • Post subject:
it's not as if Kony is walking around freely, the guys been charged by the ICC.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/07/2012 20:04
  • Post subject:
Yeah...It's horrible and all, but I don't think anything is going to be done about it Confused

I see people on facebook changing dp's to "KONY 2012" or some images that represent it.

And that's about it Neutral Other than that, I don't think anyone's doing a damn to stop it. I don't think some people realize that it's an entire army...It's not just the fact that it was made, but it's the fact that it's a HUGE ARMY of people. It'd be another government-funded army/ military that would have to stop it.

Weird that the news just brought this up again (I know the new video was just uploaded), but this's been going on for a few years.

As for actually capturing the guy...might be a bit more difficult than capturing Osama. And how long did that take? Think oh. Right.
  • Visit poster's website
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 03/07/2012 21:42
  • Post subject:
Invisible Children only uses 32% of its money for relief efforts and a fair amount of that cash goes to the Ugandan army. Joseph Kony needs to be stopped but this campaign doesn't deserve your money.

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/post/...ot-trouble

Here are a couple of choice quotes:

Quote:
Invisible Children has been condemned time and time again. As a registered not-for-profit, its finances are public. Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 32% went to direct services (page 6), with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production. This is far from ideal for an issue which arguably needs action and aid, not awareness, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they lack an external audit committee. But it goes way deeper than that.

Quote:
The group is in favour of direct military intervention, and their money supports the Ugandan government’s army and various other military forces. Here’s a photo of the founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons and personnel of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army. Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries”, although Kony is no longer active in Uganda and hasn’t been since 2006 by their own admission. These books each refer to the rape and sexual assault that are perennial issues with the UPDF, the military group Invisible Children is defending.

Go read the article if you need links to his claims. People need to be aware of these things.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
thejoj96

• Posted: 03/08/2012 02:03
  • Post subject:
The next time Kony abducts a kid and gives him/her a gun, the kid should just shoot Kony.
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 03/08/2012 02:26
  • Post subject:
thejoj96 wrote:
The next time Kony abducts a kid and gives him/her a gun, the kid should just shoot Kony.

By that point they're too heavily indoctrinated by him.

Oh, shit, that reminds me - the majority of the LRA army is under the age of 14. Wage a war against the LRA and you'll find a LOT of kids being killed. Kids who practice guerilla warfare and carry machetes. It will not be a very pretty war.

• Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 03/09/2012 01:50
  • Post subject:
At least kids posting the Kony video are showing some kind of awareness... Would you rather they just go back to sharing clips of dogs singing and men getting hit in the nuts? Or better yet - photo-shopped Obama memes?
  • Visit poster's website