Teenage Epitome

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Yourselfisntsteam

• Posted: 07/14/2012 17:54
  • Post subject:
Somehow I think the first half of this review of Trout Mask might be interesting/relevant to this discussion about kids liking Beefheart/weird music/whatever (maybe it isn't but I am posting it anyways screw you): http://www.fastnbulbous.com/beefheart_trout.htm

excerpts from it if you are too lazy to click on links:

For the same reason that my uncle found the album difficult, frustrating and annoying, I found it funny and entertaining. I believed it was a children’s record. And who’s to say it wasn’t? I was five years old, and Trout Mask Replica was my favorite record. It was made just for me....

....Perhaps for the same reason that James Joyce admitted, if read aloud to a child, Ulysses would be better understood by the child than the adult. Did Joyce and Beefheart have children in mind when they created their works? Probably not. But perhaps in their efforts to create something startlingly new, they tapped into some of the imagination they all but lost since childhood.
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 07/14/2012 18:14
  • Post subject:
Yourselfisntsteam wrote:
Somehow I think the first half of this review of Trout Mask might be interesting/relevant to this discussion about kids liking Beefheart/weird music/whatever (maybe it isn't but I am posting it anyways screw you): http://www.fastnbulbous.com/beefheart_trout.htm

excerpts from it if you are too lazy to click on links:

For the same reason that my uncle found the album difficult, frustrating and annoying, I found it funny and entertaining. I believed it was a children’s record. And who’s to say it wasn’t? I was five years old, and Trout Mask Replica was my favorite record. It was made just for me....

....Perhaps for the same reason that James Joyce admitted, if read aloud to a child, Ulysses would be better understood by the child than the adult. Did Joyce and Beefheart have children in mind when they created their works? Probably not. But perhaps in their efforts to create something startlingly new, they tapped into some of the imagination they all but lost since childhood.

Yeah, I had read that review before. I really liked it, especially those portions you pointed out.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 07/14/2012 18:38
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
It's an expression. Saying to someone "You would...(do such and such)" means "Wow, I didn't expect you to, but I guess you are the type of person who would actually go and do that".

And what it has to do with Beefheart not being that popular is that no one is going to complain about a horror movie being scary, but everyone complains about weird movies being weird. Just try showing a friend who isn't into experimental filmmaking the movie Eraserhead and you'll see what I mean. We as humans have trouble accepting what goes against the standard. Horror movies, on the other hand, are so standardized it hurts.

I wasn't actually trying to find somebody, you know Laughing When I met him, I didn't even think of you at first. It just......happened.

I get your point about horror movies being standardized. I was just thinking that it's pointless to complain about the weirdness of something that's supposed to be weird. I guess it also has to do with your idea of fun: to some, it is the familiar and reliable, to others it's the unexpected and the nonconforming, and your expectations of a particular work.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/14/2012 18:41
  • Post subject:
Looks like this has turned into some sort of Official Captain Beefheart thread.
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 07/14/2012 18:44
  • Post subject:
The Poe wrote:
Looks like this has turned into some sort of Official Captain Beefheart thread.

Not that that's a bad thing.

Though technically it is.

We'll have to wait for some sane person to go back to the original topic.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/14/2012 18:46
  • Post subject:
Original topic? You mean the Official "let's question Eggman's age" thread?
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 07/14/2012 18:50
  • Post subject:
The Poe wrote:
Original topic? You mean the Official "let's question Eggman's age" thread?

If somebody wants to continue that..........they're certainly not welcome. It was a stupid discussion, I don't know why people can't accept that I am 12 years old.

No, I say we either keep talking about Beefheart, or we go back to whatever the original post was about.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/14/2012 18:57
  • Post subject:
I'm totally cool with the Beefheart thing. I love that dude's style. I have highly considered TMR for my chart.
thejoj96

• Posted: 07/14/2012 19:01
  • Post subject:
Safe As Milk is awesome and a few other of his albums are good but TMR was Beefheart's failed experiment and is almost as bad as Limp Bizkit.
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 07/14/2012 19:01
  • Post subject:
The Poe wrote:
I'm totally cool with the Beefheart thing. I love that dude's style. I have highly considered TMR for my chart.

TMR is a great album. Have you listened to any other Magic Band albums?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website