Bob Dylan,a beginners guide

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 04/09/2012 23:54
  • Post subject: Bob Dylan,a beginners guide
Just got my ticket for FIB and along with The Stone Roses Cool Mr. Bob Dylan is headlining,i've never listened to any of his albums so I'm looking for his essential albums (around 4 or 5) to listen to,was gonna listen to his 5 top rated on here but maybe there is an album or two that might not be as popular but was maybe a career changing album or something(you know what I mean).Thanks in advance =D>
  • Visit poster's website
joyofdivision

• Posted: 04/10/2012 00:07
  • Post subject:

This live album captures Dylan at the peak of his powers, the first half being acoustic and the second half giving birth to folk-rock.

Of his studio albums, I'd start with Blonde on Blonde
sgraham1990

United States

• Posted: 04/10/2012 00:56
  • Post subject:
I'd recommend listening to both "Street Legal" and "Modern Times" along with the more highly rated of his works. Those two albums are two of my favorites that I feel are criminally unappreciated while being great examples of sections of his lengthy career that often get over looked.

With those two, I'd say "Freewheelin' Bob Dylan," "Highway 61 Revisited" and "Blood on the Tracks" make up his most essential studio albums.

I'll also give a nod to joyofdivision's suggestion of "Live 1966." It's my favorite live record by any artist and is absolutely essential.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/10/2012 01:00
  • Post subject:
joyofdivision wrote:

This live album captures Dylan at the peak of his powers, the first half being acoustic and the second half giving birth to folk-rock.

Of his studio albums, I'd start with Blonde on Blonde

Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 04/10/2012 03:30
  • Post subject:
If you stick to the top five you'll do fine. Don't fall for the tricksters trying to get you to favor their personal oddities. His Royal Bobness is so big that his big stuff is the best place to start. If you like it you can explore the quirks from there.
  • Visit poster's website
BlueNote

• Posted: 04/10/2012 03:57
  • Post subject:
If I was in your shoes, I'd listen to Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the Tracks, Time Out of Mind, and "Love and Theft" in that order. That should get you familiar with a mix of the newer and older Dylan you are likely to hear at the show.

Don't get your hopes up for the concert. I've seen Dylan three times. Once he was brilliant. The other two times, it hurts me to say, he sucked.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/10/2012 05:51
  • Post subject:
When dealing with Bob, you have to realize that he is a poet first and musician next. He isn't a bad musician, but his genius lies within his lyrics. I would agree with stick to the top five when investigating any "new" artist, BUT The Times They Are A-Changin' is my favorite album of his.
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 04/10/2012 15:30
  • Post subject:
BlueNote wrote:
If I was in your shoes, I'd listen to Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the Tracks, Time Out of Mind, and "Love and Theft" in that order. That should get you familiar with a mix of the newer and older Dylan you are likely to hear at the show.

Don't get your hopes up for the concert. I've seen Dylan three times. Once he was brilliant. The other two times, it hurts me to say, he sucked.

I gotta agree. I heard that in his advanced years, he wasn't great live, but when he came to my town, I couldn't pass on the opportunity to see a legend. He faced the back of the stage the whole time, and his voice was so incomprehensible I had difficulty understanding which song he was playing. I love Dylan's work, I think he's one the best of all-time and continues to produce strong albums, but this was a sad display. Be forewarned.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 04/10/2012 16:27
  • Post subject:
I'd say Blonde On Blonde and Highway 61 Revisited are his classics. A more personal pick : Another Side of Bob Dylan.
  • Visit poster's website
Error Finn

Finland

• Posted: 04/10/2012 21:25
  • Post subject:
Desire (1976) is a good start. If you are a little bit religious (and you like Dire Straits Very Happy ), Slow Train Coming (1979) is a pearl.