Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 03/05/2013 00:32
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
I wouldn't much doubt that the beatles would sound a lot like this outside the studio (on this particular song that is).

Well the Beatles never toured anything past Rubber Soul, so that's just a prediction (and a factless one at that).
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 03/05/2013 00:33
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
I much prefer the styx version over the beatles. I wouldn't much doubt that the beatles would sound a lot like this outside the studio (on this particular song that is).

Happymeal

• Posted: 03/05/2013 00:40
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:

Lol, I think it was already an established fact I didn't enjoy the beatles so how is your perception of me broken? Not too keen on Styx either though, I just really dislike the vocals on the beatles version of I am the walrus.
JMan

• Posted: 03/05/2013 00:42
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
Lol, I think it was already an established fact I didn't enjoy the beatles so how is your perception of me broken? Not too keen on Styx either though, I just really dislike the vocals on the beatles version of I am the walrus.

Same for me. Really, that's my favorite Beatles cover because Walrus is my favorit Beatles song.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 03/05/2013 00:42
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
I just really dislike the vocals on the beatles version of I am the walrus.

Yes, someone yell-singing the lyrics is much better than the sultry tones of Mr John Lennon

On an unrelated note, how do you feel about Tame Impala? I can hear a lot of similarities between their lead singer and John Lennon.
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused

United States

• Posted: 03/05/2013 00:43
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:

I know you don't like them.. but Styx? Come on man. The Beatles are leagues above Styx.
Happymeal

• Posted: 03/05/2013 00:54
  • Post subject:
Jasonconfused wrote:
I know you don't like them.. but Styx? Come on man. The Beatles are leagues above Styx.

I don't get the hate for styx myself. Sure I dislike maybe their whole 80's disography and not a big fan of what they did in the late 70's, but to me all these arena rock bands sound close enough to each that I really don't get the hate for certain ones (e.g Styx, Journey, etc.) and the love for others (e.g Queen, Kiss, etc.). i think they're all just fairly average overall.

As far as the beatles go, sure there are plenty of songs I love by them (my favorite being Here comes the sun), but there's something to them I dislike, some air to them I just can seem to pass through to understand the massive love they get, something around their music, but I don't hang myself up about these types of things.

And to be honest, let's assume you're correct and it was an established fact that Styx are leagues below the beatles (which is as subjective as anything), then still, it's not like I'm claiming that Styx are better than them in any category (and I would not like to expand my views of this argument here), I just prefer the sound of Styx's cover version over The Beatles original, sure the beatles might be "leagues better", but that doesn't stop someone's ears from preferring one version over the other.
Happymeal

• Posted: 03/05/2013 00:57
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
Yes, someone yell-singing the lyrics is much better than the sultry tones of Mr John Lennon

On an unrelated note, how do you feel about Tame Impala? I can hear a lot of similarities between their lead singer and John Lennon.

To be fair, I couldn't answer this without being incorrect with my opinion, I've only listened to Lonerism and wasn't a huge of it, but I don't dislike it (just like a few beatles albums made later in their career). So, I thought Lonerism was alright, but on par with a lot of the beatles' later work.
JMan

• Posted: 03/05/2013 00:58
  • Post subject:
IMO, the Beatles are better than Styx. But I don't understand any hate toward Styx or Journey, either. I know the bands aren't anywhere near as good as bands like Beatles and Zep, but that doesn't mean they didn't have a few good songs. Take a look at Come Sail Away. That song's so good Cartnan covered it! Mr. Green
Jasonconfused

United States

• Posted: 03/05/2013 01:00
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
I don't get the hate for styx myself. Sure I dislike maybe their whole 80's disography and not a big fan of what they did in the late 70's, but to me all these arena rock bands sound close enough to each that I really don't get the hate for certain ones (e.g Styx, Journey, etc.) and the love for others (e.g Queen, Kiss, etc.). i think they're all just fairly average overall.

As far as the beatles go, sure there are plenty of songs I love by them (my favorite being Here comes the sun), but there's something to them I dislike, some air to them I just can seem to pass through to understand the massive love they get, something around their music, but I don't hang myself up about these types of things.

And to be honest, let's assume you're correct and it was an established fact that Styx are leagues below the beatles (which is as subjective as anything), then still, it's not like I'm claiming that Styx are better than them in any category (and I would not like to expand my views of this argument here), I just prefer the sound of Styx's cover version over The Beatles original, sure the beatles might be "leagues better", but that doesn't stop someone's ears from preferring one version over the other.

I don't think they sound similar at all. Well maybe some. But Queen and KISS? Queen is far more experimental. KISS is very simple, straight forward rock. And you're right, we're all entitled to our own opinions. I just find your opinion to be shocking Razz