Writing Creepypasta

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 05/07/2012 13:21
  • Post subject: Writing Creepypasta
Has anyone tried their hand at it in the past? Anyone wrote any short stories like it? I was thinking about giving it a go but I wanted to hear from people who have tried it before me (If I get around to it).
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/07/2012 13:31
  • Post subject:
don't do a lost episode one, they're boring as sin. every single one is

bad/dodgy animation (it's almost always an animated show)
Screaming/hysterical voice acting.
people getting murdered.
whole thing is on some vhs or on at dead time (3am and such)
people who made the show never discuss it.
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 05/07/2012 13:38
  • Post subject:
I'm a huge fan of creepypasta. I haven't written one, but in the future I plan to:

A. Fill out an old diary with a creepypasta in diary-entry format and leave it for someone to find.
B. Create a creepypasta entirely in audio format, like Blair Witch with no shakey-cam.

Not sure if these technically count as creepypasta, since I think they're supposed to initally be copypasta in order to get accepted. Which site are you thinking of submitting to?

(Actually I suppose I've had a few practice runs on various BoC tournament threads. Those were fun.)
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 05/07/2012 13:57
  • Post subject:
Those sound like some good ideas from the above. Where would you leave the diary? By a lake? Price it and stick it in antique shop while someone isn't looking? The library perhaps? The attic?

I'm not sure where to put it yet. I just want to get started for the time being.
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 05/07/2012 17:11
  • Post subject:
Me and some friends from my bygone fine-art-major days are doing an art project together, an avant-garde video game/horror story more or less in the vein of creepypasta.

We've spent a lot of time brainstorming the creative aspects, and now I'm writing out the events and s"story" while they do all that coding and other computery computer stuff that I know little to nothing about.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 05/07/2012 22:07
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
Me and some friends from my bygone fine-art-major days are doing an art project together, an avant-garde video game/horror story more or less in the vein of creepypasta.

We've spent a lot of time brainstorming the creative aspects, and now I'm writing out the events and s"story" while they do all that coding and other computery computer stuff that I know little to nothing about.

Very Happy

What ideas do you have so far? I read a cracked article a few days ago where it discussed how good a subtle horror game will be. Do you have any subtle ideas in your story?
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 05/08/2012 04:58
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
:D

What ideas do you have so far? I read a cracked article a few days ago where it discussed how good a subtle horror game will be. Do you have any subtle ideas in your story?

Well, one of the major things we've been discussing is what makes a game "scary", and have come to find that a REAL scary game is one which is scary to PLAY, engaging the player directly in the horror. We were inspired a lot by a lot of creepypasta and the way it engages the reader, namely The Haunted Majora's Mask Cartridge and The Slenderman Chronicles, and ARGs like ilovebees.

The game will be distributed on blank, unmarked discs and play like a overly-buggy and corrupted game, but the "bugs" will actually help subtly construct narrative that the player has to figure out as the "haunted" game slowly begins to warp itself to keep the player from playing onwards. I might post some of my script drafts here after.

• Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 05/14/2012 08:51
  • Post subject:
I so very much want to play Jackwc's game.

Sub-question: What are your favourite creepypastas?

Also An_Outlaw, I suggest creepypastaindex.com, since it still seems to be going strong.
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 05/14/2012 16:20
  • Post subject:
Shit, I totally forgot about this thread...

@an_outlaw you should typically put your creepypasta some place where people aren't necessarily looking for or expecting creepypasta. Viral ARGs are a great example of this; make the reader feel like an active part of the story, like they've stumbled upon some horrible secret.

My own "creepypasta" is coming along pretty nicely. We've got a good twenty pages of notes and "stoty" jotted down, and they've started work on the town (which we've come to jokingly refer to as "Dog River") and its denizens.

• Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 05/14/2012 21:50
  • Post subject:
Jackwc wrote:
Shit, I totally forgot about this thread...

@an_outlaw you should typically put your creepypasta some place where people aren't necessarily looking for or expecting creepypasta. Viral ARGs are a great example of this; make the reader feel like an active part of the story, like they've stumbled upon some horrible secret.

My own "creepypasta" is coming along pretty nicely. We've got a good twenty pages of notes and "stoty" jotted down, and they've started work on the town (which we've come to jokingly refer to as "Dog River") and its denizens.

It seems to be the direction your taking, which I might add I would want to try your idea.

How could it be done without advance knowledge of computers though? Would it involve leaving something for someone to find? Giving them numbers or email addresses? They may end up not participating very fast.