The Wire

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Sean

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2012 00:49
  • Post subject: The Wire
IMO the Wire as a television show is better than my top album is an album an my top movie is a movie. Anyone else agree or want to weigh in on what they think is the Greatest work of all time (TV series, Movie, Album, Novel Painting etc.)

http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=3385
  • Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 04/02/2012 00:57
  • Post subject:
Cowboy Bebop, Calvin And Hobbes, Ys, Broodwar Embarassed and Doctor Strangelove. All about the same level
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 04/02/2012 13:25
  • Post subject:
Just a warning about trying to argue about 'The Wire', "You come at the king,you best not miss". Agree 100% with the OP.Don't think i have enjoyed anything as much as 'The Wire'.The reason for this is the characters, I could name at least 50 characters that would be suitable to build a whole show around,yet they are all in the one.It makes you go through a series of emotions like nothing else.I'm watching it currently for the third time and it get better with every watch.Series 1,2,3,4 are only nearly comparable to a few series of The Sopranos and nothing else in terms of TV Dramas, series 5 was not up to the standard of the first four but the final episode is one of the greatest ever.I think i'll stop now because I could go on all day,if you have not experienced 'The Wire' try to remain in that state for as long as possible,as I would kill to be in your position right now.Ohh and also the first few episodes are hard to take in,but fight through it the rewards are endless once you have.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 04/02/2012 17:49
  • Post subject:
I have yet to come across a television show anywhere near better than the best of literature, art, music, or theatre/film. I value certain videogames more so than any television show.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 04/02/2012 18:47
  • Post subject:
To me The Wire is like being able to watch a series of great books (one season - one novel). So much attention to detail, in characters (as DLGGLD said, there are many characters here that would be suitable to have a whole show around them) or in storylines. Fourth season is my favourite, I have to rewatch it ASAP.
But I will say, depending on how the last season of it goes, Breaking Bad may replace it at the top of my favourite series.

And I'll say one more thing. I believe this is the golden age for TV shows. In past, TV series were viewed as something inferior when compared to the feature movies, but now... For one thing, I think the actors are better than they were, the advantages that this format has (like more time to develop the storyline, the characters) are being used in more and more series, I mean especially those, that develop their storyline throughout the season (The Wire is one of them), and aren't a "one case per episode" type of a show.
I don't know when was the last Hollywood comedy, which really made me laugh, but there are several comedy shows that do it regularly (that are either still on air or have been throughout last decade).

The problem with shows is that they are often dependant on TV ratings, which can mean either their premature cancellation, or their overlong stay on the air until the show becomes unwatchable. But I don't think either The Wire or Breaking Bad were hurt by that.
  • Visit poster's website
Cafu86

Denmark

• Posted: 04/02/2012 21:31
  • Post subject:
Can't get enough of the serie, it just never bores me, and always excites me.
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2012 22:01
  • Post subject: Re: The Wire
Sean wrote:
IMO the Wire as a television show is better than my top album is an album an my top movie is a movie. Anyone else agree or want to weigh in on what they think is the Greatest work of all time (TV series, Movie, Album, Novel Painting etc.)

I don't know if I agree, but I think you can definitely make a case for The Wire being the best work of fiction of the past 100 years. It really is just...immaculate. That's the only word that comes to mind. It is a flawless work.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/02/2012 23:46
  • Post subject:
"This is why I don't think I'll ever watch The Wire - it literally cannot be as good as people say"

This is sort of the reason why I've never watched it, I just have the horrible feeling I'm going to be massively dissappointed. I think it's one of those inevitable things though I might aswell give in, everyone here seems to rate it anyway that must be worth something.
40footwolf

United States

• Posted: 04/03/2012 00:03
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
"This is why I don't think I'll ever watch The Wire - it literally cannot be as good as people say"

This is sort of the reason why I've never watched it, I just have the horrible feeling I'm going to be massively dissappointed. I think it's one of those inevitable things though I might aswell give in, everyone here seems to rate it anyway that must be worth something.

You won't be. I thought I would be too; after the first episode I was wondering what the fuss was about. It is really really really really really really really really really something you need to see for yourself.

-John Cassavettes
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/05/2012 00:41
  • Post subject:
40footwolf wrote:
You won't be. I thought I would be too; after the first episode I was wondering what the fuss was about.

Glad you wrote this because that first episode was boooring, I'd give up right now if it weren't for this comment. It'd better pick up though else I'm blaming you!