The Student Protests in Quebec | Marijuana Legalization

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Should Canada offer free undergraduate education?
Yes
50%
 50%  [3]
No
50%
 50%  [3]
Total Votes : 6

HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/06/2012 11:30
  • Post subject:
Oh and out of interest Jack, what about primary and secondary education, are they are priveledge or a commodity to be bartered for? If not then what sets them apart from university education?

And what about healthcare, is that a priveledge aswell?
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 06/06/2012 11:33
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
Oh and out of interest Jack, what about primary and secondary education, are they are priveledge or a commodity to be bartered for? If not then what sets them apart from university education?

And what about healthcare, is that a priveledge aswell?

Everything is a priveledge!

Quit whining and go steal some healthcare
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/06/2012 11:59
  • Post subject:
Primary and Secondary school should be government paid, and it's a good thing they are. You need that to amount to anything.

University though? No, you can cope perfectly fine without it. It shouldn't be ridiculously high, but it shouldn't be free either.
  • Visit poster's website
Jackwc
Queen Of The Forums

Canada

• Posted: 06/06/2012 13:14
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
Im not talking about everybody going to university, I'm talking about the best and brightests being able to go to university regardless of who their parents are. Education is not a commodity, like cars or food, it's a heck of a lot more valuable than that.

Your answer to the problem is that if you have the misfortune of being born to poor parents, then flip burgers? So you don't give a shit about fairness or social mobility? Jeez I can't really express how much I disagree with everything you've just said.

If those kids are bright enough then those kids will get scholarships. That's what scholarships are for, so bright kids who don't have the income can go to university.

Also, it just struck me that you come from the US, where a good post-secondary costs a BAZILLION TRILLION DOLLARS, and yes, I think that's wrong.

Music sucks. Check out my favourite movies, fam:
http://letterboxd.com/jackiegigantic/
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 06/06/2012 13:34
  • Post subject:
I gotta side with Higherthanthesun on this. There really aren't like millions of scholarships floating around. And what about the plethora of rich idiots who go through? that seems messed up. As long as entry scores maintain a reasonable cut off, you'll still have your burger flippers. And I don't know how much experience you've had in the job market but there's not really any shortage of 'burger-flippers' even the most menial of jobs are hard to get.
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/06/2012 18:23
  • Post subject:
I don't get it... the US way of doing things is what an unsubsidised and unregulated university system looks like, which I thought is what you supported?

I'm not even fundamentally opposed to people paying for their university education provided that it's not ridiculously expensive and the money is available to borrow (fairly) if people can't afford it. In the UK the government will lend you the entirety of your tuition fees to be paid back once you're earning, the poorest students get grants also.

Despite this I'd still argue that the burden of £30-40,000 debt (forget about courses longer than 3 years, far too expensive) is a massive factor for young people deciding whether to pursue university education and is fundamentally unfair. That's why I opposed the trebling of tuition fees in the UK and would like to imagine that one day we'll offer university education for free as is done in many other European countries.

I find the very idea that something like education should be the preserve of those who have money pretty appalling, that's a sure way to create a very unfair and unequal society.
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/06/2012 18:25
  • Post subject:
And don't give me that scholarships crap, you have to be fucking genius to get hold of one of them. I mean I ain't stupid but I'm miles away from getting any sort of scholarship.
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 06/07/2012 00:46
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
And don't give me that scholarships crap, you have to be fucking genius to get hold of one of them. I mean I ain't stupid but I'm miles away from getting any sort of scholarship.

There are other scholarships than for being a good student. Try for a minority, single mom, or veterans daughter scholarship instead.
  • Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 06/07/2012 00:47
  • Post subject:
Walks in

Brags about 3 scholarships in college

Walks out
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/07/2012 01:47
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
There are other scholarships than for being a good student. Try for a minority, single mom, or veterans daughter scholarship instead.

Yeah we don't have them over here, still I'd like to know what percentage those make up of total admissions.

Fuck off Pam.