Best Albums of the 1960's Tournament!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Elston

Canada

• Posted: 02/06/2009 23:38
  • Post subject:
Revolver, Sgt Peppers, & Pet Sounds have already been nominated. Thanks for all the info! We can add Meet the Beatles, Rubber Soul, & The Beatles.
  • Visit poster's website
Elston

Canada

• Posted: 02/07/2009 00:09
  • Post subject:
The Beatles are great, one of my favourite bands, a very innovative bunch. They weren't the first to experiment with Indian music though. The sitar actually had a long tradition in the west before George Harrison 'introduced' it on Norwegian Wood. Jazz musicians were playing raga's before the 60's even began and the Folk scene was greatly influenced in the early 60's . Pop musicians were influenced by Indian music and were utilizing the sitar before the Beatles, namely the Yardbirds (first and foremost) and then the Kinks. Norwegian wood is easily the most popular song that reached the most ears, but certainly not the first.
  • Visit poster's website
Byrdsnix

• Posted: 02/07/2009 01:44
  • Post subject:
[quote="Elston"]The Beatles are great, one of my favourite bands, a very innovative bunch. They weren't the first to experiment with Indian music though. The sitar actually had a long tradition in the west before George Harrison 'introduced' it on Norwegian Wood. Jazz musicians were playing raga's before the 60's even began and the Folk scene was greatly influenced in the early 60's . Pop musicians were influenced by Indian music and were utilizing the sitar before the Beatles, namely the Yardbirds (first and foremost) and then the Kinks. Norwegian wood is easily the most popular song that reached the most ears, but certainly not the first.[/quote]

Yes, the Yardbirds used Indian influences but they hired a sitar player and it was never used. What the Beatles or really George Harrison did compared to jazz and the Kinks, Yardbirds was emulate traditional Indian form in instrumentation and form.

"Love you To", was the first pop song to emulate Indian music in form and instrumention. This Indo/Psych/ Pop synthesis was also done on "Within You Without You". Not only that Harrison played the sitar, tamboura, and swarmendal. Roger McGuinn and Jeff Beck never incorporated or played these instruments in. Also Harrison who was guitar drone as early as "Ticket to Ride" used Indian instruments as a drone instrument on more rock orientated songs like "Tomorrow Never Knows" and "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds". What the Beatles did with World Music in rock music certainly opened doors for this kind of experimentation in Rock and Pop Music IMO. Not to take anything away from the Kinks but there is a difference between "See My Friends" to "Love You To"
  • Visit poster's website
Byrdsnix

• Posted: 02/07/2009 01:52
  • Post subject:
Trout Mask Replica - Captain Beefheart (1969) not to be nasty I can't get by his voice and I have a hard time getting through one song of his. Maybe because I am in the Beatles/Byrds/Beach Boys music tradition of melody and harmony. As it is your list is very Piero Scaruffi dominated and the last time I checked he does not know music theory like Stockhausen, Leonard Bernstein, Brian Wilson, Dylan who either praised the Beatles or were amazed at the Beatles chord progressions and harmony.

Hey mate Piper at the Gates of Dawn - Pink Floyd (1968) came out in 1967. I would add the Byrds Mr. Tambourine Man though it does not invent folk rock they were others before doing it namely the Searchers, The Beatles, and the Beu Breummels. To me that does not matter it's the quality of music. It was still a groundbreaking use of folk rock and the 12 string jangle sounds which numerous guitarists copy today.
  • Visit poster's website
Elston

Canada

• Posted: 02/07/2009 02:06
  • Post subject:
Trout Mask Replica is probably the best album I've ever heard. I don't know of a rock album that is more original, emotional, playful, and imaginative. I'm still awed that it was even achieved. That being said, it took me at least 10 listens before I really began to understand how intricate and complex the music is, and how beautifully it all comes together creating a truly rapturous experience. I have listened to it in it's entirety over 40 times, and it still surprises and overwhelms me. Scaruffi's has the best comprehension of musical history of anyone I have read, though I have to admit that his section on the Beatles is frustrating and I don't agree with everything. He does have sections on all of those artists you mentioned.
  • Visit poster's website
Riley

• Posted: 02/07/2009 14:42
  • Post subject:
Elston wrote:
Trout Mask Replica is probably the best album I've ever heard. I don't know of a rock album that is more original, emotional, playful, and imaginative. I'm still awed that it was even achieved. That being said, it took me at least 10 listens before I really began to understand how intricate and complex the music is, and how beautifully it all comes together creating a truly rapturous experience. I have listened to it in it's entirety over 40 times, and it still surprises and overwhelms me. Scaruffi's has the best comprehension of musical history of anyone I have read, though I have to admit that his section on the Beatles is frustrating and I don't agree with everything. He does have sections on all of those artists you mentioned.

Newbie, I have to get this out Scaruffi 60's chronology or rock is not very accurate or it suits his own needs

The Beach Boys were certainly not the first to have a pop hit using electronic instruments in pop music.

The Tornadoes "Telstar" employs electronic instrumentation and the Beatles own "Ticket To Ride" uses a volume pedal. The Dell Shannons “Runaway” 1961 uses a clavioline.

"Red Crayola's Parable Of Arable Land (march) turns psychedelic rock into Abstract sound-painting".

The Beatles "Tomorrow Never Knows" or "Being For the Benifit of Mr. Kite". Both predate the Red Crayola.

"The Silver Apples experiment with electronics in a rock and roll format
Again a number did already in 1966-1967."

The Beatles experimented with electronic music and others in a rock and roll format.

Elston remember I can make the ugliest sounds or the most avant sounding records and still be called original. Captian Beefhart is no different than anyone else he is using elements that were already established and mixed it to his own style. Frankly I don't get it either.
  • Visit poster's website
Elston

Canada

• Posted: 02/07/2009 21:04
  • Post subject:
I certainly didn't insinuate his chronology is perfect.

There's quite a difference between making random sounds and being an avant-garde genius. In fact, it's incredibly difficult to create something as captivating as Trout Mask Replica or Ascension by John Coltrane. If you don't have an appreciation for experimental/avant music, you won't like Beefheart. You won't understand why it is so powerful. Most people who have an appreciation for highly experimental/emotional outpourings of art think that Beefheart is special. Don't get me wrong, some people who like free jazz still think he is overrated, but they can at least understand why people think his music is fantastic. That's cool if you don't get it, but don't assume that its utter garbage until you have sincerely tried to understand it.
  • Visit poster's website
maxxy

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2009 22:02
  • Post subject:
This is supposed to be a TOURNAMENT. if you want to argue about TMR there's another thread for that.
Elston

Canada

• Posted: 02/09/2009 18:57
  • Post subject:
Since we're going to do a jazz tournament afterwords, what do you say we limit it to strictly Rock albums?
  • Visit poster's website
Elston

Canada

• Posted: 02/09/2009 19:02
  • Post subject:
Also, it would make my life easier if everyone attached the recording date to any submitted album. (sorry to be a pain)
  • Visit poster's website