Total Votes : 184

RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/25/2016 00:44
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
My favorite discussion about "technical prowess" (see video).

For me (THAT MEANS THIS IS OPINION)... I think technical prowess almost always ends up with the most boring music. That's just me. The most boring music in the world is who can run scales the fastest... I absolutely HATE Van Halen for this reason... I just feel like he runs scales really quick and calls it music. Dream Theater is also kinda boring for this reason. Animals as Leaders... the list goes on. Totally respectable, but also totally boring from my perspective. But again this is my opinion that technical prowess is boring/least interesting thing about music. Jimi Hendrix is a great example of it. Now let's not get this confused with being able to play something musically. Musically playing an instrument is the most beautiful thing in the world and you gotta have some chops/know some music theory to do that. Is it also boring when someone just knows 3 chords... sometimes. Sometimes when someone only knows 3 chords, their music can still be killer.

Link

The key is whether or not the technical prowess is put on display as an athletic exercise or actually in service of the song. With a group like Dragonforce,I am wowed by the athleticism, but not the musicality, so they don't do much for me musically. But to me, the ultimate is when an artist has the combine the two aspects into a seamless, meaningful whole.

Some people can look at a particular mathematical equation, see the core beauty of creation through it, and actually be moved emotionally by that vision. Science and beauty need not be removed from one another; quite the contrary, they are perfectly intertwined for those who recognize it. So it can be with complex music. Studies show that the same part of the brain that processes math, also processes music, so this makes sense to me. Music is frequencies, which all have a specific relation to one another, much like numbers. Music is inherently technical, even if the people making it themselves don't realize it.

Technical wizardry is but one tool in a complete toolbox (maybe two if you thing of technical wizardry in composition and technical wizardry in playing)--the carpenter who has a full set of tools, and knows how to properly use them, can build the best. There are some great three chord songs out there, but if that's all a group can do, they won't hold my interest for long, and most likely will actually become annoying after a while. For instance, I can no longer tolerate CCR--I know a lot of people think Fogerty a great songwriter and his tunes timeless, but I'll be fine if I never hear them again. Certain albums by Dream Theater (not all, as some do seem to be nonstop athletic contests) will always hold my interest.

Well said.

From your chart, I assume the Dream Theater for you that isn't an athletic contest is Images and Words? I'll check it out now! Sometimes I feel Muse does a good job at being able to blow my mind both with musical prowess and heart. I mean they are in no way the most musically technical, but Animals as Leaders, while musically amazing, to me gets a little boring after a while... athletic contests, as you put it can be as monotonous as three chords and the truth... hehe.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 12/25/2016 01:53
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:

From your chart, I assume the Dream Theater for you that isn't an athletic contest is Images and Words? I'll check it out now! Sometimes I feel Muse does a good job at being able to blow my mind both with musical prowess and heart. I mean they are in no way the most musically technical, but Animals as Leaders, while musically amazing, to me gets a little boring after a while... athletic contests, as you put it can be as monotonous as three chords and the truth... hehe.

Yes, Images and Words is their most melodic, and "listenable" album, especially for someone not excited by nonstop pyrotechnics. Make no mistake, it's still chock full of dazzling technical display, and the technical brilliance is also in the complex musical structure as well as the riffs and licks, but there is also beautiful melody and harmony present. Some songs are more conducive to an emotional response than others. I recommend starting with "Another Day." If that does anything for you, then give "Surrounded" a chance. If you're still on board, then the rest of the album should be a go. One song, "Wait for Sleep," is completely devoid of speed--just a short vocal piece supported by a beautiful piano.
  • Visit poster's website
InMyOwnDojo

• Posted: 12/27/2016 18:23
  • Post subject:
Number 1.
  • Visit poster's website