Hey Jude = one of the best songs of 2000?!

View previous topic :: View next topic
dbone828

Canada

• Posted: 06/12/2012 15:54
  • Post subject: Hey Jude = one of the best songs of 2000?!
I absolutely love Best Ever Albums, but when it comes to the top-rated songs/tracks, the system becomes a little flawed when people rate songs from compilation/greatest hits albums released years, sometimes decades after the song's initial release. The result: a song like The Beatles' "Hey Jude" has become one of the top songs of the year 2000 (it is also listed for 1973 and 1988, etc.), but the song was released as a single in 1968 when it became a #1 smash hit!

I know this could take awhile, but one feature I would love would be the option to change the original release dates of individual tracks if they weren't originally released on the album they appear on.

Also, how many appearances of the same song do we need on an artist's top-rated songs? Often there are multiple versions of the exact same recordings. It would also be nice if a song is already listed on Best Ever Albums, that all ratings for that song would go to the same place, and all be counted together.

Could take a while to fix everything, but I think it would paint a much more accurate picture of the top songs from certain time frames.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 06/12/2012 16:29
  • Post subject:
Agree with you, and I should add one more thing here: for Various Artists compilations, there should also be a way to add artists to individual songs, not in the name I mean (which has been done anyway, and is basically the problem that should be solved), but properly, so that a song by a particular artist will be included with all the other songs from that artist which are already under that artist's name. The album is by Various Artists, yes, but the individual songs aren't, right?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Borve Baunehoj

• Posted: 06/12/2012 16:55
  • Post subject:
The top rated songs section is definitely flawed. It claims that A Day in the Life is greatest song of all time.
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 06/12/2012 17:01
  • Post subject:
Borve Baunehoj wrote:
The top rated songs section is definitely flawed. It claims that A Day in the Life is greatest song of all time.

Yeah, you would have thought people would realise by now that Tomorrow Never Knows is actually the best song of all time.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/12/2012 18:23
  • Post subject: Re: Hey Jude = one of the best songs of 2000?!
dbone828 wrote:
I absolutely love Best Ever Albums, but when it comes to the top-rated songs/tracks, the system becomes a little flawed when people rate songs from compilation/greatest hits albums released years, sometimes decades after the song's initial release. The result: a song like The Beatles' "Hey Jude" has become one of the top songs of the year 2000 (it is also listed for 1973 and 1988, etc.), but the song was released as a single in 1968 when it became a #1 smash hit!

Totally agree with you. This is something on the 'to do' list. The fix that has been suggested before is to merge the tracks together, where they are the 'same', so that the ratings are shared between them, and use the earliest (album) year of release for the purpose of the top-rated charts so that the same track doesn't appear in multiple year charts. Different mixes of the same song, acoustic versions, live performances etc should still be differentiated.

dbone828 wrote:
Also, how many appearances of the same song do we need on an artist's top-rated songs? Often there are multiple versions of the exact same recordings. It would also be nice if a song is already listed on Best Ever Albums, that all ratings for that song would go to the same place, and all be counted together.

I think this is an artefact of the same problem and would be fixed by merging the tracks together.

Eggman/Walrus/Taxman wrote:
for Various Artists compilations, there should also be a way to add artists to individual songs, not in the name I mean (which has been done anyway, and is basically the problem that should be solved), but properly, so that a song by a particular artist will be included with all the other songs from that artist which are already under that artist's name. The album is by Various Artists, yes, but the individual songs aren't, right?

This is a bigger change, but probably should be done as well (but quite a lot of work to do this, so something for the back-burner until the 2012 road map is completed).
  • Visit poster's website
dbone828

Canada

• Posted: 06/13/2012 01:27
  • Post subject: Re: Hey Jude = one of the best songs of 2000?!
albummaster wrote:
Totally agree with you. This is something on the 'to do' list. The fix that has been suggested before is to merge the tracks together, where they are the 'same', so that the ratings are shared between them, and use the earliest (album) year of release for the purpose of the top-rated charts so that the same track doesn't appear in multiple year charts. Different mixes of the same song, acoustic versions, live performances etc should still be differentiated.

This would still be problematic for songs that were single-only releases and didn't appear on an album form until years after their original release, when they were collected for a compilation. The earliest this would push "Hey Jude" back to would be 1973 (when it appeared on 1967-1970), 5 years after its single release. Any possible way of being able to set the original single release dates for songs that made their debuts on compilation albums years later?
  • Visit poster's website